2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Crummy for a used vehicle
By cooperh on 05/14/14 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this it was 10 years old so I was not expecting much, but no matter how I look at it I am disappointed. Paint chipping and rusting is a serious issue on the exterior, the suspension is harsh, loudly clunking, and has been a money pit. I understand in buying used vehicles that there are fixes waiting to happen, but I didn't expect the magnitude that came with this thing! It may have been a nice vehicle when it was new but has not stood up to the test of time well. Other vehicles I've driven that gave me less issues than this were an 03' Ram 1500 dually, an 05' Mitsubishi Endeavor, and 07' Hyundai Entourage.

Over 281,000 miles and still going strong
By ljs_florida on 06/23/13 16:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I had ever owned it now has over 281,000 miles and no major problems with this vehicle at all, the only thing that has gone wrong was the radiator and fuel pump no other problems.

Whats not to love!
By krootox23 on 10/18/11 09:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I do not see any flaws in this vehicle whats so ever. It gets great gas mileage, very very spacious. Extremely comfrotable leather interior. Engine is strong and tough. Anyone who says this car sucks or is bad is pulling it out of their a$$. I have owned the escape for nearly five years now and it has 197570 miles on it, I have never had to do any repairs except brakes rotors and oil changes with a few services for recalls.

Worst car I've ever had
By glee222012 on 09/11/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had this car for a good year its at 90,000 miles and since day one ive had numerous problems with it. I had my winshield washer fluid never work along with my cigarette lighter(s) i dont smoke but i would have liked to put a gps in considering me and my husband travel. everytime i turn on my a/c my rpm shoots up and its start this stuttering thing and even after the a/c is turned off it still stutters. i DO NOT get 18 mpg and when i had bought it i was told i was to get 20 mpg i have to put 50 or more in it EVERY WEEK the interior as well as the exterior is falling apart the fabric on the doors are peeling off on each door and the paint is peeling off outside

great value
By northerngirl1 on 07/05/11 10:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Ford Excape LXT has been a great, reliable vehicle. It doesn't handle as well as my Jeep Cherokee in the Minnesota Winters but it isn't as heavy either. No complaints. I change the oil evert 3000 and rotate the tires every 6000 like clockwork. At 95,000 miles....other than routine maintenance like brakes, replaced tie rod ends once, I haven't done anything major to it. Looks like new!

I love my escape!
By esmith7 on 03/12/11 09:48 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My escape has 175,000 and has only needed minor maintenance repairs.

Great Car
By Joy on 09/03/10 13:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Premium 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been the best car we have had. We keep up on maintenance and change oil every 3000 miles. This is my wife's car and she treats it much better than I treat my car. I have a ford explorer 1997 with 235,000 and no real problems with same water pump. Both cars are great. This SUV is very fun to drive in the snow. Handles great.

It's A winner
By Donna on 06/29/10 14:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven cross-country from west coast to east. I call my car the Willy Nelson b/c its on the road again and again. I love my car. It's old now I find myself having to replace brakes a lot often but I think its b/c I'm being taken advantage of by mechanics.

I'm Escaping Ford to get a Yugo
By Bill on 05/28/10 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ford, don't know what you're doing, but I know you're not building a tough, reliable vehicle. Within 35k miles: trans. shot, paint shot, brakes shot. Stalls periodically. The geniuses at dealer, at the ones who could form complete sentences, can't find anything wrong. Will never, ever, so much as drive by another Ford dealership. I'm done with them.

116,000 miles later
By Dave on 04/01/10 10:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The driving experience is excellent, the handling, cornering, acceleration and braking are all above average or better. I was aware of several specific shortcomings of the vehicle, and all were solved by add-ons at purchase. For example: Several ford models are known to have transmissions issues at 100,000 miles+. This is solved by purchasing the TOWING package that adds a transmission cooling system & radiator to prevent trans damage. My transmission has never so much as slipped. The soft paint & rust issue is partly solved by a rubberized undercoating and wheel well sheathing. Overall the car is wonderful and would buy it again.