2002 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Hard Pressed to Find One Better
By JSampson on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl 5 spd model @ 80k now: Bought used with 38k on it. I'm very meticulous about car issues and I have noticed only a couple things that have needed attention over the years. In my mind these issues are less about Ford and more about components manufactured in Asia (I'd bet). 1. Idle Air Control Valve needs some cleaning/replacement after 75k miles or so and is a total pain to get to. 2. DPEF sensor craps out about the same time. Neither one ever left me stranded or were $$$ but did create an erratic idle at times. Outside of that, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Engine has adequate power and has returned 25 mpg avg, consistently. Handling and braking even w/o all discs is good.

Cant wait to trade this in!
By Momof1 on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape SUV XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant wait to trade this in and get rid of it for a Honda Accord. I purchased this in July. The interior is just plain cheap. If you are looking for luxury forget it here. The seats are so cheap I feel like my back is killing me when I get to my destination. I dont feel safe with my child in the back. The back doors seem to be really thin. I have had this stall several times on me. I just dont feel safe in this car it doesnt seem hefty and it is so cheap! The only good thing about it is the basic size and the CD player. Good gas milage but I would trade that for a little more heft in the doors that are feather light.