Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Looks are not Everything
By lair

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission died at 54k , replacement cost: 3k, The alternator died at 72k replacement cost: $600. The fifth door does not open on hot days. Either I bought a lemon or it's just a typical American built car, and that's all it is, mainly because it has the same transmission as the ford contour (why would ford use a car transmission in a 200hp SUV?). It looks great though, Just engineered stupidly. I trust my 1995 Toyota pick-up more than this piece of junk. Now, on the bright side, it truly is a nice ride and the interior, sound system and all the rest is great. [just beware it will break down on you].

Looks, 200 HP, Great Sound System, Fun to Drive.

Transmission, Alternator replacement requires front axle to be removed (very expensive labor cost).

Its a Keeper!
By Kbirch

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 13,000 miles. It gets 17mpg city, 20 mixed and 24 highway. I hope to drive it to 200,000 miles if the NY winters don't get to body/hardware first. It still drives/shifts as smooth as the day I picked it up back in '03. REPAIRS: I have had to replace the rear wiper motor at 60K, both front end tie rods at 70K and drivers side wheel bearing at 72K. Overall, no complaints though. Its a very reliable, fun car to drive and strongly recommend it for those looking for an subcompact SUV

Its a fun to drive car. Leg/headroom as I am 6'6" and have plenty of room all around. Great for hauling a trailer with my 4wheeler. Handles awesome in the snow, have driven it through 12" of snow with no problems.

Gas mileage

Good American Car
By Jane Johnson

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I first saw the Escape when it first arrived on the scene. I told my husband then that I wanted that car when I was ready to get another car. In 2002 I bought my first Escape. I have never had a sorry day. I love this car. It has 105000 miles on it now and it's never been in the shop for more than the usual oil changes. I am older and therefore have a problem climbing out of most cars. With my Escape I can climb up and hop down. That is the main reason I wanted a small SUV. I also have a horse so this great car can carry all my horse equipment with no problem. I think American cars get a bum rap. I get 21 miles to the gallon highway (I drive 30 miles to work each way). luv it

Great visibility all around. Decent gas milage for an SUV. 6 cyclinder engine has great horsepower--what I wanted for merging on interstate

I liked the 02 model. Don't like the new look--too much like a Jeep. Would like to see better gas milage, of course.

Great Kid Car
By MIKEH

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a fully loaded all Black XLT as my daughter's first car. The car had 60K miles, and had one owner who obviously took good care of it. My daughter loves her first car and I feel secure that she has some size around her. While the gas mileage isn't great it is far from awful (about 18mpg). We haven't had any issues with the car. Bottom line, no complaints from either of us.

All black, great wheels, and very comfortable.

02 Ford Escape 4 cyl/standard
By smokey2

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle about a year ago as my first car after much thought, and I must say I made the right choice. I chose it for gas mileage and looks, and was able to get a great deal off craigslist. The required maintenence was pricy ($1000 for a new timing belt), but expected. The vehicle is spacious inside, while being able to fit in almost any parking spot and turning around in places other cars can't. The standard transmission is the way to go given the 4 cyl's engine power.

Gas mileage. I calculate the mileage after every fillup, and my last two calculations were 27 and 28 mpg. It does, though, vary greatly on driving habits. Also, This vehicle is very roomy and open inside for being relatively small.

The road noise is terrible at highway speeds, and the engine runs at around 3000 rpm at 65 mph.