2002 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Buy this and your repair shop will know you by name!
By dylywylly on 07/27/14 15:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I will start with the positives. It really is a fun car to drive, when it is not in the shop. The negatives, it is always in the shop. I bought this car two years ago and from day two it has had problems. It was first something in the 4x4 that was leaking that was a $400 fix. Then came the first oil leak (yes I have had three!) that was another $150 to repair. After that it was something in my front axle that was causing my car to pull like it was out of alignment. New front axle and $600 I though the car was good to go again. After that it was my break line that broke, it left me break-less in a ND winter. And many more! In short don't buy this car! It is yellow, like the lemon it is.

Pretty Good Car until 130K!
By dragonfly58 on 08/03/12 10:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Escape used w/80K miles on it. Three years later w/150K I'm now having BIG problems. Before it hit 130K the car was great! No problems, fun to drive, but now having big problems with E-Vap codes, check engine light always on, fuel hoses replaced, plugs/wires/coils burnt out, back seat release broke, falling apart all at once, cruise control won't work, CD player died, interior falling apart. Mileage horrible, no where near projected, getting 17-19mpg at best. Drivers seat wearing out, no cush left, but lumbar adjust ok. Have always had problems w/cargo door staying locked for days on end, the pits when groceries loaded & you gotta unload over back of seat.

Hard Pressed to Find One Better
By JSampson on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

4 cyl 5 spd model @ 80k now: Bought used with 38k on it. I'm very meticulous about car issues and I have noticed only a couple things that have needed attention over the years. In my mind these issues are less about Ford and more about components manufactured in Asia (I'd bet). 1. Idle Air Control Valve needs some cleaning/replacement after 75k miles or so and is a total pain to get to. 2. DPEF sensor craps out about the same time. Neither one ever left me stranded or were $$$ but did create an erratic idle at times. Outside of that, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. Engine has adequate power and has returned 25 mpg avg, consistently. Handling and braking even w/o all discs is good.

fordmamma
By smoochypoochy on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Escape new in sept of 02. previously owned a 95 escort wagon (5 speed) with over 200,000 miles on it. just wanted a 4x4 for my commute in the snow. Wow! great little car in snow. handles well. Too bad it now has over 250,000 miles on it. looking for another manual Ford transmission. They seem to never give up. 4 cylinder engines lacks power, but didn't buy it for that. Only had oil changes and fluid changes. Totally recommend Fords. Just test drove a '97 toyota Avalon, not impressed. STICK WITH AMERICAN

2002 limited 3.0 ford escape
By kia on 08/11/10 01:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Premium 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it had 114k mi. Black on Black. I had it for a year. the car was absolutely awesome. It had great pickup,good break system and great handling. I never took the car to mechanic for any reason. The only reason that I sold it was ,because I was trying to upgrade it but now I regret it. I changed 2 cars after that but I'm still not happy with what I have. I recommend this car 100%. If you can get the limited, because than the car would have all the options you would need, and there isn't so much difference in the price. the only good upgrade from this car is nissan murano or BMW X3, don't waist you time with other SUVs

This Little SUV is a Bull
By Paul D. on 07/31/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First of all I bought this Ford new. I have 50,000 miles on it. The repairs I've made, other than routine maintenance, are. Fuel pump and a tie rod end and that's it ( knock on wood). Power from this 200hp V-6 is more than ample and it's good to know you have that extra power when needed. The ride is a bit stiff but that is to be expected from an SUV. The seats are very comfortable so that makes the stiff ride more bearable. Very roomy. Highway road noise is above average. If your looking to improve on that a good set of passenger tire would help. A/T tires are not the way to go unless your looking for more traction. Fuel-ok at 20 mpg combined city/hwy for a V-6. Nice SUV.

One of my best!
By wado on 05/05/10 22:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot and have had many cars, trucks, SUVs but my 2002 Ford Escape was by far one of the best vehicles, that I have ever owned! The "ease", of entry/exit, is awesome, for me, and the performance vs mpg is a "perfect combination" I have owned over a hundred vehicles, mostly used, but 37 new, mostly Ford,GM, and this one stands out! Bravo to Ford for such a nice ride, just wish that they had left the spare INSIDE, where it belongs, and continued offering the column shift, for those of us, that are cramped by consoles. The redesigned 2008 and up are much more refined however!! Definitely worth a look!

A Real Trooper With Love
By Jenny on 02/23/10 11:12 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had it since 2002. Yes, I've had some major repairs. The engine went at 96K miles, so it cost us $7k to fix that. It cost me $4k to fix all 3 converters, and yes I had to pay to fix 3 of six coils. They said driving of fast accelerating and sudden stops could contributed to it, and we also drove it in England for 3 years, so that didn't help either. But it's always been there for us through the worse of times. Blizzards are no problem for me. I have better traction than most newer SUV's and trucks, including your MB's and Lexus. It does make squeaky sounds in the interior, but it's older. Not much you can do. With all the accidents, it's always gotten lesser damage and held up the most!

Great Vehicle
By JC on 12/05/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape XLT Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is really great SUV. My mom has 2002 Ford Escape that already has over 273,000 miles. Her friend drove a lot for work and vacation. Then she brought it from her friend because they got new car. We take a good care of this vehicle and thanks god its working very good. We rode/drove it A LOT. Ford Escape goes very well on winter, I remember we made it on the hill with 2WD which is awesome. This SUV is better gas than Jeep and Chevy blazer. Her vehicle is a little bit bad shape now but as long its run like reliable and we're keeping until the car break down but this SUV never die.

Lost a customer
By Annette S. on 11/17/09 17:44 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Escape XLS Choice 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After purchasing my truck I had costly repairs the very first year. Over the next 3yrs the truck had been great until last friday Nov 13th, when my truck had an electrical fire! Please be careful Escape owners, the truck was off and I was not inside when it caught fire. Never again will I own another Ford vehicle due to Ford not taking onwership of the problems with their vehicles.