Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Love my Escape
By LJ

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had very few problems with my Escape other than the recall issues. It's in the shop now for a new alternator but that after six years and 219,000 miles of driving. Thumbs up!

To pull a Dodge out the ditch!
By nizzlejr

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I have to say is wow! Ford hit it pretty good with a cheap 4x4 to get around in the winters and summer in Canada. I have to say that the only real problems I've had is changing a motor under warranty. Other then that my Escape has treated me well. Off road in this and you'll be very surprised. I've had the chance to go with Jeeps and such with no problems geting through the muck. Ford has put metal parts on this "truck" where you would see plastic, ie; end links. Very strong SUV. Fuel economy is something to get used to but then what would you expect to get in a near 4000 pound vehicle? Tows great. Transmission is good. I plan to enjoy this "truck" for another few years yet.

4x4, sunroof, white gauges, and the fact you can recline the rear seats back-fold the front seats completly level. Stiff ride is nice too.

A 4-lo and locking or posi final drive and rear differential

Average
By Carol

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape new. I've had it 7 1/2 years & 75,000 miles+. The acceleration isn't too great. Handles well in snow and bad conditions. The last year or so, it's needed a lot of repairs. The struts have been changed and it still has suspension issues (rattles). Recently both the clutch and the clutch master cylinder went out at the same time. A very costly repair (At 72, 000 miles). Two teenagers did learn to drive on it. But I expected it to go longer before needing costly repairs. It has been reliable getting me where I need to go. Doesn't like steep hills too much. And CIncinnati has those. I don't think I'd buy another one though. Too many repairs needed too soon.

Gas mileage around 20-24 mpg. It sits high up and visibility is good. Also has lots of cupholders. Radio that came standard is of good quality

More power to get up hills needed.

No more Fords for me
By kathy

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Escape. I am short and can see out of it better than anything I've driven before. The electrical problems are driving me crazy. After many visits to the dealer, they finally found that caulk had come loose and I had a gallon of water on my fuse box. Supposedly resealed and replaced the fuse box. Two months later I had it back in for the same problems, radio going off and on by itself, even when car is off, horn going off, trouble lights on for no reason. Said they can't find any problems and gave it back to me unfixed. Have contacted Ford and they won't do anything to help, so am buying a Honda on Monday. I'm sorry to say that Ford has lost another customer.

Good in the winter and fun to drive. Great visibility.

Caulk should not come loose for no reason, and if it does, mechanics and body shop should be able to detect and fix, or Ford should stand behind it.

Solid Performer
By Dave

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and drove it for six plus years. I wanted some of the conveniences (space, height and 4wd) of driving an SUV but was not willing to pay where the next size was priced, did not want horrendous MPG and back in 2002 most large SUV’s still felt like driving a pickup truck. I got what I paid for it was a no thrills solid performer. The car was only in the shop twice for two minor recalls and the well known air sensor. I had the cd changer issue and the moon roof switch that was a pain but I did not ever get annoyed when it happened. It was a great drive as acceleration was excellent and the handling and feel of the SUV felt like I was driving a car.

Handling and acceleration.

Gas mileage was disappointing even with low expectations. I could not hit 20mpg on all highway (70mph) with the AC or Heat on. Nicer leather seats.