Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good for a few years
By Matt

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car the first year it was introduced and really enjoyed it for the first 85,000 miles. Eventually several small things started happening; radio sounds fine but the display hasn't worked in 18 months. Interior front door fabric material has come unglued on driver and passenger's side. Factory installed tinting on driver's side window has bubbled. Have spent a couple hundred dollars 2-3 times in the last 6 months for engine related issues, and still the engine light comes on intermittently. In general I've enjoyed the car, but it's not built to last - at least the first year edition's not.

Agile & responsive. Drives like a car ans is very nimble. Gas mileage is relatively good. Affordable and fun to drive.

Reliability & build quality.

Bad transmission
By Mark

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So, bought one of these gently used from a friend, despite negative reviews. He had only put 68k miles on it after buying it new, and it was well maintained and clean. 2 months later, replaced the o2 sensor, and the transmission just went out. My wife loves the Escape, but the stories about the transmission are absolutely true.

Fun and Faithful
By Faithful and fun

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years old with 47k miles on it. It now has 206k miles (!!!) and is still going strong. I use it to commute, for beach runs, and to haul stuff around, and it runs great. Over the years I've fixed the suspension and brakes a few times, and it ate a tranny at 90k, but otherwise it's been very reliable. It's fun to drive as well. I paid $15k for it and I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. Fuel economy isn't bad, by the way (23k highway). Front seats are more comfortable than in my wife's Mercedes (yes, believe it -- I have a bad back). Worst part of the experience was the selling dealer; I will never return there except to buy a car under invoice.

Engine, handling, seats, storage, versatility

Fuel tank needs to be bigger. Brakes & suspension seem to be undersized. A little more soundproofing would be nice. Multi-CD player is prone to jamming (with my favorite CDs stuck in it)

Not worth payments on vehicle
By jileik

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this vehicle in 08/06 and fell in love with it i was trading in a Subaru Legacy AWD and wanted to keep the 4 Wheel drive without spending alot of money. I should have kept the subaru. From the time i got it things were happening, the front end was clunking, back end is severely cracked, transmission is gone, sealant around the doors comes off, doors are impossible to open, and only 2 out of the 6 cylinders work. While the interior is nice it is not worth the payments i am making, i am taking my chances on a FWD Toyota which is more reliable. I would not recommend this car unless you know a ford mechanic.

When running fine it has alot of get up and go but you have to get it running right, also like the style inside

better engine life, make the seals last longer and not fall off of the doors, make the frame around the vehicle more sturdy.

Would buy one again!
By David

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Escape new. It was our first Ford and we have had a terrific experience. For me, it rides a little rough but hey! it's a SUV. We replaced the tires at 35,000; that seemed a little low for me. We have replaced the master cylinder, cruise control switch, ball joints, along with normal maintenance. It seems like normal stuff. We were rear-ended at 90,000 miles and, after $5000 in repairs it looked terrific again. No plans to replace. Definitely recommend the V6. great pick up.

The V6 pick up. It flies.

Can't think of a thing.