Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

01 XLT
By howiez5150

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned an xlt 4X4 for 4 yrs and just turned it in on lease. It was my wife's car and it was the first car she has owned and like for over 2 years. We had it in shop a couple of times for minor issues, although it was making a weird transmission noise when we turned it in. Overall, very nice to drive and decent mpg considering it is a SUV. Definitely get the XLT version for a nicer interior design and stay away from 4 cylinder (it has no power). The v6 takes off and has lots of jump at any speed. We would highly recommend over other SUV in its class.

Small SUV, cool looks, aggressive drive compared to its competition.

Road noise is a bit much.

Disappointed
By Tonyyy

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Check engine light keeps coming on for problem after problem. Most recently, at 51k, engine misfire. Had to replace ignition coil, ignitor - that didn't work. Ended up at dealer service ripping apart the whole engine to replace a bad valve - big expense. Big disappointment. CD player gets CD's stuck all the time, luggage rack needed repainted after only 10K, powered seats not working properly, really not enough head room for me at 6'4". Nice looking vehicle, but I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

Looks.

No wonder it wasn't too expensive - I'm paying for it now!

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

You can really feel the power of 201hp. I have FIVE cup-holders (you can never have enough). The spedometer has black text on a white background. It doesn't sound great, but see it for yourself. TONS of space. The factory stereo is excellent.

ABS didn't come standard. NEVER make a vehicle that has a cab collapse on a 40mph front impact. A transmission can last the life of the vehicle. Mine lasted for 46K miles. Seatbelt receptacles should never "fail in the event of an accident." 5 recalls is a bit much.

My First SUV
By EscapeKid

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it! It's so car-like and so versatile! It is also great in the snow and ice!

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Color (yellow). Awesome cargo space.

Better quality seats in the xls.

• SUV