2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!
By Marty on 07/04/05 11:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Ford Escape is self-destructing as I write - the CD player won't eject without help from my license, the rear wiper doesn't work, the right inside door panel is coming off, the shift indicator light works once in a while, the alternator had to be replaced at 24K, the right rear door doesn't shut without being slammed (this was supposedly fixed by the dealer), the doors are hard to open - feels like the door handle is going to break off (probably will soon), the left running board is separating from itself and it's difficult to shift out of park when parked on a hill. The defrost only works with the visors down, the a/c is inadequate. Could go on and on, but am out of room.

This SUV is a piece of junk.
By Tunes06 on 06/14/05 09:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is junk. The rear door seal fell off. The CD player refuses to give back CD's. The rear wiper motor quit. The sun roof sticks. It has been recalled twice. And now the transmission has totally failed at 61,000 miles. Ford refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem but checking the NHTSA site reveals I am not the only one with this problem. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Love my Escape
By Katlvrkas on 04/11/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape brand new and love it! I have had 2 recalls, but they were fixed with no problem. The only other problem I've had is that the power windows squeal in cold weather. Dealer has always lubed and once had to replace. Overall, I've been extremely satisfied with the Escape.

A worthy choice
By jb on 04/03/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our '02 Escape has been pretty good to us. We have had to bring it in for service multiple times on some recurring problems/nuisances that didn't affect the way the car handles (loose air bag light wires, driver visor mirror, jammed CD changer). Overall this SUV is perfect for our family of 4 (2 adults, two young boys). In hindsight, should have bought leather seats since the cloth gets too dirty with the kids. Plenty of cargo room for large stroller, luggage, etc. V6 engine is a must. V4 (tested, not purchased) was way weak.

this car
By matt on 03/07/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is quit possibly the worst truck I've ever driven. The brakes are horrible. We had to replace the rotors at 32,000 miles. It handles like a barn on wheels. The CD changer went out and had to be replaced. The driver's window makes a horrible screaching sound going up and down. There are so many noises the dealership couldnt even figure it out for 3 months! The transaxle damper went out and it took Ford 4 months to get a part. Road noise is terrible and it eats tires. But it's cute! I hate to say it but Ford could learn something from our foreign compitors. Oh yah DON'T buy one!

Bad Engine
By Ed Monk on 01/02/05 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was a fan of this vehicle until the engine self-destructed at 47,000 miles, by throwing a rod and tearing apart the engine. And this after buying it new and changing the oil every 3,000 miles, like clockwork. When I pay over $20k for a new car, I expect over 50,000 miles and 3 years out of the car.

Glad I bought the extended warranty
By Mike Zac on 11/12/04 23:32 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok, it's a great little SUV. Quick and peppy. But I am putting my $1500 extended warranty to use! In the last year I have replaced the master cylinder, the torque converter, the oil oan and gasket, a burned up exhaust valve, front brakes and rotors (twice!) and have it in now to replace the timing belt cover. It is dripping oil on the exhaust manifold and I am afraid I will be roadside BBQ soon. My warranty company has shelled about $5000 on the fixes so far!

Not bad .. not great
By Labmutt on 11/08/04 08:17 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice styling; handles well in bad weather; A LOT of wind and road noise; front brakes are terrible, rotors are throw-aways; CD4E transmission has its share of troubles; one recall so far, plus a sensor under the hood went bad.

Practical, Powerful, Plenty of Space
By iowalee on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a certified used auto with 31,000 miles. It has been reliable, handles well in a variety of road conditions, and a peppy V-6 engine. I had 3 minor problems covered free under the warrantee: Recall for engine stall. I never experienced this. The 6 CD player stopped working. The stuck discs were recovered and return. Inside AC/heat fan was noisy. No problem with Dealer

Worst Ride I've Every Had
By EX Owner on 08/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased a 2002 XLT Escape with leather seats in July of 02. We liked the body style of the vehicle and read all of the consumer reports on the vehicle; SUV of the Year, etc... This vehicle has to be the worst riding vehicle I have ever been in. The seats are very uncomfortable on long distance trips. Road noise is awful. Interior trim is cheaply designed. Fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. Finally traded it this past weekend; OH HAPPY DAY!!!! At it's price, I honestly can not recommend this vehicle to anyone.