2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Wish I had 2 of them....
By Dave B. on 06/07/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is fun to drive and is ideal for "running the beaches." It is also extraordinarily sure-footed in the snow. Handles well on the highway as well as the city and the V-6 has power to spare. Wish I had bought 2 of them!

My 2001 is so fun!
By Marci on 05/31/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape and haven't looked back. It has enough power for me (got the V6)and my husband. He also loves it. It only had 47,000 miles on it and talked the dealership down to a great deal (after 2 days!). We live in northern California and already drove it down to southern California and it drove like a dream (I would've liked a little better gas mileage though). It's perfect for someone going from a car to an SUV. It's not too big and yet has PLENTY of room. You also have a good seeing height. Recommend it. Love it!

the winner
By Aaron cis on 04/27/05 20:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this cute SUV for my family needs and don't regret it at all. One of the best compact SUVs in the market with plenty of interior space. The reliability is outstanding despite the high mileage i got. Not a single complaint to make. Wife and kids love it. So why buy RAV4 or CR-V when you got the Escape?

My Escape
By JME on 04/21/05 13:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint I have about the Escapeis the cruise control button shape, it has a pointed edge and got caught on clothing and popped off several times; the last time I just gave up on fixing it!

Pretty good little SUV!
By craiginCT on 04/11/05 11:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VERY GLAD I got extended warranty: hydraulic clutch master cylinder went at 42,000 miles, tranny/shift cable got sloppy and replaced at 48,000, EGR valve at 50,000. BUT, those are the ONLY problems I've had on this little gem! Gas mileage: best = 29mpg on last long highway trip averaging 65mph; worst = 18mpg in 4WD in messy snow storm with the defroster blasting. I'm 6'1", 190lbs. Drivers seat and legroom very good for most trips. STILL very impressed with handling! 50k miles and never needed alignment. Could be a tad quieter on road, but can't complain given its overall utility. Good range on gears, though I keep wanting 6th gear; the 2.0L could have handled it on the highway and given even better gas mileage.

Great looks, value; crummy reliability
By SoCal commuter on 03/30/05 22:21 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new; 29,000 miles now. Have replaced SINCE WARRANTY ran out at 27,900: 2 power steering pumps, steering column, brakes at 26k, tensioner unit, tires, power brake assist motor, power steering hose, air filter unit, and 2 other engine repairs that details escape me now but each ran more than $200 in parts. Also, there is something in the engine manifold which cannot be fixed but is a "known issue" - there's a TSB on it - high-pitched squealing from manifold, Under warranty, about 5 breakdowns/year first three years. Always something new. I'm going back to Toyota or Honda. This is the worst build quality I could imagine.

01 XLT
By howiez5150 on 12/21/04 21:07 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned an xlt 4X4 for 4 yrs and just turned it in on lease. It was my wife's car and it was the first car she has owned and like for over 2 years. We had it in shop a couple of times for minor issues, although it was making a weird transmission noise when we turned it in. Overall, very nice to drive and decent mpg considering it is a SUV. Definitely get the XLT version for a nicer interior design and stay away from 4 cylinder (it has no power). The v6 takes off and has lots of jump at any speed. We would highly recommend over other SUV in its class.

Disappointed
By Tonyyy on 11/24/04 13:27 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Check engine light keeps coming on for problem after problem. Most recently, at 51k, engine misfire. Had to replace ignition coil, ignitor - that didn't work. Ended up at dealer service ripping apart the whole engine to replace a bad valve - big expense. Big disappointment. CD player gets CD's stuck all the time, luggage rack needed repainted after only 10K, powered seats not working properly, really not enough head room for me at 6'4". Nice looking vehicle, but I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy on 11/24/04 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.