Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Rate this Vehicle
By martina

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I travel 50 plus miles a day in my Ford Escape. I find that it handles very well in very wet roads and in the winter I feel very secure in the manner in which it "hugs" the road, especially on curves. My V6 engine has great pick-up speed and right now I am averaging 28mpg. Since I am the main driver of this vehicle I have had very few opportunities to be a passenger, but I do remember driving to North Dakota from Iowa. I had the back seat. I found that being a passenger in the back seat was not the most joyful experience. There wasn't enough room for ones "tush." I had the feeling that I was always sliding down. I would definitely buy another ford Escape.

Favorite Features

Great stereo system, the adjustable side mirrors, maneuverability, size and style.

Suggested Improvements

More cushion/padding on the rear seats. A reading light that will pull out and adjust "from the door." Plug ins in the back. Instead of cup holders and that slot in the middle make half of that a cooler the same length of a can or plastic bottle and deep instead of wider, like 3 cans deep, 2 cans wide.

Great car overall!
By weezielynn

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Escape since May 2002 and overall it has been a wonderful car for me. It is very fun to drive and really moves quick and easy. The only big problem I had was when the transmission went out at under 10,000 miles. Major upset for me! It was fixed under warranty but for a long time I was still pretty annoyed. Based on some of the other comments apparently this is a problem with the Escape. Otherwise I am very happy with my SUV.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive and slip into tighter spaces, especially for being a SUV. Also the traction is really good on snow and ice. Lots of room in back to haul furniture and big electronics.

Suggested Improvements

The CD player does not always spit out the CD. Also the noise level can be loud on the interstate. Plus, of course, the transmission issues I mentioned above.

Nice car
By Rick

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car without doing much research. It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, and is very good in snow. Has lots of storage, and is very comfortable for long drives. The ride is much better than the Explorer I owned prior to buying this car. I have had absolutely zero problems with the car.

Decent Escape
By Use It

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have 85K miles with no significant anomalies. Yeah, the usual CD sticking, wait till it cools down or use a credit card and it'll come out fine. Still virtually all original parts including tires with decent tread still if you can believe that. This has been used off road a fair bit in serious snow and dirt, along with dogs/skis/bikes/canoes/kayaks/kids/lumber/rocks/bricks/etc. Have changed the tranny fluid every 40K or so and tranny is fine. Great vehicle so far. Good job Ford.

Favorite Features

Starts at -25F. Versatile. Rugged. Fine on snow.

MY FAVORITE SUV
By CAROLYN

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love to drive my new (used) Escape. It is sporty, sexy & fast! It fits into tight spots yet plenty of room for my 6'4" hubby. I went from a Lexus to my Escape and I just think it was the best choice for us since we spend 1/2 our year in the mountain snow and the other in the city. I chose this over a Lexus LX470 after reading many reports online, I chose to buy this and very happy I did.

Favorite Features

Love the 4wd, the leather, the stereo, the comfortable seats, the great Ford heater/ac, the sunroof/moonroof, the way it steers like a sports car, it is fast! Not sluggish at all (v6).

Suggested Improvements

Would be better with a nicer console in the middle, more adjustable drink holders for different size drinks, electric passenger side seat with auto lumbar adjust on both seats. Inside latch for fuel door to prevent gas theft.