Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Happy so far...
By Red 01

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 XLT V6 used with 52,000 in 2003. I have 79,000 on it currently. Even though some people have been unimpressed with the Escape's reliability, I have not had any major problems. The only things I have had to repair/replace were the brakes at 65k miles, egr sensor, and the coolant sensor, and tires which all together comes to about $1,000. Not bad for a SUV with 79k miles on it. Hopefully nothing major will happen any time soon. I usually get 20 mpg average. What I have found though is that the engine runs MUCH better if you run it with 100% gas and none of that 90% gas and 10% alcohol junk ... trust me, pay the extra 3 cents per gallon.

Favorite Features

Handles extremely well for an SUV, V6 engine is peppy, and the premium stereo is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded materials, updated transmission.

Great Escape
By Gr8Escape

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Escape when they came out in 2001. We were drawn to the body style and took one for a test drive. We bought an XLS with a 4 cylinder engine. My wife likes the fact that it has a low-emissions rating. She averages 28 MPG in the summer. It drops to 25 in the winter. This was something we could not find in any other SUV, foreign or domestic. Since the purchase the Escape has been excellent. Nothing more that routine maintenance has been required. We now have 80,000 miles on ours and will buy a new one when Ford comes out with a new body style

Favorite Features

The mileage is great (28MPG). The vehicle handles well and has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

If I could go back and buy this vehicle again I would add a leather seat and 4-wheel drive.

All in All, Not bad
By devlinz34

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new vehicle. Ordered it and waited 3 months to get it. Had a problem early on with an A\C vacuum line causing the A\C to kick in and out. Was fixed by dealer. Recently had a stalling issue and dealer never did fix the problem. Took it to an independent repair shop and they fixed it right. After 66k miles, the Escape has been very good and reliable. I hear there are some lemons out there, but I was lucky not to get one. Good power and great room for a small suv. However, looking at selling it for more room and larger towing capacity.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, reclining back seat, interior space for a small suv.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage stinks at about 18mpg on the V6. I have a heavy foot and at high altitude though. Need softer front seats, heated seats, and a little more power. Ford would hit a home run if they mated their electric engine with the V6 instead of the V4.

Great Escape
By Nadine

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I were initially concerned about buying the Escape in its first year. Ours is now 6 years old and we still love it. We have had no problems with it, and hope to have it at least another 6 years. Drives like a dream. I get between 23 and 26 miles to the gallon, so no complaints there. It's the perfect size for us. We needed something that could carry cargo, be comfortable for our dogs and was easy to maneuver. The Escape fit the bill perfectly. When my husband's full size truck needs to be replaced, we will get another Escape. I can't even think about replacing my current Escape.

Favorite Features

Size, Size, Size.

Suggested Improvements

The way the back seats fold down could be improved.

Great Truck
By TEEKAY

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a peppy and fun ride. It gets pretty good gas mileage for a V6 as compared with other SUV's. Great for hauling kids, pets and plenty of cargo. User friendly when flopping down seats to make room for cargo. The best truck I have ever owned. Much better cargo area than my Nissan Quest minivan. Minivan cargo areas are deceiving. I haven't had the trouble people tell you about with domestic "American" made cars and trucks. This was my first domestic car and a real winner.

Favorite Features

Engine runs smooth with excellent pick up. Easy controls. Great sound system. Powerful air conditioning. Great height for kids and adults.

Suggested Improvements

More thoughtful storage in console that has covers. While I have never been broken into it is always a concern.