Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Solid Performer
By Dave

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and drove it for six plus years. I wanted some of the conveniences (space, height and 4wd) of driving an SUV but was not willing to pay where the next size was priced, did not want horrendous MPG and back in 2002 most large SUV’s still felt like driving a pickup truck. I got what I paid for it was a no thrills solid performer. The car was only in the shop twice for two minor recalls and the well known air sensor. I had the cd changer issue and the moon roof switch that was a pain but I did not ever get annoyed when it happened. It was a great drive as acceleration was excellent and the handling and feel of the SUV felt like I was driving a car.

Handling and acceleration.

Gas mileage was disappointing even with low expectations. I could not hit 20mpg on all highway (70mph) with the AC or Heat on. Nicer leather seats.

2002 Ford Escape XLS
By C L B

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used (end of lease). Excellent condition. Ran into problems with manual transmission, idler bearing self-destructed. 3 weeks to replace, but local dealership was extremely accomodating. This sort of failure should simply not happen with a manual transmission.

Excellent fuel economy for a small SUV. Good shift manual, even for a front-wheel drive. Good ride for a light truck.

I hope that the transmission does not "go south" again, although this is an ongoing complaint, from what I have read.

Reliable, durable vehicle
By waterseh

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 7 and a half years and have never had a problem with it. I have done all the regularly scheduled maintainance and the car now has 140,000 miles on it and still runs like we first bought it. We have towed trailers, hauled lumber and taken it on some fairly easy trails (it is not 4WD) and it has always performed admirably. It even survived a rear-ending on the interstate and the subsequent $7,500 worth of damage. The only thing I would change about it is better fuel economy (22 city, 25 interstate), and that isn't even too bad for a SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle and it has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Reliability, plenty of room in the back seat for a compact SUV, durability, thrill of driving, interior design, exterior looks and all of the little creature comforts.

My only complaint is the fuel economy, which isn't that bad for a SUV. Of course mine is a 2002, when gas was $1.29/gallon and there was no Escape Hybrid that would get 35mpg city.

Great Escape
By Brian

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 71,000 miles on it. It being a small SUV I didn't really think it would do very well off road even though it had the 4wd. I was extremely suprised on just how well this thing can off-road! I have put it in some pretty hairy places and it just pulled on through without even second guessing it. It handles quite well on the road. I drive 75 miles a day for work in this thing, and I love every minute of it.

The 4WD.

Have a low gear in the 4wd system. 4 HI isn't the best when going through certain areas.

Still a nice car
By J Becker

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle is comfortable and it drives well. The mileage was high, but it was in good shape. I purchased this vehicle in January of this year and for the first four months no problems. In the last four months it is starting to cost me money. I have had to replace the tire rod in the front,and now I need to replace the cv-joint so the anti-lock brakes will work. The belts in my tires are bad, and there is always a light bulb going out.

6 disc CD player, power sunroof, power drivers seat, leather seats, fold down rear seats

Better gas mileage. This car gets 12 in the city and 19 on the highway