2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Very good car for the money
By doorg_reater on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven 25500 miles in my Escape. I have FWD version, so it is not that great on snow, but is still good on gravel and forest roads when it is dry. Overall, I like this this car, especially the strong engine and good handling. (I have driven Hyundai Santa Fe, and Escape handles much better than Hyundai.) I got the cheap XLS version so the interior is pretty basic, but still OK. The only problem so far was failed DPFE sensor at 19k miles.

1 year review
By Taybjay on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok the gas mileage stinks. My buddies Ford Excursion Diesel gets better. The seats are rock bottom hard. (metal folding chair hard!) The wiper stalk always gets in the way when you shift gears in the automatic. And the throttle response is very rammy. But who's complaining! The steering tracks in a BMW fashion. There's room in this small ute. The 4x4 tracks well in snowy conditions.

best car i ever had until today
By myszia on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i LOVE my escape. it's the ideal car for us, and has never given us a problem unlike our last car, a 2000 volkswagon beetle which was a complete lemon. everything was great until today, when at 37,000 miles our brake light went on and lo and behold we find out the master cylinder is dead....$600 in repair bills later i'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem so early in the life of their escape?

Great Auto
By Scottss80 on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a 95 4runner with a 150hp to the Escape was quiet a nice surprise! The acceleration of the Escape is 2nd to none, in it class and price range, handles great, great brakes, and I'm getting 21 mpg in the city.The Mach stereo is the best I've ever had from a factory radio. The only complaints I had was when I purchase it (used), it had a lot of squeaks inside, especially the console top, back door, and some squeaks in the door panels. But I had fixed all of them myself in about 2 days, I guess the problem stems from all the hard plastics that Ford uses. Now that I've taken care of those issues, It's one darn fun auto to drive!!!

Good SUV if you like maintenance
By rickranjer on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like this SUV's style, pick-up and interior. Honestly though, I do not like the fact that I have had to take it in three times for a throttle body replacement, one time for a manifold exhaust leak, two times for rusty bolts on the door, one time for a loose gear shifter and one time for my coolant leak. I have around 23,000 miles on this vehicle, which is quite a few after a year and a half, but with these problems, I wouldn't recommend this vehicle out of it's warranty period.

Awesome, But Defective
By Don C on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's FAST! It beats most cars, never mind SUVs. The factory 6 CD stereo's almost perfect! I love the aggressive styling, spacious interior and high seat height. However, next time I'm buying a Toyota or Honda. The CRV and Rav4 are under-powered. The Rav4 is too small. The Highlander and Pilot are too big and cost too much. Unfortunately, my Escape spent over three weeks at the dealer for repairs the first year. The front axles were dangerously defective, damaging the front tires. There was a rattle in the hatch that took three visits to cure. The hood release cable snapped and... you get the idea.

It keeps getting better
By on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Escape I was very impressed with the performance of the V6 engine. I while back I used to have a Mustang GT and the Escape is as much fun to drive plus gives me all the room I needed for a family of 5. After having it for a year I decided to make it even more fun. I added an S&B free flow air cleaner and a Superchips performace chip. Now the thing flies. You have to ease off the gas to keep the tires from spinning. I plan to add a Borla exhaust next. It is extremely light for an SUV and has more than enough power for most people. If you are considering getting the Escape I would definitely recommend it.

Nice SUV for the price, easy handling
By B Mills on 10/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this vehicle used, and it had about 30,000 miles on it after 18 months of usage by the previous owner. So far we have been very pleased with the performance and handling. My 16 year old daughter is driving it, and she has great visibility, and can park it and manuever it easily. So far no quality problems, just a few minor rattles from the back door. The engine is quiet and has plenty of power.

Great Mini-SUV
By jaimbe on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 01 Ford Escape. It is the best vehicle that I have invested in. No problems to report.

GREAT SUV FOR THE MONEY
By GEORGIADRIVER on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

WONDERFUL SUV WITH MANY FEATURES. RIDES,HANDLES AND CRUISES WELL. GOOD PICKUP WITH V6 ENGINE. RECOMMEND IT FOR ANY ONE LOOKING FOR A COMPACT SUV AT A GREAT PROCE.