Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Fun Car
By Pat Luegger

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape to replace an aging TransSport because I needed 4WD & also wanted a smaller vehicle. It has been a fun car to drive but I have had a number of mechanical problems including the car stalling for no apparent reason, the coolant sign coming on for no apparent reason plus today, I had to have the vapor MGM valve replaced. (I only have 41000 miles on my car.)

Favorite Features

Good view with minimal blind spots.Good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted key access(as in where you start the engine) as it's very hard to find at night. Trim(rubber) along doors as people seem to like to scrape along the side of my car!!

Love the Escape but not the engine
By Debidoodl

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 Escape XLT. It has a sunroof, 6 cd changer, great speakers, good speed. Only, at 50,000 miles, I've already had to replace the master cylinder, power brake booster, brakes, and have 2 recalls fixed. Now, my engine light is on for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. How can I be attached to a car that is making me question why I bought domestic? I've owned a Honda and Toyota, loved both of them, particularly the lack of maintenance issues. I'm struggling with whether or not to replace this car, before I finish paying it off! I'm just concerned about future issues if it's had so many at 50,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Drive, speed, cd changer and speakers. it's just plain fun!

Suggested Improvements

A different engine and parts under the hood. Brake dust is bad, too.

first time buying used car
By schoolbus

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first time I decided to let the other person take the depreciation. I have owned this car for 14 months and its been great. It had come off a lease and was in prefect shape. I had the dealer throw in a 100k warranty but haven't used it yet. I did, however, use the factory warranty right away for 3 minor problems. The car is a little bumpy since it is a SUV but has a lot of pep (V6) and handles quite nice. I only use it for local driving and going to the mountains. My husband hates the chrome yellow color but I can always find it. I don't think I will ever buy new again.

Favorite Features

Good visibility and easy to park. Lots of room front and back plus cargo. Fits nicely in garage and driveway. Fun to drive-very peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is only about 15/mpg but at least it takes regular. I did expect better gas mileage. I little bumpy- would like a smoother ride. The shifter should be shortened. The passenger side can hit it when using the radio.

Perfect SUV
By GGreenman

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV that has answered all of our calls. Gas mileage has been consistantly in the range of 19 to 22. Once we got rid of the OEM Firestones that came with the veheicle its been unstoppable in snow. We bought the Escape new and other than a couple of factory recalls we have had "0" problems, we would not hesitate in purchasing another Ford Escape.

Favorite Features

4WD, Moonroof,gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Softer arm rests.

Great Value, Great Fun
By Anke2000

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car! It is an SUV, but small, has tons of room inside, yet handles and feels more like a compact. Although it only has 4 cylinders, since it is a standard, I get incredible control and manouverablity. I like that I sit high enough to have a great view all around (enhanced by windows everywhere -> the blind spot is minimal), it is not so hight that I need to climb up into it. All around a really great deal for such a "small" package.

Favorite Features

High seats, lots of room, inside handles to pull down rear hatch (no dirt on your hands!), plus the window opens, too.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window wiper could be bigger and better postitioned. It only clears a fraction of the window, plus a replacement is only available from Ford and very expensive (about$12!)!