Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Nice looking ride
By Autumn

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape and it currently has 170,000 miles. I bought it used. So far the only thing I have has to replace was spark plugs, but recently I have noticed that it has problems starting when it is cold? Also I have had troubles with the CD changer. And yes the back hatch only opens when it feels like it. Grr that is very frustrating! But I do love the looks, space, and the drive. I love it just want a brand new one. I think dependability all depends on how well they are maintained!

I love my leather seats, the sound system, and I love the look of the dash. I love the seats folding down. It has a lot of room.

Diffrent tires. More trusty struts, and not such cheap luggage rack or step runner.

Bought used, but still great.
By Kevin

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 116K miles. Vehicle is now seven years old now and looks and drives great. The interior is still in perfect condition. Leather seats are barely worn. Went up from sedan to this due to having a child. Great room and car seats are a breeze now.

Six disc in-dash CD changer, lots of cargo room. V6 has lots of power, good gas mileage (22-26 highway)

Leather seats are hard, long shifts, small rear view mirror.

OK, but
By Ron

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has been very reliable. With over 120000 miles, it's also had its challenges. It's thrown two belt pulleys, and three belts. It goes everywhere and starts all the time. Have the xls, 5-speed. Mileage is not that great, 22-23. Last year, replaced the clutch, let my son learn to drive it, and shocks.

Design, comfort, roominess, reliability. Just goes and goes. Maintenance is pretty easy.

Have the cloth interior, very cheaply built. The driver seat is cracking on the vinyl trim, the cloth is still great.

I love this vehicle
By Cindy

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used in 2001 with 7600 miles on it. I've owned it and used it every day since with not one regret. I now have 123000 miles on it and other than routine maintenance-oil change, tires, battery, etc I have had no problems. I just recently started noticing the missing on the sunroof switch and although the altenator tested ok, my light is on but doesn't seem to be draining the battery at all. I wish the interior of the new Escapes were as will designed in the center console area but will definately buy another. My only complaints are road noise and for being smaller, my gas mileage is no better than the Explorer (18- 19mpg). Handles great in MN winters.

6 CD player, handles like a car, comfortable & great room in the rear seats for passengers. Great interior room for large items.

Better gas mileage could be possible even without going hybrid. Better insulation for road noise.

Love it
By la1528

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the Escape. The gas mileage is great. I usually pull about 36mpg on highway and 32 in the city(non-hybrid) The 5 speed is a great option, currently at 114 thou miles.

Nice pick up for a 4 cylinder with a five speed, the cupholders, room, and gas mileage.

It could use a bigger gas tank. It would be nice to have a 20 gallon tank.