Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Favorite Features

Color (yellow). Awesome cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality seats in the xls.

Best of Breed
By Escapist

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There's not much that I don't like about my Escape. It has plenty of power for my (admittedly basic) needs, while providing an overall smooth and comfortable ride. It does great in the snow, hauls butt up Snoqualmie pass with four adults, boots, gear, and lunch in back and skis on top. I love the exterior look, 16 inch wheels are the best. Beats the snot out of the Jeep Liberty for way less $$; smaller than a Cherokee or Explorer and I like it that way. Has an annoying creak (not crack) in the rear window; haven't been able to find the source.

Favorite Features

I like the four wheel drive, though I don't get to use it often enough! Has power to burn, even with just a 3.0L V6. The Mach sound system with subwoofer is GREAT. Drives smoothly and handles like a dream. Thinks like a big SUV but parks like a compact.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a little nicer overhead console or in-dash display with outside temp, miles to empty, compass, etc. like my Windstar has (wife always wants to know the outside temp!)

Then and Now
By siya46

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Delivered 11/01, 87000 miles now. It was a perfect downsize from an Explorer and the 2xfwd is just fine for Michigan winters. Have kept up with recalls. No maintenance problems other than replacing 1 front stabilizer bar (it was "thunking" on bumps. Plan to run it 2-3 more years.

Favorite Features

Power!! (V-6), style & looks, handling. Decent mileage at 75 mph x- way cruising (22-23).

Suggested Improvements

Better quality ($) interior trim. Maybe the '04 Limited has it. Really miss the compass/OAT gauge. A NOAA weather radio would be neat addition to the cluster.

Great smaller SUV
By Average Joe2

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV overall. Had no problems through 3+ years of ownership. Has great pickup speed and better fuel efficiency than many SUV's. Comfortable ride and fun/sporty to drive. 4x4 is just as good if not better than my previous full size SUV.

Favorite Features

Sharp instrument dials. Great pickup speed. Comfortable seating for 5.

Suggested Improvements

none

Fun Car
By Pat Luegger

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape to replace an aging TransSport because I needed 4WD & also wanted a smaller vehicle. It has been a fun car to drive but I have had a number of mechanical problems including the car stalling for no apparent reason, the coolant sign coming on for no apparent reason plus today, I had to have the vapor MGM valve replaced. (I only have 41000 miles on my car.)

Favorite Features

Good view with minimal blind spots.Good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Lighted key access(as in where you start the engine) as it's very hard to find at night. Trim(rubber) along doors as people seem to like to scrape along the side of my car!!