2003 Ford Escape XLS Value SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2003 Escape Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Sort Reviews by

Need 4wd on fire runs
By Vol FF

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it bewcause I needed 4wd to get to some of the fires I respond to. I love the way the truck handles at speed. The accelleration allows me to get out of situations before they become a problem. The only complaint is the transmission. It doesn't seem to shift smoothly all the time, especially in the winter. Other than that I will certainly buy another.

Favorite Features

Handles like a car but runs like a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the tranny.

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable

Overall Excellent!
By ralph manfredonia

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value overall. Fun to drive and extremely good on gas(front wheel drive model)

Favorite Features

Roomy interior,V6 motor is extremely peppy, great fuel economy on the front wheel drive model.

Escape 2003 review
By Mia Z.

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my Escape. It is the first vehicle I ever bought so it will always have a special place in my heart. It is a great car that I have used to move twice, haul material from Home Depot and carted my husband and dog around town. It was nice enough that I wasn't embarrassed to valet park at some of Atlanta's nicer restaurants.

Favorite Features

I love that it has cup holders everywhere. My previous car did not have any cupholders so you can understand how this was a desired feature.

0000
By mildred funk

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far this suv drives well. Handles well behind the wheel. I'm short, so it's easy for me to get in an out of. Gets good gas mileage. I don't like the wiper control by the shift bar at all. Love the power it has. Gets up an go. I love opening the doors, with ease. Stops on a dime.

Favorite Features

Steering is easy. And getting into an out of with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Need a better place for wiper control a lighted mirror on visor.

Only one complaint
By Dan

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car except that it is not that great in the snow with the original tires. I recently put on all terrain tires and now it is great in the snow. I have put about 50,000 miles on it in two years and I have not had a single problem!

Favorite Features

Great MPG for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

If you live in the north make sure to put all terrain tires on it .... and put around 100 pounds of salt or sand in the trunk for better traction.

Ford Escape 2003
By Judy Smith

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Would not buy this car again. Inferior interior with knobs breaking off or falling off after 1.5 yrs Would frequently not go in reverse, and had to be put back in park and tried again. The dealer said they "couldn't find anything wrong." Very uncomfortable seats. No back support at all. In spite of this, I realized I like a smaller SUV just not this one.

Favorite Features

size

Ford Escape XLS
By bchamp

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a good mini SUV with few problems. I had my radio/CD player replaced and my tires are not wearing as well as my previous "Ford Explorer". I get 20.2 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. The tan interior cloth shows spots "very easily" compared to gray or a pattern design cloth. I think Ford should have included privacy glass to protect children and making a cheap roof rack a $75.00 option and floor mats an option still bothers me. The XLT comes with these things but you will not get the value back on re-sell.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Roof rack and floor maps should be STANDARD.

Just a few bugs....
By PandalvsEscape

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very cute little SUV for a small family. I would purchase another one and I am looking forward to seeing the new hybrid. The Escape is big enough that you feel safe, but not so big that you feel like you have to climb in.

Favorite Features

Nerfbars, Roof rack, hauling space.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wiper control to close to gear shift. Gear shift in the way of the radio. Middle "Console" had to be placed, caved in/cracked? WHATS UP WITH THE BREAK DUST????????????????????

A very nimble SUV
By Pat O'Riley

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I put the seats down and was able to fit 20 - 3cubic ft. bags of mulch in it. It has a perfect blend of power, from acceleration to passing. The steering is very nimble. Highway mileage is around 26mpg while the city rating is not what I expected at 17mpg. I am a 6ft. male at 170lbs. The drivers seat makes me feel like I am on top of the vehicle instead of inside it. The ride is smooth but leans while cornering. It seems to hold the road very well and is not affected much by wind. The engine hesitates during the first few minutes of operation and the transmission shifts up an down between 30 - 40 mph. The dealer changed the throttle body due to sticking.

Favorite Features

Ride - smooth yet stable. Power/Engine - plenty. Versatility - A plus. Driveability - this is a very nimble vehicle. The wide stance with the 16 in. wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Please do something about the shifting between 30 - 40 mph. Steering wheel - it needs to angle out more, not up. Keep the engine but city mileage needs to improve to 20 mpg. Eliminate the plastic side panels. Offer a model fit and geared for men. Thank you.