2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Crummy for a used vehicle
By cooperh on 05/14/14 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this it was 10 years old so I was not expecting much, but no matter how I look at it I am disappointed. Paint chipping and rusting is a serious issue on the exterior, the suspension is harsh, loudly clunking, and has been a money pit. I understand in buying used vehicles that there are fixes waiting to happen, but I didn't expect the magnitude that came with this thing! It may have been a nice vehicle when it was new but has not stood up to the test of time well. Other vehicles I've driven that gave me less issues than this were an 03' Ram 1500 dually, an 05' Mitsubishi Endeavor, and 07' Hyundai Entourage.

Over 281,000 miles and still going strong
By ljs_florida on 06/23/13 16:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I had ever owned it now has over 281,000 miles and no major problems with this vehicle at all, the only thing that has gone wrong was the radiator and fuel pump no other problems.

Whats not to love!
By krootox23 on 10/18/11 09:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I do not see any flaws in this vehicle whats so ever. It gets great gas mileage, very very spacious. Extremely comfrotable leather interior. Engine is strong and tough. Anyone who says this car sucks or is bad is pulling it out of their a$$. I have owned the escape for nearly five years now and it has 197570 miles on it, I have never had to do any repairs except brakes rotors and oil changes with a few services for recalls.

Worst car I've ever had
By glee222012 on 09/11/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had this car for a good year its at 90,000 miles and since day one ive had numerous problems with it. I had my winshield washer fluid never work along with my cigarette lighter(s) i dont smoke but i would have liked to put a gps in considering me and my husband travel. everytime i turn on my a/c my rpm shoots up and its start this stuttering thing and even after the a/c is turned off it still stutters. i DO NOT get 18 mpg and when i had bought it i was told i was to get 20 mpg i have to put 50 or more in it EVERY WEEK the interior as well as the exterior is falling apart the fabric on the doors are peeling off on each door and the paint is peeling off outside

I love my escape!
By esmith7 on 03/12/11 09:48 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My escape has 175,000 and has only needed minor maintenance repairs.

116,000 miles later
By Dave on 04/01/10 10:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The driving experience is excellent, the handling, cornering, acceleration and braking are all above average or better. I was aware of several specific shortcomings of the vehicle, and all were solved by add-ons at purchase. For example: Several ford models are known to have transmissions issues at 100,000 miles+. This is solved by purchasing the TOWING package that adds a transmission cooling system & radiator to prevent trans damage. My transmission has never so much as slipped. The soft paint & rust issue is partly solved by a rubberized undercoating and wheel well sheathing. Overall the car is wonderful and would buy it again.

Love this car,
By Pnoble on 03/27/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love driving this car, have gotten excellent gas mileage (from 22-28 mpg usually the higher end when traveling), no work other than oil changes, regular break work from in city traffic. It takes the mountains like a dream, comfortable for 3 traveling long distance and for all the luggage w/ the storage area in back. Great for moving items due to the back seats lowering. Loved it so much bought another one in 2008 and still have them both. Would buy a third if either of these ever give out.

Great drive especially in the snow
By Melissa on 03/09/10 09:47 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving this car. It drives especially well in the snow and the awd makes it so you don't even have to engage 4wd most of the time. I live in the mountains and it is a great car. I love the room in the back of the car where adults can easily sit. I also love the cargo space in the back. The seats lay down flat if you need more cargo space.

problem ford
By jennifer amerson on 09/19/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car fixed 5 times. It still will not start. I keep a journal and I have to crank it up to 12 times to get it to start in the middle of the month every month, and 6 times every time on the first week of each month. I think this is an electrical problem. I have had the idle valve replaced and it still will not start. Also has had 3 recalls done on it and I just had the power steering hose replaced on it last week. I do not know what to do just keep begging Ford to fix it so that I will not be late for work anymore. Cranking problem started 2 years ago and I have been told that this car can not be fixed. It only has 30,000 miles on it.

Nothing but trouble with this car
By Never again on 07/25/09 09:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I acquired this vehicle with the idea of great quality. Big Mistake! 1 week after purchasing it, the engine light came on, the fuel door open light came on, the battery light came on, etc... Took it into dealership where I was told that the lights were on from a short in the wiring. 1 week later while slowing down to make a turn during rush hour traffic, the car completely shuts off. This happened about 15 times with the dealership telling me they could find anything wrong with it. Come to find out there was a recall. The trans. started slipping not more than 3 months after that. Brand new rear tire was bald in less than 3 months from rubbing. Smelled burning oil always. radio buttons broke