Used 2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

The unreliable Ford
By Rob

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As soon as my warrenty expired my ford fell apart. First it was a 3300 $transmission, then 1500$ rebuilding the front end, then the wheel cencers for 1000$, then the driveshaft bearing 500$, and now ford says it needs a new transfer gear box for 5000$! This car is unreliable, and constanly breaks down. i could have got a better car with the money I have spent fixing this one.

my first ford
By Gary Middleton

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i got this at a buy here pay here.... and for the price wasn't bad handles great

Need 4wd on fire runs
By Vol FF

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it bewcause I needed 4wd to get to some of the fires I respond to. I love the way the truck handles at speed. The accelleration allows me to get out of situations before they become a problem. The only complaint is the transmission. It doesn't seem to shift smoothly all the time, especially in the winter. Other than that I will certainly buy another.

Handles like a car but runs like a truck.

Fix the tranny.

Pretty nice
By JJ

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. It's nice and roomy and I love the bumper because I have lightly bumped a few things and no scratches. The ride is smooth and handles nicely. Even though its 4 years old people still tell me it still has that new car smell. Only complaints are the matte finish on the radio is chipping off, the cover of the gas cap sometimes pops open, and my biggest complaint is the CD player. Ever since I first got the car it sometimes makes this horrible noise and pops the CD out, I can usually pop the CD back and play normally though.

Smooth ride, bumper, comfortable

Overall Excellent!
By ralph manfredonia

2003 Ford Escape XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding value overall. Fun to drive and extremely good on gas(front wheel drive model)

Roomy interior,V6 motor is extremely peppy, great fuel economy on the front wheel drive model.