2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Bad transmission
By Mark on 12/03/09 12:23 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So, bought one of these gently used from a friend, despite negative reviews. He had only put 68k miles on it after buying it new, and it was well maintained and clean. 2 months later, replaced the o2 sensor, and the transmission just went out. My wife loves the Escape, but the stories about the transmission are absolutely true.

Fun and Faithful
By Faithful and fun on 09/06/09 15:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years old with 47k miles on it. It now has 206k miles (!!!) and is still going strong. I use it to commute, for beach runs, and to haul stuff around, and it runs great. Over the years I've fixed the suspension and brakes a few times, and it ate a tranny at 90k, but otherwise it's been very reliable. It's fun to drive as well. I paid $15k for it and I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. Fuel economy isn't bad, by the way (23k highway). Front seats are more comfortable than in my wife's Mercedes (yes, believe it -- I have a bad back). Worst part of the experience was the selling dealer; I will never return there except to buy a car under invoice.

Not worth payments on vehicle
By jileik on 08/28/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this vehicle in 08/06 and fell in love with it i was trading in a Subaru Legacy AWD and wanted to keep the 4 Wheel drive without spending alot of money. I should have kept the subaru. From the time i got it things were happening, the front end was clunking, back end is severely cracked, transmission is gone, sealant around the doors comes off, doors are impossible to open, and only 2 out of the 6 cylinders work. While the interior is nice it is not worth the payments i am making, i am taking my chances on a FWD Toyota which is more reliable. I would not recommend this car unless you know a ford mechanic.

Would buy one again!
By David on 08/18/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Escape new. It was our first Ford and we have had a terrific experience. For me, it rides a little rough but hey! it's a SUV. We replaced the tires at 35,000; that seemed a little low for me. We have replaced the master cylinder, cruise control switch, ball joints, along with normal maintenance. It seems like normal stuff. We were rear-ended at 90,000 miles and, after $5000 in repairs it looked terrific again. No plans to replace. Definitely recommend the V6. great pick up.

Great SUV
By jessibarn on 07/22/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my Escape a week ago and I LOVE it! Luckily it was well taken care of so I've got no problems. Proz: Decent mpg for SUV, Looks sharp in/out, turns well, easy to manuever, and drives great. Cons: Sunroof slow to open now, set up of shifter, igniton, and windshield wipers is tricky. Needs rear air vents other than the floor. I moved from a Corolla and I feel safe and secure driving it. So far I am very happy.

Nice SUV
By Jim on 07/03/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with 60,000 miles a couple of years ago ... been a GREAT little SUV. Had a master cylinder replaced and new tires and that's it. Starts EVERY time and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. Good storage and rides pretty well for a smaller SUV. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Fun to Drive lots of small problems
By PeteNc on 04/21/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like the escape well designed easy to see good size good mpg. It is definitely noisy. My main complaint is numerous $300-$500 problems. The antitheft starter went out $500 plus took forever to figure it out, it would crank but not start then battery would die. Lock broke $300 and forever. Valves broke $600. A/c out $900 so definitely getting into repairs.

2 transmissions in 114k miles
By t collins on 04/21/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced transmission at 83k miles with rebuilt ford trans which went out at 114k miles. That was about 2 weeks ago and service writer says he is waiting to put it on a lift because they are all full. I have put approx. $15,000 into various repairs on this vehicle despite extended coverage nothing is ever under warranty.

Awesome
By Ben Prosser on 01/13/09 20:57 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this since the beginning, and it is awesome. Had to replace the clutch cable 3 times, but thats it. It now has 203,000 miles on it and still runs fine. I4 with 5 speed seems to be running good and strong. 4x4 works well, and it handles fine in the snow. This is the best car I have ever driven, and I hope that it keeps on going.

Good SUV
By Michelle M on 01/06/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape in 2003 with 8,000 mi on it. It's now 2009 with only 70,000 mi on it. I keep up great maintaince on it. I have made several minor repairs on it until recently. The spring broke in the gear shift, so you have to mess with the gear shift when you put in park so you can get the key out. I had to replace the IAC motor, new spark plugs, stabilizer bar and link. Replace a lifter and cam shaft. This was very expensive. I still like it though. I'm thinking on buying a new one. I just hope they have improved.