2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
park bench seats
By Dick Cahill on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had it 11 months and the seats are a little more comfortable then a park bench. The dome light switch should be on the dash. The trans seams like it is going out at 42000 miles shifts out of overdrive everytime you let off the gas at highway speeds.Very small inside for what I do. I am in sales and travel 4 states. I would trade back for my GMC Safari van in a heartbeat. The short wheelbase beats you up after you drive 300-400 miles in a day. The gas millage is okay but the tank is so small you stop for gas 2 or 3 times a day. Overall I would not buy it again!

2 Escapes - 2001, and now 2002
By DLV1 on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 2nd Escape - we had a 2001 2WD 6cyl XLT, and now have a 2002 4WD with leather, moonroof, all the options. Not sure if they made significant improvements from 2001 to 2002, or if it's the 2WD to 4WD but this newer one is much tighter, more solid, more enjoyable. Seems quieter too. This has been a great vehicle for a multitude of purposes, from family vacations to business appointments to hauling.

Great Little SUV
By eddie6505 on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned my XLT 4X4 for almost 1.5 years now and have been very impressed. No problems so far and I have 50,000kms. Have used it for some off roading and although it doesn't have a low range it still performed admirably. Would recomend to anyone!

Love My Escape.......
By rugger11 on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my esape as a birthday present to myself. Love how the vehicle handles. Great pick-up. Most SUVs are made for big people but this vehicle is comfortable for my small frame.

one year and let the worring begin
By m montes on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

likes:The Escape xlt 4wd 3.0 v6 is comfortable and extremely fast. a very powerful engine for off road riding. very spacious with the back seats down.. have use it for carring construction supplies. dislikes:after six months my first bad experience was the srs light turning on. the dealership fix it but a month later it was on again. now the srs lights turn on and off and if i take it to the dealer they take a day or two. lately i have been hearing a thumping noise in the front of the car on both sides of the tires. my fear is that the joints are damaged

A true winner
By scape2 on 03/16/02 13:51 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 2001 black XLT V6 4wd and its been great! Use it for skiiing, fishing, biking. Not one problem. performance is excellent.

Lemon:Transition at 16,000 miles!
By jj on 02/27/02 21:17 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The first time my 2001 Ford Escape XLT broke down, it was a result of the Serpentine belt falling out of my car due to a loose belt. The second time my Escape left me stranded onthe highway, was due to the V6 transmission. At 16,000 miles my car needed a new transmission. Ford Motor Company promised me an extended 100,000m/ 6 yr. powertrain warranty at no cost. I have yet to recieve the paperwork from Ford I now laugh at their "Committment and Quality" commercials.