2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Sporty & Fun, Can't Wait for the Hybrid
By oldhouse93 on 07/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had an absolute blast with this new mini-SUV. Power, cornering, roominess and it looks different on the road. My main problem with this vehical is the stiff unforgiving seats. You can't sit in them for more than about 100 miles before you have to get out and rest for an extended period. My rear was really hurting. It also took expressway pavement joints harshly, too much so for my liking. I can't wait for the hybrid fuel Escape to come out in late 2003.

Escape
By jmsamr on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

20,000 miles into Escape experience and overall I would recommend the Escape. If you are looking for luxury dont buy the Escape. The seats are very uncomfortable and the ride is a bit loud. The Escape feels very big and holds a lot more than one would think. The V6 is a definite must. With moderate driving mainly highway some city (chicago) we have averaged 21 mpg.

Great Truck!
By Cheesehauler on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I Ordered my Escape from the factory so I could get exactly what I wanted. I drive my Escape everyday, mostly city driving. I get between 18 and 22 mpg. Average since purchase: 18.62mpg because of mostly city driving. I use my Escape on Hunting so I do quite a bit of off roading. I live in Wisconsin and it is great in snow. The ride is nice with the leather and the payload is great for hauling cheese! I did alot of research before ordering my Escape and, at the time, I believe it was the best truck in its class.

Outstanding SUV
By brs on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We tested lots of the small SUV's and picked the Escape. Very glad we did. 30,000 miles so far and everything has been great. Highly recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Ford Escape XLT 4WD
By Tom C on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One of the cheapest built vehicles I've ever owned. The paint is so thin that even the slightest abrasion goes through to the primer. The leather seats with lumbar support are uncomfortable and awkward to adjust. You can change the feel from a fist in your back to a shoe in your back. No padding on door armrests. Floor mats are under-sized (look like they shrunk). Outside step bars are useless and just get your pant leg dirty. The factory trailer hitch requires that you get under the vehicle to make the electrical connection. My '89 Ford Explorer II XLT was much better. This will be my last Ford.

Great Value
By squeak on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At almost 15,000 miles my escape has performed wonderful. Love the v6 power and the handling. Great room and versatility also.

way underrated
By Suvin on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years.. flawless, real performer. New interior plastics/cloths would be nice but not entirely necessary

Just Love It
By FireEmerald on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have found this vehicle to be great to drive and ride in. It handles perfectly in the city, on the highway, and on rural roads. It is extremely comfortable even on coast to coast drives. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

Great SUV..Needs better Quality
By Faz on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the ride and look of the Escape and for the price it is hard to beat. Had some small bugs with the low coolant light and the radio. The biggest problem was that the transmission went at 10,000 miles. Since then things have been fine. But not sure I am keeping this car after the warranty expires.

Weird noises and smells
By runnerboy on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first the Escape was great. That only lasted about 2,000 miles. My wiper motor gave out on me coming down a mountain in a downpour, ended up a recall. Smelled gas with the air on, said the brand new air conditioning had bacteria and fungus growing in it, cleaned the cabin air filter, no smell, for a while. Noises in the front end, ended up being loose bolts in the steering, noise is back again. Low coolant light comes on, car out of warranty, Extended contract should cover, doesn't, waste of money, don't bother. Can't get road grime out of plastic underpinnings and the interior is looking really worn.