2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Going back to Jeep
By Rottmom on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 97 Jeep Wrangler for this pile of cheap junk. Not even 11,000 miles and this car needs new tires badly. Everything is plastic and fiberglass. Gear shift position is downright dangerous if you're reaching for the radio. WORST is the 4-wheel drive which really doesn't exist. I can't wait to unload this mediocre dangerous vehicle. Don't forget the recall that just came out. Ford dealer doesn't have evening or weekend service hours.

Ford Escape XLT
By pj2300 on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! We are so glad making this purchase. Powerful V-6, handles like a car, great hauling capability. Will more than likely be a repeat buyer.

Great experience
By dwarren on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used. The biggest surprise was the power the V-6 provides. Loved the sporty look. It also has a sporty feel. First time I took off the G's pulled my head back with barely a foot on the accelerator. I also was pleasently surprised with the sound system. It is the "Audiophile." The leather is in great condition and the seats are exceptionally firm. The quality is obvious throughout. Very happy.

Happy with the Escape
By 99Aggie on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this so that we would have a vehicle where we could carry our son and groceries at the same time. We also bought it for added safety as compared to our other car. We are very happy with it. It can really take off, the power is great. Only problems have been the stock tires, which we just replaced, and a repair needed on the throttle control. Of course this was not under the warranty and the dealer had it for 3 days for a simple fix. Overall we love our bright yellow Escape.

Escape
By Pito Perez on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

this car could be a lot better, and it could be sold for a lot less, and it could hold its values better. I've only owned it for 1.5 years and it's already lost 47% of its original purchase price!!!

Waste of Money
By poorchoice on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very disappointed. At 40K, I needed new front brakes?!? the windows screech like nails on a chalkboard when in cold weather. I had to have the moonroof fixed.

Good deal for the $
By Donald E. Potter on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have found this SUV to be all you could want or expect for the size and money. Handles great, good power, comfortable, clean profile. Very good A/c and heat, CD player and radio ( sound sys leaves something to be desired with windows down). Not a luxery SUV, but has all you need and more. CONs: cheap tires (Generals, which I had found to be good prior to this?. As stated, for the money, a very fine SUV.

2002 Ford Escape
By Wannebo on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Great clearance, speed, maneuverability.

Mechanically Unsoud
By Amy Ostrow on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great ride when it is functioning.

Good Compact SUV!
By Scott80207 on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first truely "American" purchase (my previous car was a '00 Honda CRV), and other than a warranty- covered fuel sensor issue which caused the truck to stall at 40 mph, it has been a reliable, well-crafted, compact SUV. It has more than enough power and it's fairly comfortable for my 6'4" frame. The 16-17 city-MPG took a little getting used to, but the '05 Hybrid is right around the corner!