Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

You can really feel the power of 201hp. I have FIVE cup-holders (you can never have enough). The spedometer has black text on a white background. It doesn't sound great, but see it for yourself. TONS of space. The factory stereo is excellent.

ABS didn't come standard. NEVER make a vehicle that has a cab collapse on a 40mph front impact. A transmission can last the life of the vehicle. Mine lasted for 46K miles. Seatbelt receptacles should never "fail in the event of an accident." 5 recalls is a bit much.

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Color (yellow). Awesome cargo space.

Better quality seats in the xls.

My First SUV
By EscapeKid

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it! It's so car-like and so versatile! It is also great in the snow and ice!

Best of Breed
By Escapist

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There's not much that I don't like about my Escape. It has plenty of power for my (admittedly basic) needs, while providing an overall smooth and comfortable ride. It does great in the snow, hauls butt up Snoqualmie pass with four adults, boots, gear, and lunch in back and skis on top. I love the exterior look, 16 inch wheels are the best. Beats the snot out of the Jeep Liberty for way less $$; smaller than a Cherokee or Explorer and I like it that way. Has an annoying creak (not crack) in the rear window; haven't been able to find the source.

I like the four wheel drive, though I don't get to use it often enough! Has power to burn, even with just a 3.0L V6. The Mach sound system with subwoofer is GREAT. Drives smoothly and handles like a dream. Thinks like a big SUV but parks like a compact.

I'd like a little nicer overhead console or in-dash display with outside temp, miles to empty, compass, etc. like my Windstar has (wife always wants to know the outside temp!)

Then and Now
By siya46

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Delivered 11/01, 87000 miles now. It was a perfect downsize from an Explorer and the 2xfwd is just fine for Michigan winters. Have kept up with recalls. No maintenance problems other than replacing 1 front stabilizer bar (it was "thunking" on bumps. Plan to run it 2-3 more years.

Power!! (V-6), style & looks, handling. Decent mileage at 75 mph x- way cruising (22-23).

Better quality ($) interior trim. Maybe the '04 Limited has it. Really miss the compass/OAT gauge. A NOAA weather radio would be neat addition to the cluster.