Used 2001 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

My 2001 is so fun!
By Marci

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape and haven't looked back. It has enough power for me (got the V6)and my husband. He also loves it. It only had 47,000 miles on it and talked the dealership down to a great deal (after 2 days!). We live in northern California and already drove it down to southern California and it drove like a dream (I would've liked a little better gas mileage though). It's perfect for someone going from a car to an SUV. It's not too big and yet has PLENTY of room. You also have a good seeing height. Recommend it. Love it!

Favorite Features

The zippy V6. It's really comfortable and roomy for long distances and, for the women, cute too (inside and out)!

Suggested Improvements

The shifter does get in the way of the stereo knobs (they fixed it in '05 model) and there is a consistent noise in the the rear door hatch; can't pinpoint exactly what it is to stop it yet.

My Escape
By JME

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint I have about the Escapeis the cruise control button shape, it has a pointed edge and got caught on clothing and popped off several times; the last time I just gave up on fixing it!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage.

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

Favorite Features

You can really feel the power of 201hp. I have FIVE cup-holders (you can never have enough). The spedometer has black text on a white background. It doesn't sound great, but see it for yourself. TONS of space. The factory stereo is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

ABS didn't come standard. NEVER make a vehicle that has a cab collapse on a 40mph front impact. A transmission can last the life of the vehicle. Mine lasted for 46K miles. Seatbelt receptacles should never "fail in the event of an accident." 5 recalls is a bit much.

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Favorite Features

Color (yellow). Awesome cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality seats in the xls.

Great Value, Great Fun
By Anke2000

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car! It is an SUV, but small, has tons of room inside, yet handles and feels more like a compact. Although it only has 4 cylinders, since it is a standard, I get incredible control and manouverablity. I like that I sit high enough to have a great view all around (enhanced by windows everywhere -> the blind spot is minimal), it is not so hight that I need to climb up into it. All around a really great deal for such a "small" package.

Favorite Features

High seats, lots of room, inside handles to pull down rear hatch (no dirt on your hands!), plus the window opens, too.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window wiper could be bigger and better postitioned. It only clears a fraction of the window, plus a replacement is only available from Ford and very expensive (about$12!)!