Used 2003 Ford Escape XLS Popular SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Wonderful SUV!!!
By goldsend

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car! It's car foundation gives it handling that is perfect for the city, but it is substantial enough that light trails hardly felt any different than the road. It only has a 15 gallon gas tank so when on the highway I have to stop often to fill the tank. I bought the new 'Gold Ash' color(very distinctive). The back seat is roomy and I have personally fit three kids and a dog in the back at once and everybody was still comfortable. My chief complaint is knob placement inside. The knob's are grouped close to the steering wheel and difficult to see sometimes. Other than these relativly minor complaints overall a great car for any active person.

V6 gives it plenty of pep. Handling is great. Visibility all around is fantastic.

A larger gas tank would be nice. Knob and switch placement could be done better. Plastic interior faces look cheaply made.

Love my Escape
By Cherona

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am ecstatic about my new Ford Escape. It's not too big or too small, drives great, has a little pep in its pickup and for a SUV it's pretty darn good on gas. I'm glad that I chose my Escape over the Hyundai Santa Fe and Chevy Blazer. I couldn't be happier.

V-6, power windows and locks, rear window wiper.

The grey interior seats seem to pick up everything. I would suggest some sort of stain guard standard.

I LOVE IT!
By Pprecious

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is awesome. It does not feel top heavy. It drives like the perfect car, with enough room to haul what I need. Would not trade it for anything.

2003 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 3.0L
By colbri

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has by far provided the most enjoyable driving experience of all the Fords I have owned over the years. In my opinion,its handling, performance and fuel economy, not to mention good looks, place it a head above the others in its class that I tested before settling on this particular Ford product.

Body design, visibility, engine power/response (3.0L), instrument/controls access, interior spaciousness/comfort

Better cupholder arrangement, overhead vents for A/C and heating, more conveniently located ignition switch.

Good Choice
By Turnerpj

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle for a young family. We have enough room for small children, plus all the cargo we have to hall around with them! In addition, since it is a smaller SUV it is great for parking and easy to handle. It is a really sturdy vehicle though. The only aspect I would change is to make the doors a bit more solid. They are safe, but very light and sometimes you have to really slam them to get them to click. Overall though, a great purchase for us!

Love being a bit higher up off the road, but not feeling like I'm driving a big bus. Does great off road and has held up great driving through some major hurricane and tornado weather! A very fun vehicle to drive!

I would maybe make the back seat a bit more spacious for leg room. In addition, I would want to make the doors (especially back doors) more solid. Sometimes they feel to feather- light.