2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Frustrated With This 2001 Ford Escape
By Capricorn on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to take it back to the shop for a recall item & some minor stuff. Minor has now started to become major. Before you buy this, think about quality. I can assure you that Ford doesn't care once you go pass the warranty period. I've had to get the spark plugs replaced, #1 engine coil, tires & brake pads. I'm still having an acceleration & misfire prob which I was told that the malfunc was somewhere in the #1 cylinder. The tech said it could be anything. That stupid eng light has been on more times than I can remember. Hard for you to get to some of your spark plugs & coils-it's gonna cost to remove that eng intake & replace those expensive coils.

4x4 xls 4cyl
By dm1600 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

really enjoy vehicle overall. power is a bit weak with 4 cyl, not a good trade off but saved $$$$ over purchase price. very comfortable for adults in front & back. now have 40k miles runs great and still tight. great value

Escape
By klondikecat on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very good during the blizzards of 03, worked better than Explorers, and other 4WD vehicles.

Escape
By tamo on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coolant light too closely resembles battery light. Gear shifter gets in the way of changing the radio...that's about it!

Very good car for the money
By doorg_reater on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 25500 miles in my Escape. I have FWD version, so it is not that great on snow, but is still good on gravel and forest roads when it is dry. Overall, I like this this car, especially the strong engine and good handling. (I have driven Hyundai Santa Fe, and Escape handles much better than Hyundai.) I got the cheap XLS version so the interior is pretty basic, but still OK. The only problem so far was failed DPFE sensor at 19k miles.

best car i ever had until today
By myszia on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i LOVE my escape. it's the ideal car for us, and has never given us a problem unlike our last car, a 2000 volkswagon beetle which was a complete lemon. everything was great until today, when at 37,000 miles our brake light went on and lo and behold we find out the master cylinder is dead....$600 in repair bills later i'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem so early in the life of their escape?

GREAT SUV FOR THE MONEY
By GEORGIADRIVER on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WONDERFUL SUV WITH MANY FEATURES. RIDES,HANDLES AND CRUISES WELL. GOOD PICKUP WITH V6 ENGINE. RECOMMEND IT FOR ANY ONE LOOKING FOR A COMPACT SUV AT A GREAT PROCE.

MyEscape
By stam2828 on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

own v4 5spd xls for exactly one year with 15000 miles. cannot conclude reliability due to shortness of ownership, but no problems so far. impress with price to value and mpg. very roomy inside, great headroom and good trunk space for mini-sub. ideal for small family that requires childseats. shifts smoothly, however engine has "stalling" feeling when coming to a stop. ride is a bit bumpy but expected for a suv. engine noise also a bit loud but ok with me to drown out crying kids!