Used 2001 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Now In Panama
By Ric

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Escape Rocks! I purchased it new the first year it came out. My reason purchasing the Escape was for the ease of placing my windsurfing boards and equipment on top. I have taken this SUV on many of windsurfing trips with a lot of gear inside and on the top. I have had only slight issues with the Escape. Clutch master went out on a road trip to New Orleans. Went to the auto parts store and fixed it myself. Steel trending came off of the rear tire and broke of some of the trim. Problem was the tire not the Escape. I have now retired to Panama and have taken my Escape with me. We have great roads down here but the gas is a little high down here, the highway mileage is great

Favorite Features

Dependable with a 100500 miles. Holds up well in saltwater environments. Drives like a car, not a truck. Lots of rear storage room. Gets good gas mileage for an SUV. Good sound system. Very good A/C system. Wide body which is very stable for mountain and hill driving. Very powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Just make the plastic trim a little stronger. Real world roof racks would be nice.

Great Escape
By Gr8Escape

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Escape when they came out in 2001. We were drawn to the body style and took one for a test drive. We bought an XLS with a 4 cylinder engine. My wife likes the fact that it has a low-emissions rating. She averages 28 MPG in the summer. It drops to 25 in the winter. This was something we could not find in any other SUV, foreign or domestic. Since the purchase the Escape has been excellent. Nothing more that routine maintenance has been required. We now have 80,000 miles on ours and will buy a new one when Ford comes out with a new body style

Favorite Features

The mileage is great (28MPG). The vehicle handles well and has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

If I could go back and buy this vehicle again I would add a leather seat and 4-wheel drive.

Enjoyed every mile of it
By Christianne Nunez

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the moment I saw it I fell in love with the looks (both exterior and interior). When I bought it and had the chance to drive it, I loved it even more. It has been reliable (great engine power when street lights turn green, and when having to advance slow moving vehicles, which I attribute to the combination of its light body and 6v engine) and it has been fun, making me look and feel younger. Great for outdoor activities (going up the mountains or the beach). Huge trunk capacity.

Favorite Features

Great starting power at traffic lights and advancing slow moving vehicles. Its almost 360 degrees turn around capability in small spaces. Also its middle size compared to other SUV's.

Suggested Improvements

Next time I would buy the 4 wheel drive, since the front wheel drive makes it skid a little in some circumstances such as starting up a wet hill. They all should be 4 wheel drive.

Good SUV for the money
By Sqoug

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has about 43,000 miles right now. I have had it since April '01. During that time it broke only once - DPFE sensor stopped working at about 20,000 miles and was fixed on warranty. (I noticed no problem driving with broken DPFE sensor. It is probably important only for some emissions stuff.) The only other visit to the dealer was for the seat buckle recall. With that record I would say that this is a very reliable car. Average gas mileage on a 6000+ mile trip from CA to MN and back was about 23MPG. I do maintenance on my own - engine oil, ATF, radiator fluid, brakes, filters. I think I will keep my Escape for a few more years. No real reason to upgrade.

Favorite Features

Strong V6 engine. Close to car-like handling. Roomy - not that much smaller than Explorer.

Suggested Improvements

ABS should be standard. Better sound insulation.

Problems
By buckeyebic

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With 47555 miles, the V6 4WD has lost the torque converter says the dealer. Also the sun roof quit working and the dealer quoted over $1600 to fix it because the factory sun roof is the only option available. The left front wheel bearing is gone and the front right idler arm needs replaced. Seems too soon for these types of failures for a SUV that has never been off road and used on the freeway mostly.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, ability in snow, stereo, and utility.

Suggested Improvements

Use a better 5 speed transmission to improve gas mileage and better parts or assembly methods. I got 19.6 mpg on the last 500 mile trip on the freeway 100%. It was with 3 people fully loaded