2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews 3

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Good SUV
By Michelle M on 01/06/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape in 2003 with 8,000 mi on it. It's now 2009 with only 70,000 mi on it. I keep up great maintaince on it. I have made several minor repairs on it until recently. The spring broke in the gear shift, so you have to mess with the gear shift when you put in park so you can get the key out. I had to replace the IAC motor, new spark plugs, stabilizer bar and link. Replace a lifter and cam shaft. This was very expensive. I still like it though. I'm thinking on buying a new one. I just hope they have improved.

Fun, Reliable, Versatile, Great on Gas
By Geoff on 12/02/08 01:15 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Excellent sound system, huge sunroof, very versatile. Great on gas for an SUV with 4x4 and V6 engine. On a long trip with the A/C on I averaged 24-25MPG! With the A/C I got 28MPG! The engine is very powerful making passing or merging effortless. Handles great in the snow. Never have I felt out of control, all handling is predictable. Very fun to drive! You will not regret purchasing an Escape!

Not what I signed up for
By SMIverson on 11/20/08 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car recently because it looked good - inside and out - and thought it would make for a reliable second car. Not hardly, and I only have myself to blame, because I didn't have it inspected before handing over my money. The vehicle leaks oil and the transmission is definitely on its way out. The fog lights didn't work when I took delivery and all four tires leak like it's the middle of January! Truth be told, I probably just got a bad one because I did read good things about this vehicle prior to my purchase decision. It doesn't ease my trepidation, but suffice it to say I won't be keeping this car long; someone else can foot the bill to keep it running.

Nice looking ride
By Autumn on 10/01/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Escape and it currently has 170,000 miles. I bought it used. So far the only thing I have has to replace was spark plugs, but recently I have noticed that it has problems starting when it is cold? Also I have had troubles with the CD changer. And yes the back hatch only opens when it feels like it. Grr that is very frustrating! But I do love the looks, space, and the drive. I love it just want a brand new one. I think dependability all depends on how well they are maintained!

Bought used, but still great.
By Kevin on 07/30/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 116K miles. Vehicle is now seven years old now and looks and drives great. The interior is still in perfect condition. Leather seats are barely worn. Went up from sedan to this due to having a child. Great room and car seats are a breeze now.

OK, but
By Ron on 06/14/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has been very reliable. With over 120000 miles, it's also had its challenges. It's thrown two belt pulleys, and three belts. It goes everywhere and starts all the time. Have the xls, 5-speed. Mileage is not that great, 22-23. Last year, replaced the clutch, let my son learn to drive it, and shocks.

I love this vehicle
By Cindy on 03/16/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the vehicle used in 2001 with 7600 miles on it. I've owned it and used it every day since with not one regret. I now have 123000 miles on it and other than routine maintenance-oil change, tires, battery, etc I have had no problems. I just recently started noticing the missing on the sunroof switch and although the altenator tested ok, my light is on but doesn't seem to be draining the battery at all. I wish the interior of the new Escapes were as will designed in the center console area but will definately buy another. My only complaints are road noise and for being smaller, my gas mileage is no better than the Explorer (18- 19mpg). Handles great in MN winters.

Love it
By la1528 on 01/28/08 17:47 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the Escape. The gas mileage is great. I usually pull about 36mpg on highway and 32 in the city(non-hybrid) The 5 speed is a great option, currently at 114 thou miles.

Excellent choice
By Deanna Barker on 01/10/08 13:17 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the Ford Escape in October 2001. Had been a loyal GM buyer for years. Will be trading my 2001 Escape for a 2008 in the spring. Would not think of buying anything else. Vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it and has only been in the shop once for repairs and a couple times for recalls. The most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

Reliable/versatile/exceeds expectations
By Ray in Northern VA on 12/01/07 13:18 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this a month after buying a BMW 330i, thinking Iíd drive the Ford in the winter and on the beach near my parentsí home in MD. A year later, my wife dumper her unreliable VW and absconded with my Escape. She loves it. The reliability difference between the BMW and Ford is stark. The Ford, with 115k miles has required only one repair. We recently replaced the stabilizer bar links (2 at $12/each + $40 for labor). All other maintenance has been routine or wear- related (oil changes, fluid flushes, brakes, etc). We love the reliability. It handles extremely well in snow, and light off- road conditions. Most maintenance is relatively inexpensive.