Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Great Kid Car
By MIKEH

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a fully loaded all Black XLT as my daughter's first car. The car had 60K miles, and had one owner who obviously took good care of it. My daughter loves her first car and I feel secure that she has some size around her. While the gas mileage isn't great it is far from awful (about 18mpg). We haven't had any issues with the car. Bottom line, no complaints from either of us.

Favorite Features

All black, great wheels, and very comfortable.

02 Ford Escape 4 cyl/standard
By smokey2

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle about a year ago as my first car after much thought, and I must say I made the right choice. I chose it for gas mileage and looks, and was able to get a great deal off craigslist. The required maintenence was pricy ($1000 for a new timing belt), but expected. The vehicle is spacious inside, while being able to fit in almost any parking spot and turning around in places other cars can't. The standard transmission is the way to go given the 4 cyl's engine power.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. I calculate the mileage after every fillup, and my last two calculations were 27 and 28 mpg. It does, though, vary greatly on driving habits. Also, This vehicle is very roomy and open inside for being relatively small.

Suggested Improvements

The road noise is terrible at highway speeds, and the engine runs at around 3000 rpm at 65 mph.

Love my Escape
By LJ

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had very few problems with my Escape other than the recall issues. It's in the shop now for a new alternator but that after six years and 219,000 miles of driving. Thumbs up!

To pull a Dodge out the ditch!
By nizzlejr

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I have to say is wow! Ford hit it pretty good with a cheap 4x4 to get around in the winters and summer in Canada. I have to say that the only real problems I've had is changing a motor under warranty. Other then that my Escape has treated me well. Off road in this and you'll be very surprised. I've had the chance to go with Jeeps and such with no problems geting through the muck. Ford has put metal parts on this "truck" where you would see plastic, ie; end links. Very strong SUV. Fuel economy is something to get used to but then what would you expect to get in a near 4000 pound vehicle? Tows great. Transmission is good. I plan to enjoy this "truck" for another few years yet.

Favorite Features

4x4, sunroof, white gauges, and the fact you can recline the rear seats back-fold the front seats completly level. Stiff ride is nice too.

Suggested Improvements

A 4-lo and locking or posi final drive and rear differential

Average
By Carol

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape new. I've had it 7 1/2 years & 75,000 miles+. The acceleration isn't too great. Handles well in snow and bad conditions. The last year or so, it's needed a lot of repairs. The struts have been changed and it still has suspension issues (rattles). Recently both the clutch and the clutch master cylinder went out at the same time. A very costly repair (At 72, 000 miles). Two teenagers did learn to drive on it. But I expected it to go longer before needing costly repairs. It has been reliable getting me where I need to go. Doesn't like steep hills too much. And CIncinnati has those. I don't think I'd buy another one though. Too many repairs needed too soon.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage around 20-24 mpg. It sits high up and visibility is good. Also has lots of cupholders. Radio that came standard is of good quality

Suggested Improvements

More power to get up hills needed.