2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
No more Fords for me
By kathy on 04/26/08 21:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving my Escape. I am short and can see out of it better than anything I've driven before. The electrical problems are driving me crazy. After many visits to the dealer, they finally found that caulk had come loose and I had a gallon of water on my fuse box. Supposedly resealed and replaced the fuse box. Two months later I had it back in for the same problems, radio going off and on by itself, even when car is off, horn going off, trouble lights on for no reason. Said they can't find any problems and gave it back to me unfixed. Have contacted Ford and they won't do anything to help, so am buying a Honda on Monday. I'm sorry to say that Ford has lost another customer.

Solid Performer
By Dave on 04/23/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Escape new and drove it for six plus years. I wanted some of the conveniences (space, height and 4wd) of driving an SUV but was not willing to pay where the next size was priced, did not want horrendous MPG and back in 2002 most large SUVís still felt like driving a pickup truck. I got what I paid for it was a no thrills solid performer. The car was only in the shop twice for two minor recalls and the well known air sensor. I had the cd changer issue and the moon roof switch that was a pain but I did not ever get annoyed when it happened. It was a great drive as acceleration was excellent and the handling and feel of the SUV felt like I was driving a car.

2002 Ford Escape XLS
By C L B on 04/10/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle used (end of lease). Excellent condition. Ran into problems with manual transmission, idler bearing self-destructed. 3 weeks to replace, but local dealership was extremely accomodating. This sort of failure should simply not happen with a manual transmission.

Reliable, durable vehicle
By waterseh on 03/18/08 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for 7 and a half years and have never had a problem with it. I have done all the regularly scheduled maintainance and the car now has 140,000 miles on it and still runs like we first bought it. We have towed trailers, hauled lumber and taken it on some fairly easy trails (it is not 4WD) and it has always performed admirably. It even survived a rear-ending on the interstate and the subsequent $7,500 worth of damage. The only thing I would change about it is better fuel economy (22 city, 25 interstate), and that isn't even too bad for a SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle and it has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Great Escape
By Brian on 02/02/08 19:52 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine used with 71,000 miles on it. It being a small SUV I didn't really think it would do very well off road even though it had the 4wd. I was extremely suprised on just how well this thing can off-road! I have put it in some pretty hairy places and it just pulled on through without even second guessing it. It handles quite well on the road. I drive 75 miles a day for work in this thing, and I love every minute of it.

Still a nice car
By J Becker on 09/06/07 11:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle is comfortable and it drives well. The mileage was high, but it was in good shape. I purchased this vehicle in January of this year and for the first four months no problems. In the last four months it is starting to cost me money. I have had to replace the tire rod in the front,and now I need to replace the cv-joint so the anti-lock brakes will work. The belts in my tires are bad, and there is always a light bulb going out.

Great vehicle
By subarktika on 03/01/07 21:45 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first thing that impressed us with the Escape was the interior space. Driver and front passenger have lots of leg and head room. Like the way the rear seat cushions can be removed and also like the height of the cargo area. Ours has the No Boundaries Roof Rack which has been great for hauling bikes.

Ford Escape 2002
By Emster on 01/03/07 12:52 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good car for the most part, I think there are some design flaws that make this vehicle a "high maintenance" vehicle once the warranty is up. I had trouble with the wiring and windshield cracks. Overall, it got me where I needed to be with little trouble. It has a smooth ride and fits 5 comfortably.

Nearly 130,000 miles with no problems
By shihchi on 11/12/06 19:48 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have 128,000 miles in 4+ years. No problems. Never back to dealer for any repairs or problems. Avg. 21-24 mpg. Still solid. Spent 4 years on construction sites with no ill effects. Used as primary family vehicle. Daughter hit a deer on spring break with it; vehicle was A-OK, but deer wasn't. Still handles well and is quick. No complaints about CDs sticking or gear shift lever blocking access to anything. Large number cubbyholes are useful. Compared it to RAV4, CR-V and VUE. Escape was by far the best value and fun/comfortable drive. Wife, daughter and son all like it.

2002 Ford Escape - Lousy Transmission
By debbylee on 09/21/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1991 Ford Explorer, my first Ford. Loved it! So next time I got a 2002 Ford Escape. I have had nothing but problems. Transmission problems from day 1. Air intake chip going bad twice. I sure love the design and wish it had worked out. Still driving it.