Used 2002 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Hoping it lasts
By shelloaz

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the way my Escape drives and looks. I wish it didn't have so many little problems. This is my first time owning a Ford, I don't think I will be buying another one. I have had a problem with the check engine light coming on, fixed at dealer. A/C control knob broke, A/C is not very cold, having that checked in a couple of days, clunking sound coming from brakes when stopping. For a vehicle only 1 yr. old I didn't expect all these problems. My Toyota's always lasted 200,000 miles with very few problems, mostly towards the end. I just hope my ESCAPE makes it without bankruping us.

CD Changer, overall look, roomy, comfortable, engine pick up, very cute and fun to drive.

illuminated ignition/window/door locks, locking fuel cap, plastic feel of interior, rear A/C vents, fix the clunking noise in brakes, better warranty to allow for all the unnecessary repairs.

2002 Escape 4WD fun and feistiness
By NoJunk

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking, handles great on ice and in snow. I use it a lot for backraod access to hiking trailheads and it outperforms other vehicles I have driven in similar conditions (e.g. Land Rover). Lots of pep.

Handle-ability. Ease of dropping down rear seats for more cargo room. Good looks.

Blown Engine 47K $4388 Quality is Job ?
By mightyjoe

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoyed my vehicle until the day the engine broke down and the dealership told me I needed a new engine. The Ford dealership told me that the oil pump froze up causing the engine failure and it was an obvious defect. It's a shame that Ford does not stand behind their vehicles.

Towing capacity, handling, power, 6 disk cd changer

Vehicle needs to be quieter Interior noise much higher than competing vehicles.

Rocker Arm & Lifters
By TonyaSM

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Escape has been a great purchase for my rural area. Goes great in the snow. A few minor problems, bad alternator, bad CD player & windshield makes a clogged draining sound after a rain. The popping sound in the front wheel was the rocker arm and ball joint. Its all been replaced under warranty and she drive like new again.

The sporty look and still a family vehicle.

A front light near the gear shifter on the stearing column so you can see to start the vehicle.

Mostly Great Little Truck
By geffiner

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Escape for a little over a year now and there have been a few bumps in the road, but they have been fixed as quickly as possible. 4 months after I bought my car, the clutch Master Cylinder had to be replaced (that took 10 days), then 2 months later it was in the shop because it was leaking differential fluid, the dealership fixed that within a day. But then in June, 7 months later it was back in with problems with the differential and it turns out that had to be replaced too. Other than that no problems, and I love this vehicle besides.

The size of this mini SUV and the look. Its so sporty.

Figure out what is wrong with the brakes and clutch and make sure no one else has to be without their car for the 3 weeks I've been out of one so far.

• SUV