Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Awesome
By Ben Prosser

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this since the beginning, and it is awesome. Had to replace the clutch cable 3 times, but thats it. It now has 203,000 miles on it and still runs fine. I4 with 5 speed seems to be running good and strong. 4x4 works well, and it handles fine in the snow. This is the best car I have ever driven, and I hope that it keeps on going.

4x4, overall quality, handling and driving

Higher quality of plastic bumpers

Good SUV
By Michelle M

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape in 2003 with 8,000 mi on it. It's now 2009 with only 70,000 mi on it. I keep up great maintaince on it. I have made several minor repairs on it until recently. The spring broke in the gear shift, so you have to mess with the gear shift when you put in park so you can get the key out. I had to replace the IAC motor, new spark plugs, stabilizer bar and link. Replace a lifter and cam shaft. This was very expensive. I still like it though. I'm thinking on buying a new one. I just hope they have improved.

I like the exterior shape of it. The 4wd is great it St. Louis and Illinois snow. Very roomy backseat and trunk area. Gas mileage is'nt so bad. It's a great vehicle for me. I also like all the added features including the running boards and luggage rack. It's white, which looks sharp!

Manufacture better brake rotors. Sunroof sometimes doesn't open or close. Alot of driving noise. Would like to see AC for feet only and more comfortable seats. I wouldn't recommend leather seats. Very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter.

Fun, Reliable, Versatile, Great on Gas
By Geoff

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Excellent sound system, huge sunroof, very versatile. Great on gas for an SUV with 4x4 and V6 engine. On a long trip with the A/C on I averaged 24-25MPG! With the A/C I got 28MPG! The engine is very powerful making passing or merging effortless. Handles great in the snow. Never have I felt out of control, all handling is predictable. Very fun to drive! You will not regret purchasing an Escape!

More powerful heating and cooling for climate control system. Adjustable headrests, I am 6' 2" and the seat only comes up to my neck. This issue was resolved in newer models.

Not what I signed up for
By SMIverson

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car recently because it looked good - inside and out - and thought it would make for a reliable second car. Not hardly, and I only have myself to blame, because I didn't have it inspected before handing over my money. The vehicle leaks oil and the transmission is definitely on its way out. The fog lights didn't work when I took delivery and all four tires leak like it's the middle of January! Truth be told, I probably just got a bad one because I did read good things about this vehicle prior to my purchase decision. It doesn't ease my trepidation, but suffice it to say I won't be keeping this car long; someone else can foot the bill to keep it running.

Ride quality. That's it. Oh, it's a a decent looking vehicle, too.

Build a better engine and transmission, Ford! Fuel economy is horrible, too, considering it is such a small SUV. I'm averaging only 16 mpg.

Nice looking ride
By Autumn

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape and it currently has 170,000 miles. I bought it used. So far the only thing I have has to replace was spark plugs, but recently I have noticed that it has problems starting when it is cold? Also I have had troubles with the CD changer. And yes the back hatch only opens when it feels like it. Grr that is very frustrating! But I do love the looks, space, and the drive. I love it just want a brand new one. I think dependability all depends on how well they are maintained!

I love my leather seats, the sound system, and I love the look of the dash. I love the seats folding down. It has a lot of room.

Diffrent tires. More trusty struts, and not such cheap luggage rack or step runner.