2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
My car
By IcePrincess on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think this vehicle is great. I have to drive 200 miles 2 days per week and since its mainly freeway, I can go the 200 miles on 1/2 tank of gas.

ESCAPE
By GREGORY on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have no complaints with escape. The only problem was it shut off four times.Took back to dealer & after fourth time I think problem is solve. Over all I like escape very well & would buy again.

Great little SUV
By KJBock on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Other than the rattles from the rear, which were fixed by the dealer, my Escape has been relatively trouble free. Drives like a car, with good handling and plenty of power. I would recommend this vehicle for anyone.

Starting to show its age/
By darcy98 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've got 33K miles now and things are starting to go wrong. The driver's door is sticking, the car stalled at 45 mph and it's getting harder to start in cold weather. Overall it's a good vehicle, but I wouldn't get the V-4. Stick with the V-6 and don't pay more than $22,000.

Love My Escape
By Escape on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Took possession on 09/10/2001 - now have 33,050 miles on it.I follow the service manual but change oil every 3,000 miles faithfully. ABS brakes are terrific. Vehicle handles well in all weather and driving conditions. Comfortable on long rides. Holds a lot or cargo. Backseat conversion is easy- I can do it alone. Thinking of buying another this year and giving the 2001 to my husband.

Big Yellow
By m nelson on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first yellow Escape sold in Texas. It is very fun to drive. It is great on highway trips (13 & 15 hour drives). The fog lights were especially appreciated on two trips overnight with fog for 6 hours or more. Since we have been long-term Volvo drivers, we appreciated the steering and drivability. The Escape has none of those problems. It is also a pleasure in intense freeway traffic, 0 to 5mph and the speed limit variety. We have the towing package. It seemed to work fine the one time we used it.

2001 Escpe Power Steering Problems
By jc of the north on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I have enjoyed this vehicle. It rides well and handles very well on snow and ice. Lots of power with the six and great passenger room. I don't like the amount of wind noise . I have also had some problems with the power steering system. Had a hose come off and covered the engine compartment with fluid. Was told this is a common problem with this model. Presently the vehicle is sitting in the shop waiting for a power steering pump. We are at two weeks and counting. Were told that the dealership has a couple more Escapes with the same problem sitting and waiting as well. This does not insire confidence in the maintainability of this vehicle.

Many problems
By kfeels on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission broke down at 42,000 miles. Had to take to various dealers until finally the dealer we bought it from agreed to pay for half the repair cost for a new transmission. Very disappointed with the attitude I received from some dealers. I was told that the reason the transmission broke was that the fluid was not changed at 30,000. I find that hard to believe since other Escape owners also were having transmission problems. We are shopping for a safer car and will not consider a Ford.

Love my escape
By pfaulx on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle! Very dependable.

Escape has served well
By C.Bral on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this SUV. I'm buying another one this year! This car has held a pretty good resale value as well.