Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Rate this Vehicle
By martina

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I travel 50 plus miles a day in my Ford Escape. I find that it handles very well in very wet roads and in the winter I feel very secure in the manner in which it "hugs" the road, especially on curves. My V6 engine has great pick-up speed and right now I am averaging 28mpg. Since I am the main driver of this vehicle I have had very few opportunities to be a passenger, but I do remember driving to North Dakota from Iowa. I had the back seat. I found that being a passenger in the back seat was not the most joyful experience. There wasn't enough room for ones "tush." I had the feeling that I was always sliding down. I would definitely buy another ford Escape.

Favorite Features

Great stereo system, the adjustable side mirrors, maneuverability, size and style.

Suggested Improvements

More cushion/padding on the rear seats. A reading light that will pull out and adjust "from the door." Plug ins in the back. Instead of cup holders and that slot in the middle make half of that a cooler the same length of a can or plastic bottle and deep instead of wider, like 3 cans deep, 2 cans wide.

Good American Car
By Jane Johnson

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I first saw the Escape when it first arrived on the scene. I told my husband then that I wanted that car when I was ready to get another car. In 2002 I bought my first Escape. I have never had a sorry day. I love this car. It has 105000 miles on it now and it's never been in the shop for more than the usual oil changes. I am older and therefore have a problem climbing out of most cars. With my Escape I can climb up and hop down. That is the main reason I wanted a small SUV. I also have a horse so this great car can carry all my horse equipment with no problem. I think American cars get a bum rap. I get 21 miles to the gallon highway (I drive 30 miles to work each way). luv it

Favorite Features

Great visibility all around. Decent gas milage for an SUV. 6 cyclinder engine has great horsepower--what I wanted for merging on interstate

Suggested Improvements

I liked the 02 model. Don't like the new look--too much like a Jeep. Would like to see better gas milage, of course.

One of my best!
By wado

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot and have had many cars, trucks, SUVs but my 2002 Ford Escape was by far one of the best vehicles, that I have ever owned! The "ease", of entry/exit, is awesome, for me, and the performance vs mpg is a "perfect combination" I have owned over a hundred vehicles, mostly used, but 37 new, mostly Ford,GM, and this one stands out! Bravo to Ford for such a nice ride, just wish that they had left the spare INSIDE, where it belongs, and continued offering the column shift, for those of us, that are cramped by consoles. The redesigned 2008 and up are much more refined however!! Definitely worth a look!

Favorite Features

Ease of entry/exit acceleration/braking/clearance in snow (great even w/o 4wd!) Standard sound system was great!

Suggested Improvements

I did not care for the "look" of the gray unpainted front and rear bumper covers.

Hard Pressed to Find One Better
By JSampson

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl 5 spd model @ 80k now: Bought used with 38k on it. I'm very meticulous about car issues and I have noticed only a couple things that have needed attention over the years. In my mind these issues are less about Ford and more about components manufactured in Asia (I'd bet). 1. Idle Air Control Valve needs some cleaning/replacement after 75k miles or so and is a total pain to get to. 2. DPEF sensor craps out about the same time. Neither one ever left me stranded or were $$$ but did create an erratic idle at times. Outside of that, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Engine has adequate power and has returned 25 mpg avg, consistently. Handling and braking even w/o all discs is good.

Favorite Features

Engine performance hands down. For a little 135hp engine it has great low end grunt and wonderful top end when I want to move more spiritedly. Handling always amazed me and turning radius is outstanding. Paint/body solid. Glad I got the 4cy/5spd combo. Durability to the max.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission has always been slightly irritating with some poor synchro's in 2nd and 3rd and it has a touchy clutch when cold. (I blame this on the japanese spec trans) Seats could be better and wind noise reduced, though not bad.

Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!
By dylywylly

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

Favorite Features

Um it's yellow! And I support my local economy by my repair costs.

Suggested Improvements

This SUV is built like a car not like an SUV. Look at this and look at a Jeep Liberty, the liberty has a mor solid feel because it is built like an SUV. Very poor craftsmanship.