Used 2001 Ford Escape XLT Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Have always wanted an Escape, but now I have one..
By Ashley

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a Ford Escape! I wanted one because its the perfect size for me(I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 110 lb.) and it looks great. I got my 2001 Escape 7 months ago with 135k on it. I am the third owner. I have the V6 version with 4WD and I love the power it brings to vehicle! I am proud to own my Escape, but there are a few things I would like to mention. First we will start with the interior. The paneling on the front doors are both peeling of, and I have seen this in many other 2001 Escapes as well. Also, the interior is very cheap feeling on the dash. My Escape has leather interior and the leather is great, but the plastic just ins't. Another thing I am disappointed with is the backlight behind the odometer. The light blew out and its very labor intensive to replace. Moving to the exterior, the paint on the 01 models isn't very scratch resistant, but thats just a minor thing. Next lets talk about any mechanical problems I've had. My engine light came on and I had to replace a spark plug at 150k, but thats routine work for any car. When replacing the spark plugs, I also had to replace a coil pack. The mechanic said that two of the other coil packs had been replaced by the previous owner. When working on the coils packs, the mechanic also replaced something for the exhaust. Now I am currently having another problem. My oil light keeps flickering on when I'm idling or coasting. I have replaced the oil every 4k so I was unsure what it was. I've researched it and I found that many 01 Escapes' oil pressure sensor goes bad after years on the road. I'm scared to take it in though because I'm scared that it won't be the sensor. Despite these few problems I've had with this car, I am still in love with it! I think my favorite thing about this car is how it's 4WD preforms in the snow. This car is amazing in the snow. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is interested. I plan to upgrade to the 2013 SE Escape in the next year just for better quality and reliability reasons.

217k and still going
By JCR

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

3.0 V6 XLT. Bought it new with leather and towing pkg. Has 3500 lbs towing capacity which was best in class then. Still getting 20 mpg city and 25-27 mpg hwy. Great suv even by today's standards. Heard some horror stories with the transmissions on this vehicles; I serviced my transmission every 50k no problem!

If I had only known
By transyamber

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I had know that when I bought my 2001 Escape used in 2006 that the transmissions were so bad. I had to have the transmission rebuilt last year and am still paying for it. The bad part is it left me sitting beside the road last week. These are horrible transmissions to get worked on. Then they just break again. After $2000 and a complete rebuild the transmission died before there was 4000 miles on it! I do like it when it's working right.

Build a transmission for it that's easier and cheaper to get worked on!!!!!

Fun to drive! But not exactly the best built
By candybandy

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive our fun Escape! I love it sooo much! The problem is, it hasnt even reached 150K and it's already causing more problems more than it's worth. Around 70k one of the back door locks broke, and ever since then it's been a downhill of brakes, tires, lights going out, fan belts, you name it. Right now our transmission is going out and I'm very sad. It's parts act like it's well over 200k but it looks almost brand new! I love the smooth ride of this and the quick turns it does. It's a great small SUV. Since this is a first year, I think if you bought a later model you would be better because they probably would have all the kinks out.

Sound is AMAZING, good hatchback trunk area

Higher tilt on the wheel. I'm 6' and it's pretty low.

Old and Still Running Great
By PoppyG

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001, first year model, new in 2001. It has been the best car I've ever owned. It has done every hauling and snow driving work ever asked of it w/o a problem. With 140,000 miles I still feel good enough about it to send my son to school in snow country with it. Keep up with regular oil changes and service and it will last a very long time. I am buying a 2010 Escape to replace it.

The originals look better than the newer ones.

Go back to the older, sleeker, less bulky body style.