2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
XLT 4WD Premium
By TRC on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 3000 miles on the XLT Premium I bought a month ago, and am very satisified with it. The V6 has plenty of power & a solid feel. Only downside is that I'm averaging just over 20 mpg at 70 mph highway speeds. The ABS brakes are very smooth. It took a few tries to get the driver's seat adjusted right, but now it's comfortable even on long drives. Plenty of cargo space with the seat folded, and flipping the seats is easy. Only problem so far was with the 6-disc CD changer. I loaded a disc but it wouldn't play or eject. A stereo tech replaced it in 5 minutes and the new one works great.

Escape Review
By ebcobra93 on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice car. Fortunately, I like the looks and drivability of this car a lot. Two months after purchasing, I had to get the transmission replaced. Only problem with the Escape. Love the car.

Love the Power
By MoniSi on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I reviewed and test drove several mini- utes before making my decision. Standard equipment coupled with pricing made the Ford Escape an excellent choice for me. It is comfortably equipment with enough engine power as well as interior power features.

Sporty & fun to drive
By Ron Christopher on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We just returned from a 1,200 mile drive on vacation. This suv/truck/ sports car was an absolute pleasure to drive. We averaged a little over 20 mpg which is great for this strong V6. I highly reccomend the leather seating, the no boundries roof rack and the 16" sport wheels & tires, it`s gives the vehicle a little more class.

Pretty happy so far
By F. Mario on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car 7 months. It looks great and people always check it out. Escape is fun to drive and peppy. Lots of room for passengers. The 4WD is great in the snow, useful for Buffalo. Have not found gas mileage to be as advertised though.

BLONDIE
By shoessel on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle rides smooth, like the interior and exterior design, great fuel economy, like the sound system

Excellent for the money
By Mike of Detroit on 05/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLS Value 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In 1 year I have had 3 engine problems (nothing major but still inconvenient). Performance wise, the vehicle is excellent. The acceleration is quick and it handles like a dream! The cargo room is adequate. The back seats fold down with little effort, it's great. However, I do worry about the vehicle's thin, light-weight doors in an accident. They don't seem very safe. You must get the center console, without it it feels as though you are going to fall out of the driver's seat.

New to 4 wheel drive
By LeoH on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Moving from a Taurus SHO to this little SUV was a learning experience. It runs well and is quick. It pulls the trailer well also. Having to pull the headrests out to drop the back seat is a pain (Where do I store the head rests). It is a little bouncy on rough roads but otherwise rides well. "There ain't nuthin rong with the radio."

ford escape
By gerald shepard on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

love the car- only fauly is -no outside temp. reading

Needs higher quality material design
By Kevins on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is fun to drive and handles well. The only thing I would be concerned with this little jewel of an SUV is the quality of material used to design of the vehicle. I would be willing to pay an extra $1000.00 if the interior components(Plastic, leather seats, etc..) were of higher quality and careful/attention to detail. Overall Ford has got a nice vehicle and I would like to see some improvements in the choice of interior material.