Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Pretty good little SUV!
By craiginCT

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VERY GLAD I got extended warranty: hydraulic clutch master cylinder went at 42,000 miles, tranny/shift cable got sloppy and replaced at 48,000, EGR valve at 50,000. BUT, those are the ONLY problems I've had on this little gem! Gas mileage: best = 29mpg on last long highway trip averaging 65mph; worst = 18mpg in 4WD in messy snow storm with the defroster blasting. I'm 6'1", 190lbs. Drivers seat and legroom very good for most trips. STILL very impressed with handling! 50k miles and never needed alignment. Could be a tad quieter on road, but can't complain given its overall utility. Good range on gears, though I keep wanting 6th gear; the 2.0L could have handled it on the highway and given even better gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Driver bucket seat comfy. Lots of leg/head room front/rear for a small SUV. HANDLES GREAT! Good on gas! Relatively free of repairs for the 50k miles I've had it. Fairly decent console and cubby holes. ABS brakes are great! Like the plastic rocker splash guard width. Nice looks. Good roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

A quieter ride would be nice, because current highway road noise is high. Add 3 to 5 gallons to gas tank for longer trips. Keep present lower 5 gears, but add 6th gear to manual tranny for quieter, more economical highway cruising.

Great looks, value; crummy reliability
By SoCal commuter

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new; 29,000 miles now. Have replaced SINCE WARRANTY ran out at 27,900: 2 power steering pumps, steering column, brakes at 26k, tensioner unit, tires, power brake assist motor, power steering hose, air filter unit, and 2 other engine repairs that details escape me now but each ran more than $200 in parts. Also, there is something in the engine manifold which cannot be fixed but is a "known issue" - there's a TSB on it - high-pitched squealing from manifold, Under warranty, about 5 breakdowns/year first three years. Always something new. I'm going back to Toyota or Honda. This is the worst build quality I could imagine.

Favorite Features

Driver's seat comfort and lumbar support, good visibility, nice handling.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical needed overhaul. Great interior/exterior design, crummy quality and mechanical.

01 XLT
By howiez5150

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned an xlt 4X4 for 4 yrs and just turned it in on lease. It was my wife's car and it was the first car she has owned and like for over 2 years. We had it in shop a couple of times for minor issues, although it was making a weird transmission noise when we turned it in. Overall, very nice to drive and decent mpg considering it is a SUV. Definitely get the XLT version for a nicer interior design and stay away from 4 cylinder (it has no power). The v6 takes off and has lots of jump at any speed. We would highly recommend over other SUV in its class.

Favorite Features

Small SUV, cool looks, aggressive drive compared to its competition.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is a bit much.

Disappointed
By Tonyyy

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Check engine light keeps coming on for problem after problem. Most recently, at 51k, engine misfire. Had to replace ignition coil, ignitor - that didn't work. Ended up at dealer service ripping apart the whole engine to replace a bad valve - big expense. Big disappointment. CD player gets CD's stuck all the time, luggage rack needed repainted after only 10K, powered seats not working properly, really not enough head room for me at 6'4". Nice looking vehicle, but I'll be looking elsewhere next time.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

No wonder it wasn't too expensive - I'm paying for it now!

The Escape Means Well
By djphilosophy

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have treated this SUV with loving care & maintenance. It has all the fun things people want in an SUV, including space & performance. Unfortunately, the transmission died at 46K miles, has had 5 recalls (one involving the seatbelt receptacle!), & the local Ford dealership has been horrendous with service. I don't know who to complain to, but I know I will never buy Ford vehicles again! And the Escape had so much going for it. American automakers seem to give only a 60% effort into making a great car. Their cars come out half-baked! They look great on the outside, but all fragile on the inside.

Favorite Features

You can really feel the power of 201hp. I have FIVE cup-holders (you can never have enough). The spedometer has black text on a white background. It doesn't sound great, but see it for yourself. TONS of space. The factory stereo is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

ABS didn't come standard. NEVER make a vehicle that has a cab collapse on a 40mph front impact. A transmission can last the life of the vehicle. Mine lasted for 46K miles. Seatbelt receptacles should never "fail in the event of an accident." 5 recalls is a bit much.