2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
My 2001 is so fun!
By Marci on 05/31/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape and haven't looked back. It has enough power for me (got the V6)and my husband. He also loves it. It only had 47,000 miles on it and talked the dealership down to a great deal (after 2 days!). We live in northern California and already drove it down to southern California and it drove like a dream (I would've liked a little better gas mileage though). It's perfect for someone going from a car to an SUV. It's not too big and yet has PLENTY of room. You also have a good seeing height. Recommend it. Love it!

My Escape
By JME on 04/21/05 13:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint I have about the Escapeis the cruise control button shape, it has a pointed edge and got caught on clothing and popped off several times; the last time I just gave up on fixing it!

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy on 11/24/04 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Great Value, Great Fun
By Anke2000 on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car! It is an SUV, but small, has tons of room inside, yet handles and feels more like a compact. Although it only has 4 cylinders, since it is a standard, I get incredible control and manouverablity. I like that I sit high enough to have a great view all around (enhanced by windows everywhere -> the blind spot is minimal), it is not so hight that I need to climb up into it. All around a really great deal for such a "small" package.

Starting to show its age/
By darcy98 on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've got 33K miles now and things are starting to go wrong. The driver's door is sticking, the car stalled at 45 mph and it's getting harder to start in cold weather. Overall it's a good vehicle, but I wouldn't get the V-4. Stick with the V-6 and don't pay more than $22,000.

MyEscape
By unhappyford on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought v6 in April 01, Paid the 1st visit to the service dept for a check engine light by Aug '01. This started a series of diff lights coming on at diff times and many visits to the dealership-(thank goodness for warranty).Each time I'd take it in and they'd fix a light of the month but no guar it would be "fixed". 27,0000 miles later and 10x to the dealership in 2 yrs was all I could handle. After it being in the shop 8, 9, 11 '03 I traded it in and got a Nissan. The less than reassuring attitude from the Service Dept and Ford left me no choice but to find a reliable means of transportation for my family.

Fantastic Truck
By Gator747 on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Terrific drive. Loved every minute of having the truck.

Time for a change!
By newlyweds on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape to replace another Ford vehicle that I had also purchased new from my dealership. The first few months were great...lots of compliments and a really smooth ride. However, I've needed to take the beast in countless times to rectify transmission problems particularly concerning the master cylinder. I was beginning to return to the dealership so often that many of the technicians and salespeople recognized me and knew me by first name alone. You know it's bad when that happens. Currently trying to dump our lease and get into a comparable vehicle with another company.

Excellent
By Tessy18 on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 4 cylinder but recommend the V-6. We were going to by a Stereo system when we bought the escape however it has really surprised us. The system is almost to much too hadle at half volume. Amazing! If you like a SUV but don't want to spend too much money this is great one to buy! You do get your money's worth!