2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Been pretty good so far
By Josh on 05/24/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Escape XLT 4x4 right when it first came out. It has served me well, the only problem was the brakes went out at around 60,000 miles. Around 80,000 miles, the tranny started to make some strange noises and now at 86,000 miles, it is time to get it looked at. Otherwise, it has been a great car...got me out of a couple Wisconsin snow drifts, and now keeps me cool in south Florida. The AC could have a little more ooommmpphhhh. Oh, and the CD player runs really hot and sometimes refuses to eject CDs at times.

No Problems
By Mach72 on 04/30/06 09:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this SUV and was a little scared to by a car made in the USA, after all the horror stories you hear. PROS: I have not had one problem with this SUV. It's the perfect size for the city and has loads of space with the rear seats down to haul all kinds STUFF. It looks great after almost 5 years.No rust or fading paint. I have not taken it off road but have taken it on some pretty rough dirt roads in Maine and New Hampshire were it performed well. I have driven it to Florida twice. Good gas mileage. CONS: Road noise on the highway.

Fun Drive
By rk on 02/19/06 00:38 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV. Looked at Jeep liberty, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and the Nissan Xterra. At 6'2" I have enough room up front. Good MPG, V6 has good power, easy to drive around town. Road noise and small fuel tank is the only down side on road trips. I had zero problems with the Escape so far.

Enjoyed every mile of it
By Christianne Nunez on 02/12/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the moment I saw it I fell in love with the looks (both exterior and interior). When I bought it and had the chance to drive it, I loved it even more. It has been reliable (great engine power when street lights turn green, and when having to advance slow moving vehicles, which I attribute to the combination of its light body and 6v engine) and it has been fun, making me look and feel younger. Great for outdoor activities (going up the mountains or the beach). Huge trunk capacity.

Great Little SUV
By Chris Easton on 01/01/06 19:46 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV is like the "Little Engine That Could." I wanted a small SUV that can tow and the Escape is the perfect choice. It has excellent handling, a nice ride and the V6 has plenty of power. It also gets decent gas mileage and performs well off road. Reliability has been excellent, I just change the oil every 3000 miles and that's it.

Good SUV for the money
By Sqoug on 10/19/05 00:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has about 43,000 miles right now. I have had it since April '01. During that time it broke only once - DPFE sensor stopped working at about 20,000 miles and was fixed on warranty. (I noticed no problem driving with broken DPFE sensor. It is probably important only for some emissions stuff.) The only other visit to the dealer was for the seat buckle recall. With that record I would say that this is a very reliable car. Average gas mileage on a 6000+ mile trip from CA to MN and back was about 23MPG. I do maintenance on my own - engine oil, ATF, radiator fluid, brakes, filters. I think I will keep my Escape for a few more years. No real reason to upgrade.

4 years and not one problem!
By cascole on 09/21/05 15:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Escape. I was nervous about it being the first model year, but I took the plunge. I've never regretted it. The Escape has great 'get up and go', is fun to drive, sporty & fits everything I need it to. Best of all -- I have not had a single problem with it in 4 years & over 70K miles! I hope to keep mine for another year, and may even go with another Escape when I do finally decide it's time for a change.

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4x4
By Karen P. on 09/06/05 11:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent 4x4 by Ford. Very roomy, handles well, great off-road and on. Superior in snow. I test drove both Toyota RAV4 & Honda CR-V and this was by far my choice. Handles better and cost was definitely a winner. You should consider it.

Never buy the first model of a car
By Brandy on 07/28/05 17:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I made the mistake of buying an Escape a few months after it came out. I loved it until it stalled on the interstate after only 25,000 miles. Now that it has 115,000 miles, I have replaced 7 sensors, the alternator, the radiator overflow cup, an engine valve, two sets of brakes, and two sets of tires. Not to mention it was recalled three different times as well. I had it tuned up three out of the four years I have had it, but it didn't help. I also hate the gear shifter being in the way of the radio since I have knocked it into neutral on several occassions while trying to change the station. Since this car has been so "reliable", I am switching to a Honda or Toyota soon.

What a disappointment!
By LazyGecko on 07/10/05 11:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a long time Ford owner and when my wife wanted an SUV, I thought the Escape made a good choice. Reasonable price, nice styling and a manageable size. I figured the Ford quality would go along with it. At 80k miles, I have replaced the transmission (!) and several suspension components. The ABS and brake light has come on, and the master cylinder leaks brake fluid. Worse yet; my 170k mile Taurus is 200% better in the Wisconsin snow falls than this piece of junk! The ride is awful. The seats are almost as uncomfortable as the vinyl wrapped plywood found in 1950's Cessna 152. Also, the seats stain with spilled WATER!