Used 2001 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good only under warranty
By Rick

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my fully loaded Escape new in January 2001 and though well maintained I have had nothing but problems since the warranty expired. Repairs: washer fluid sensor, stereo display, master cylinder, cv boots, cruise control, rear hatch lock, air conditioner. Interior trim pieces fall off faster than the mechanic can put them back on. The leather trim on the door panels is peeling off. Air conditioning sprang a leak at 38K miles and is leaking again for the third time. Various problems cause check engine light to come on intermittently. By far the WORST vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Style, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Quality, better warranty

Good for a few years
By Matt

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car the first year it was introduced and really enjoyed it for the first 85,000 miles. Eventually several small things started happening; radio sounds fine but the display hasn't worked in 18 months. Interior front door fabric material has come unglued on driver and passenger's side. Factory installed tinting on driver's side window has bubbled. Have spent a couple hundred dollars 2-3 times in the last 6 months for engine related issues, and still the engine light comes on intermittently. In general I've enjoyed the car, but it's not built to last - at least the first year edition's not.

Favorite Features

Agile & responsive. Drives like a car ans is very nimble. Gas mileage is relatively good. Affordable and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability & build quality.

Fun and Faithful
By Faithful and fun

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years old with 47k miles on it. It now has 206k miles (!!!) and is still going strong. I use it to commute, for beach runs, and to haul stuff around, and it runs great. Over the years I've fixed the suspension and brakes a few times, and it ate a tranny at 90k, but otherwise it's been very reliable. It's fun to drive as well. I paid $15k for it and I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. Fuel economy isn't bad, by the way (23k highway). Front seats are more comfortable than in my wife's Mercedes (yes, believe it -- I have a bad back). Worst part of the experience was the selling dealer; I will never return there except to buy a car under invoice.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, seats, storage, versatility

Suggested Improvements

Fuel tank needs to be bigger. Brakes & suspension seem to be undersized. A little more soundproofing would be nice. Multi-CD player is prone to jamming (with my favorite CDs stuck in it)

Would buy one again!
By David

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Escape new. It was our first Ford and we have had a terrific experience. For me, it rides a little rough but hey! it's a SUV. We replaced the tires at 35,000; that seemed a little low for me. We have replaced the master cylinder, cruise control switch, ball joints, along with normal maintenance. It seems like normal stuff. We were rear-ended at 90,000 miles and, after $5000 in repairs it looked terrific again. No plans to replace. Definitely recommend the V6. great pick up.

Favorite Features

The V6 pick up. It flies.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing.

Nice SUV
By Jim

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with 60,000 miles a couple of years ago ... been a GREAT little SUV. Had a master cylinder replaced and new tires and that's it. Starts EVERY time and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. Good storage and rides pretty well for a smaller SUV. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Drives great - reliable and plenty of storage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little on the cheap side ... and wish I got a tad better gas mileage ... guess we all do.