Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

No more Fords for me
By kathy

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Escape. I am short and can see out of it better than anything I've driven before. The electrical problems are driving me crazy. After many visits to the dealer, they finally found that caulk had come loose and I had a gallon of water on my fuse box. Supposedly resealed and replaced the fuse box. Two months later I had it back in for the same problems, radio going off and on by itself, even when car is off, horn going off, trouble lights on for no reason. Said they can't find any problems and gave it back to me unfixed. Have contacted Ford and they won't do anything to help, so am buying a Honda on Monday. I'm sorry to say that Ford has lost another customer.

Favorite Features

Good in the winter and fun to drive. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Caulk should not come loose for no reason, and if it does, mechanics and body shop should be able to detect and fix, or Ford should stand behind it.

Solid Performer
By Dave

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and drove it for six plus years. I wanted some of the conveniences (space, height and 4wd) of driving an SUV but was not willing to pay where the next size was priced, did not want horrendous MPG and back in 2002 most large SUVís still felt like driving a pickup truck. I got what I paid for it was a no thrills solid performer. The car was only in the shop twice for two minor recalls and the well known air sensor. I had the cd changer issue and the moon roof switch that was a pain but I did not ever get annoyed when it happened. It was a great drive as acceleration was excellent and the handling and feel of the SUV felt like I was driving a car.

Favorite Features

Handling and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage was disappointing even with low expectations. I could not hit 20mpg on all highway (70mph) with the AC or Heat on. Nicer leather seats.

2002 Ford Escape XLS
By C L B

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used (end of lease). Excellent condition. Ran into problems with manual transmission, idler bearing self-destructed. 3 weeks to replace, but local dealership was extremely accomodating. This sort of failure should simply not happen with a manual transmission.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy for a small SUV. Good shift manual, even for a front-wheel drive. Good ride for a light truck.

Suggested Improvements

I hope that the transmission does not "go south" again, although this is an ongoing complaint, from what I have read.

Reliable, durable vehicle
By waterseh

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 7 and a half years and have never had a problem with it. I have done all the regularly scheduled maintainance and the car now has 140,000 miles on it and still runs like we first bought it. We have towed trailers, hauled lumber and taken it on some fairly easy trails (it is not 4WD) and it has always performed admirably. It even survived a rear-ending on the interstate and the subsequent $7,500 worth of damage. The only thing I would change about it is better fuel economy (22 city, 25 interstate), and that isn't even too bad for a SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle and it has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Favorite Features

Reliability, plenty of room in the back seat for a compact SUV, durability, thrill of driving, interior design, exterior looks and all of the little creature comforts.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the fuel economy, which isn't that bad for a SUV. Of course mine is a 2002, when gas was $1.29/gallon and there was no Escape Hybrid that would get 35mpg city.

Great Escape
By Brian

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 71,000 miles on it. It being a small SUV I didn't really think it would do very well off road even though it had the 4wd. I was extremely suprised on just how well this thing can off-road! I have put it in some pretty hairy places and it just pulled on through without even second guessing it. It handles quite well on the road. I drive 75 miles a day for work in this thing, and I love every minute of it.

Favorite Features

The 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Have a low gear in the 4wd system. 4 HI isn't the best when going through certain areas.