2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Killer Hotboxer
By nick152 on 05/29/14 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent car that gets you from A to B. There are better options in the same price range but this car is fine. Great car to light it up in.

If I had only known
By transyamber on 08/29/11 11:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I had know that when I bought my 2001 Escape used in 2006 that the transmissions were so bad. I had to have the transmission rebuilt last year and am still paying for it. The bad part is it left me sitting beside the road last week. These are horrible transmissions to get worked on. Then they just break again. After $2000 and a complete rebuild the transmission died before there was 4000 miles on it! I do like it when it's working right.

Fun to drive! But not exactly the best built
By candybandy on 04/03/11 13:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive our fun Escape! I love it sooo much! The problem is, it hasnt even reached 150K and it's already causing more problems more than it's worth. Around 70k one of the back door locks broke, and ever since then it's been a downhill of brakes, tires, lights going out, fan belts, you name it. Right now our transmission is going out and I'm very sad. It's parts act like it's well over 200k but it looks almost brand new! I love the smooth ride of this and the quick turns it does. It's a great small SUV. Since this is a first year, I think if you bought a later model you would be better because they probably would have all the kinks out.

Good only under warranty
By Rick on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my fully loaded Escape new in January 2001 and though well maintained I have had nothing but problems since the warranty expired. Repairs: washer fluid sensor, stereo display, master cylinder, cv boots, cruise control, rear hatch lock, air conditioner. Interior trim pieces fall off faster than the mechanic can put them back on. The leather trim on the door panels is peeling off. Air conditioning sprang a leak at 38K miles and is leaking again for the third time. Various problems cause check engine light to come on intermittently. By far the WORST vehicle I have ever owned.

Awesome
By BC Prosser on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this escape since 2001 when it had 0 miles. It now has 235,000 and is still going. Never had any problems, original engine, transmission, clutch, and everything. New front struts/tie rods and brakes at 190k. Replaced the in-dash stereo, but left the speakers, they sound as good as the Bose speakers in our 2007 yukon denali. Vehicle drives great in all conditions, and still looks like new when it's clean. The Escape has never let me down, and i hope to rely on it for years to come.

Tough little truck
By Cindy williams on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Right now I have 202,000 miles on my 2001 Escape. I bought it used a year ago. It is a 4 cylinder stick shift. Fuel mileage is pretty good, ride and handling are good, and reliability is great. Plenty of interior room and comfortable. Handles well in snow and driving around the farm. I bought it as a work vehicle and it has been great. The engine is what I like best. This is the first stick shift I have owned and learning has been very easy. The engine has plenty of power, to my surprise it can actually burn rubber quite easily! The only times I have had trouble in the snow are when it needed new tires and when I try to start up too hard the front tires spin, but it's fun.

Buy A Later Model If You Can...
By TheBraveOutside on 02/09/10 19:11 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Really fun to drive. As it gets up in age, it shows that isn't ready for a long-term commitment. Difficulty keeping exterior free of rust. Nearly failed state inspection for it. Had it repaired 12/09, by 2/10 it shows signs of returning. Auto transmission isn't shot, but occasionally is prone to strange outbursts or improper shifting. Has been having brake issues... as it stands, I just went out to drive it and the brakes are non-existent and the "Brake" light is on. Master cylinder? Brake line (had one replaced in 7/09)? Time to call the mechanic -- just had a ball joint replaced 3 days ago. 158K on the odometer.

Old and Still Running Great
By PoppyG on 02/03/10 10:17 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001, first year model, new in 2001. It has been the best car I've ever owned. It has done every hauling and snow driving work ever asked of it w/o a problem. With 140,000 miles I still feel good enough about it to send my son to school in snow country with it. Keep up with regular oil changes and service and it will last a very long time. I am buying a 2010 Escape to replace it.

Great Ride!
By RobinM on 01/23/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Escape. I will buy another one if this one gives out. I have had very little trouble. Take care of it and it will last. My only complant; can be tricky to work on. Have to remove air intake to replace spark plugs. Have to remove exhaust to replace oil pan gasket. Drive belt hard to get to with the side engine.

Good for a few years
By Matt on 12/14/09 22:25 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car the first year it was introduced and really enjoyed it for the first 85,000 miles. Eventually several small things started happening; radio sounds fine but the display hasn't worked in 18 months. Interior front door fabric material has come unglued on driver and passenger's side. Factory installed tinting on driver's side window has bubbled. Have spent a couple hundred dollars 2-3 times in the last 6 months for engine related issues, and still the engine light comes on intermittently. In general I've enjoyed the car, but it's not built to last - at least the first year edition's not.