Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

first time buying used car
By schoolbus

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first time I decided to let the other person take the depreciation. I have owned this car for 14 months and its been great. It had come off a lease and was in prefect shape. I had the dealer throw in a 100k warranty but haven't used it yet. I did, however, use the factory warranty right away for 3 minor problems. The car is a little bumpy since it is a SUV but has a lot of pep (V6) and handles quite nice. I only use it for local driving and going to the mountains. My husband hates the chrome yellow color but I can always find it. I don't think I will ever buy new again.

Good visibility and easy to park. Lots of room front and back plus cargo. Fits nicely in garage and driveway. Fun to drive-very peppy.

Gas mileage is only about 15/mpg but at least it takes regular. I did expect better gas mileage. I little bumpy- would like a smoother ride. The shifter should be shortened. The passenger side can hit it when using the radio.

Great Value, Great Fun
By Anke2000

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car! It is an SUV, but small, has tons of room inside, yet handles and feels more like a compact. Although it only has 4 cylinders, since it is a standard, I get incredible control and manouverablity. I like that I sit high enough to have a great view all around (enhanced by windows everywhere -> the blind spot is minimal), it is not so hight that I need to climb up into it. All around a really great deal for such a "small" package.

High seats, lots of room, inside handles to pull down rear hatch (no dirt on your hands!), plus the window opens, too.

Rear window wiper could be bigger and better postitioned. It only clears a fraction of the window, plus a replacement is only available from Ford and very expensive (about$12!)!

Perfect SUV
By GGreenman

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV that has answered all of our calls. Gas mileage has been consistantly in the range of 19 to 22. Once we got rid of the OEM Firestones that came with the veheicle its been unstoppable in snow. We bought the Escape new and other than a couple of factory recalls we have had "0" problems, we would not hesitate in purchasing another Ford Escape.

4WD, Moonroof,gas mileage.

Softer arm rests.

la review
By James Moylan

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Some power could be sacrificed for better gas mileage. Nice ride and interior layout.

Roof rack works well with an aftermarket cargo carrier.

Make it easier to fold down back seat.

My car
By IcePrincess

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think this vehicle is great. I have to drive 200 miles 2 days per week and since its mainly freeway, I can go the 200 miles on 1/2 tank of gas.

6 cd changer