Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Fun and Faithful
By Faithful and fun

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years old with 47k miles on it. It now has 206k miles (!!!) and is still going strong. I use it to commute, for beach runs, and to haul stuff around, and it runs great. Over the years I've fixed the suspension and brakes a few times, and it ate a tranny at 90k, but otherwise it's been very reliable. It's fun to drive as well. I paid $15k for it and I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. Fuel economy isn't bad, by the way (23k highway). Front seats are more comfortable than in my wife's Mercedes (yes, believe it -- I have a bad back). Worst part of the experience was the selling dealer; I will never return there except to buy a car under invoice.

Engine, handling, seats, storage, versatility

Fuel tank needs to be bigger. Brakes & suspension seem to be undersized. A little more soundproofing would be nice. Multi-CD player is prone to jamming (with my favorite CDs stuck in it)

Not worth payments on vehicle
By jileik

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this vehicle in 08/06 and fell in love with it i was trading in a Subaru Legacy AWD and wanted to keep the 4 Wheel drive without spending alot of money. I should have kept the subaru. From the time i got it things were happening, the front end was clunking, back end is severely cracked, transmission is gone, sealant around the doors comes off, doors are impossible to open, and only 2 out of the 6 cylinders work. While the interior is nice it is not worth the payments i am making, i am taking my chances on a FWD Toyota which is more reliable. I would not recommend this car unless you know a ford mechanic.

When running fine it has alot of get up and go but you have to get it running right, also like the style inside

better engine life, make the seals last longer and not fall off of the doors, make the frame around the vehicle more sturdy.

Would buy one again!
By David

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Escape new. It was our first Ford and we have had a terrific experience. For me, it rides a little rough but hey! it's a SUV. We replaced the tires at 35,000; that seemed a little low for me. We have replaced the master cylinder, cruise control switch, ball joints, along with normal maintenance. It seems like normal stuff. We were rear-ended at 90,000 miles and, after $5000 in repairs it looked terrific again. No plans to replace. Definitely recommend the V6. great pick up.

The V6 pick up. It flies.

Can't think of a thing.

Great SUV
By jessibarn

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my Escape a week ago and I LOVE it! Luckily it was well taken care of so I've got no problems. Proz: Decent mpg for SUV, Looks sharp in/out, turns well, easy to manuever, and drives great. Cons: Sunroof slow to open now, set up of shifter, igniton, and windshield wipers is tricky. Needs rear air vents other than the floor. I moved from a Corolla and I feel safe and secure driving it. So far I am very happy.

Sunroof, Cold A/C, Tilt backseats for comfort, Glass opens on back door for quicker access, running boards, roof racks, so much to name...

Rear air vents, better arangement of shifter.windshield wipers and ignition- too cramped, better mpg.

Nice SUV
By Jim

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with 60,000 miles a couple of years ago ... been a GREAT little SUV. Had a master cylinder replaced and new tires and that's it. Starts EVERY time and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. Good storage and rides pretty well for a smaller SUV. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Drives great - reliable and plenty of storage.

Interior is a little on the cheap side ... and wish I got a tad better gas mileage ... guess we all do.

• SUV