Used 2002 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Still a nice car
By J Becker

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle is comfortable and it drives well. The mileage was high, but it was in good shape. I purchased this vehicle in January of this year and for the first four months no problems. In the last four months it is starting to cost me money. I have had to replace the tire rod in the front,and now I need to replace the cv-joint so the anti-lock brakes will work. The belts in my tires are bad, and there is always a light bulb going out.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD player, power sunroof, power drivers seat, leather seats, fold down rear seats

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. This car gets 12 in the city and 19 on the highway

Great vehicle
By subarktika

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first thing that impressed us with the Escape was the interior space. Driver and front passenger have lots of leg and head room. Like the way the rear seat cushions can be removed and also like the height of the cargo area. Ours has the No Boundaries Roof Rack which has been great for hauling bikes.

Favorite Features

Cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior temperature display.

Ford Escape 2002
By Emster

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good car for the most part, I think there are some design flaws that make this vehicle a "high maintenance" vehicle once the warranty is up. I had trouble with the wiring and windshield cracks. Overall, it got me where I needed to be with little trouble. It has a smooth ride and fits 5 comfortably.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, comfortable, good gas mileage on trips!

Suggested Improvements

Transmissions have gone out on most of the 2001-2002 models. Ford needs to honor their product and recall them for the consumers sake.

Nearly 130,000 miles with no problems
By shihchi

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 128,000 miles in 4+ years. No problems. Never back to dealer for any repairs or problems. Avg. 21-24 mpg. Still solid. Spent 4 years on construction sites with no ill effects. Used as primary family vehicle. Daughter hit a deer on spring break with it; vehicle was A-OK, but deer wasn't. Still handles well and is quick. No complaints about CDs sticking or gear shift lever blocking access to anything. Large number cubbyholes are useful. Compared it to RAV4, CR-V and VUE. Escape was by far the best value and fun/comfortable drive. Wife, daughter and son all like it.

Favorite Features

Dependable, well-built, MPG, utility, sit up high, small and maneuverable.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing of consequence.

2002 Ford Escape - Lousy Transmission
By debbylee

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1991 Ford Explorer, my first Ford. Loved it! So next time I got a 2002 Ford Escape. I have had nothing but problems. Transmission problems from day 1. Air intake chip going bad twice. I sure love the design and wish it had worked out. Still driving it.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, leather seats, sun roof, interior design, size of cargo, lots of legroom in the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission!