2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Rate this Vehicle
By martina on 08/10/06 17:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I travel 50 plus miles a day in my Ford Escape. I find that it handles very well in very wet roads and in the winter I feel very secure in the manner in which it "hugs" the road, especially on curves. My V6 engine has great pick-up speed and right now I am averaging 28mpg. Since I am the main driver of this vehicle I have had very few opportunities to be a passenger, but I do remember driving to North Dakota from Iowa. I had the back seat. I found that being a passenger in the back seat was not the most joyful experience. There wasn't enough room for ones "tush." I had the feeling that I was always sliding down. I would definitely buy another ford Escape.

Great car overall!
By weezielynn on 08/08/06 16:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Escape since May 2002 and overall it has been a wonderful car for me. It is very fun to drive and really moves quick and easy. The only big problem I had was when the transmission went out at under 10,000 miles. Major upset for me! It was fixed under warranty but for a long time I was still pretty annoyed. Based on some of the other comments apparently this is a problem with the Escape. Otherwise I am very happy with my SUV.

Nice car
By Rick on 03/26/06 05:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car without doing much research. It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, and is very good in snow. Has lots of storage, and is very comfortable for long drives. The ride is much better than the Explorer I owned prior to buying this car. I have had absolutely zero problems with the car.

Decent Escape
By Use It on 03/01/06 17:32 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have 85K miles with no significant anomalies. Yeah, the usual CD sticking, wait till it cools down or use a credit card and it'll come out fine. Still virtually all original parts including tires with decent tread still if you can believe that. This has been used off road a fair bit in serious snow and dirt, along with dogs/skis/bikes/canoes/kayaks/kids/lumber/rocks/bricks/etc. Have changed the tranny fluid every 40K or so and tranny is fine. Great vehicle so far. Good job Ford.

MY FAVORITE SUV
By CAROLYN on 02/14/06 14:36 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love to drive my new (used) Escape. It is sporty, sexy & fast! It fits into tight spots yet plenty of room for my 6'4" hubby. I went from a Lexus to my Escape and I just think it was the best choice for us since we spend 1/2 our year in the mountain snow and the other in the city. I chose this over a Lexus LX470 after reading many reports online, I chose to buy this and very happy I did.

Not when it's broken
By hanges on 01/27/06 04:35 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best performing vehicle that I have EVER owned; too bad it had to go into the shop for work over 12 times in one year (20,000 miles). Rotors, fuel lines, EGR valve, fuel tank gaskets, etc. I did get 30 mpg with it and with it fully loaded (floor to ceiling with slip 40/60 seats) set the cruise at 72 and never have it drop below 70, even then going through the Rocky Mountains.

Fun to Drive
By Fred J on 01/03/06 17:32 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very good seats; good support.

Transmission Problems Buyer Beware
By Sis on 12/09/05 13:47 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fun to drive when running. Not fun to pay for a new transmission. Was told that the Escape has a poor transmission and it reflected that when it died after the warranty had expired. Found out that others are having the same problem with their Ford Escapes via internet research. Buyer beware - transmission very poor.

Best Entry-Level SUV On The Market
By JohnnyH on 09/14/05 16:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Escape for over two years and never had a problem. The engine is very responsive and doesn't do a bad job of pulling 2 Jet-Skis. The Escape is surprisingly sure footed in winter conditions for its size. The Mach sound system is great. I have been very happy with the car.

Changes I would make
By Jenifer on 07/15/05 00:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car locks should automatically lock when the vehicle is put into drive. There should be rear air conditioning for the back seat. The passenger seat should be automatic when needing to move back and forth. There have been two recalls to this vehicle. To spend $25,000+ you should get a car that has no recalls! Ford should compensate their customers on their recalls, especially when you spend that amount of money. Maybe replace the vehicles with a newer one or one with no imperfections.