Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Awesome
By BC Prosser

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this escape since 2001 when it had 0 miles. It now has 235,000 and is still going. Never had any problems, original engine, transmission, clutch, and everything. New front struts/tie rods and brakes at 190k. Replaced the in-dash stereo, but left the speakers, they sound as good as the Bose speakers in our 2007 yukon denali. Vehicle drives great in all conditions, and still looks like new when it's clean. The Escape has never let me down, and i hope to rely on it for years to come.

Favorite Features

4x4, manual transmission, off and on road comfort/handling, gas mileage, overall build quality, comfortable seats, storage space, towing capability

Suggested Improvements

it's a bit plasticky on the inside, needs about an inch more of ground clearance

Tough little truck
By Cindy williams

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Right now I have 202,000 miles on my 2001 Escape. I bought it used a year ago. It is a 4 cylinder stick shift. Fuel mileage is pretty good, ride and handling are good, and reliability is great. Plenty of interior room and comfortable. Handles well in snow and driving around the farm. I bought it as a work vehicle and it has been great. The engine is what I like best. This is the first stick shift I have owned and learning has been very easy. The engine has plenty of power, to my surprise it can actually burn rubber quite easily! The only times I have had trouble in the snow are when it needed new tires and when I try to start up too hard the front tires spin, but it's fun.

Buy A Later Model If You Can...
By TheBraveOutside

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Really fun to drive. As it gets up in age, it shows that isn't ready for a long-term commitment. Difficulty keeping exterior free of rust. Nearly failed state inspection for it. Had it repaired 12/09, by 2/10 it shows signs of returning. Auto transmission isn't shot, but occasionally is prone to strange outbursts or improper shifting. Has been having brake issues... as it stands, I just went out to drive it and the brakes are non-existent and the "Brake" light is on. Master cylinder? Brake line (had one replaced in 7/09)? Time to call the mechanic -- just had a ball joint replaced 3 days ago. 158K on the odometer.

Favorite Features

I've gotten compliments on the roominess of the backseat. From regular passengers, of course. Up until 4000 miles ago, I didn't have to put ANY money into it having owned it for 3 years at that point. Although since last summer, I have spent about $1000 in repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Rust issue improved in later models with increased protection in the wheel wells. Door and trunk handles dislike opening. The car kind of acts like a poorly constructed prototype these days, so perhaps better quality parts would have been good.

Old and Still Running Great
By PoppyG

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001, first year model, new in 2001. It has been the best car I've ever owned. It has done every hauling and snow driving work ever asked of it w/o a problem. With 140,000 miles I still feel good enough about it to send my son to school in snow country with it. Keep up with regular oil changes and service and it will last a very long time. I am buying a 2010 Escape to replace it.

Favorite Features

The originals look better than the newer ones.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the older, sleeker, less bulky body style.

Great Ride!
By RobinM

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Escape. I will buy another one if this one gives out. I have had very little trouble. Take care of it and it will last. My only complant; can be tricky to work on. Have to remove air intake to replace spark plugs. Have to remove exhaust to replace oil pan gasket. Drive belt hard to get to with the side engine.

Favorite Features

Rides very good, roomey, looks great, holds all the things I need to transport.

Suggested Improvements

Put a light on the ignition slot. Hard to see at night to put the key in.