2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Good Little SUV
By olcrank on 09/27/07 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Always impressed with handling, acceleration,and visibility. Drove on road and off road for five years never had a problem. Of course seldom "beat" the little bugger, and maintained as prescribed. Not as tough as a Jeep,and a little shy in the ground clearance dept. but all around a great little SUV.

Escape Now In Panama
By Ric on 09/27/07 02:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Escape Rocks! I purchased it new the first year it came out. My reason purchasing the Escape was for the ease of placing my windsurfing boards and equipment on top. I have taken this SUV on many of windsurfing trips with a lot of gear inside and on the top. I have had only slight issues with the Escape. Clutch master went out on a road trip to New Orleans. Went to the auto parts store and fixed it myself. Steel trending came off of the rear tire and broke of some of the trim. Problem was the tire not the Escape. I have now retired to Panama and have taken my Escape with me. We have great roads down here but the gas is a little high down here, the highway mileage is great

Not too shabby
By Jeff on 08/14/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall pretty happy with our V6 XLT 4x4 at 83,350 now. Handled tough Colorado 4x4 trails well even without low range (as well as slippery roads). Only a few problems: idle air control valve and blower motor died. ~22 mpg HWY, ~18 city.

It's falling apart on me
By runnergirl on 05/07/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car looks and the way it drives. The problem I have it that it's falling apart, literally. I've replaced 2 stereos, 4 sensors, 1 sunroof motor and still need work done. The leather is peeling off 3 of 4 doors, my sunroof now has a leak, the motor is dying on the sunroof again, the front passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the tailgate only opens when it feels like it. Very frustrating when I've got a load of groceries and the tailgate won't open.

Excellent Escape 2001 AWD
By matthew516 on 03/15/07 07:27 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have no complaints. My 01 Escape has almost 100k miles and everything is still in like new working order. Hardly any squeaks or rattles. The 4 wheel independent suspension and AWD make this SUV outstanding in all conditions. GOOD QUALITY!

Happy so far...
By Red 01 on 02/05/07 20:34 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2001 XLT V6 used with 52,000 in 2003. I have 79,000 on it currently. Even though some people have been unimpressed with the Escape's reliability, I have not had any major problems. The only things I have had to repair/replace were the brakes at 65k miles, egr sensor, and the coolant sensor, and tires which all together comes to about $1,000. Not bad for a SUV with 79k miles on it. Hopefully nothing major will happen any time soon. I usually get 20 mpg average. What I have found though is that the engine runs MUCH better if you run it with 100% gas and none of that 90% gas and 10% alcohol junk ... trust me, pay the extra 3 cents per gallon.

Great Escape
By Gr8Escape on 12/10/06 16:41 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Escape when they came out in 2001. We were drawn to the body style and took one for a test drive. We bought an XLS with a 4 cylinder engine. My wife likes the fact that it has a low-emissions rating. She averages 28 MPG in the summer. It drops to 25 in the winter. This was something we could not find in any other SUV, foreign or domestic. Since the purchase the Escape has been excellent. Nothing more that routine maintenance has been required. We now have 80,000 miles on ours and will buy a new one when Ford comes out with a new body style

All in All, Not bad
By devlinz34 on 10/14/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new vehicle. Ordered it and waited 3 months to get it. Had a problem early on with an A\C vacuum line causing the A\C to kick in and out. Was fixed by dealer. Recently had a stalling issue and dealer never did fix the problem. Took it to an independent repair shop and they fixed it right. After 66k miles, the Escape has been very good and reliable. I hear there are some lemons out there, but I was lucky not to get one. Good power and great room for a small suv. However, looking at selling it for more room and larger towing capacity.

Great Escape
By Nadine on 07/25/06 04:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I were initially concerned about buying the Escape in its first year. Ours is now 6 years old and we still love it. We have had no problems with it, and hope to have it at least another 6 years. Drives like a dream. I get between 23 and 26 miles to the gallon, so no complaints there. It's the perfect size for us. We needed something that could carry cargo, be comfortable for our dogs and was easy to maneuver. The Escape fit the bill perfectly. When my husband's full size truck needs to be replaced, we will get another Escape. I can't even think about replacing my current Escape.

Great Truck
By TEEKAY on 06/27/06 09:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a peppy and fun ride. It gets pretty good gas mileage for a V6 as compared with other SUV's. Great for hauling kids, pets and plenty of cargo. User friendly when flopping down seats to make room for cargo. The best truck I have ever owned. Much better cargo area than my Nissan Quest minivan. Minivan cargo areas are deceiving. I haven't had the trouble people tell you about with domestic "American" made cars and trucks. This was my first domestic car and a real winner.