2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
If I had only known
By transyamber on 08/29/11 11:33 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I had know that when I bought my 2001 Escape used in 2006 that the transmissions were so bad. I had to have the transmission rebuilt last year and am still paying for it. The bad part is it left me sitting beside the road last week. These are horrible transmissions to get worked on. Then they just break again. After $2000 and a complete rebuild the transmission died before there was 4000 miles on it! I do like it when it's working right.

Fun to drive! But not exactly the best built
By candybandy on 04/03/11 13:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive our fun Escape! I love it sooo much! The problem is, it hasnt even reached 150K and it's already causing more problems more than it's worth. Around 70k one of the back door locks broke, and ever since then it's been a downhill of brakes, tires, lights going out, fan belts, you name it. Right now our transmission is going out and I'm very sad. It's parts act like it's well over 200k but it looks almost brand new! I love the smooth ride of this and the quick turns it does. It's a great small SUV. Since this is a first year, I think if you bought a later model you would be better because they probably would have all the kinks out.

Old and Still Running Great
By PoppyG on 02/03/10 10:17 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001, first year model, new in 2001. It has been the best car I've ever owned. It has done every hauling and snow driving work ever asked of it w/o a problem. With 140,000 miles I still feel good enough about it to send my son to school in snow country with it. Keep up with regular oil changes and service and it will last a very long time. I am buying a 2010 Escape to replace it.

Bad transmission
By Mark on 12/03/09 12:23 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So, bought one of these gently used from a friend, despite negative reviews. He had only put 68k miles on it after buying it new, and it was well maintained and clean. 2 months later, replaced the o2 sensor, and the transmission just went out. My wife loves the Escape, but the stories about the transmission are absolutely true.

Not worth payments on vehicle
By jileik on 08/28/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this vehicle in 08/06 and fell in love with it i was trading in a Subaru Legacy AWD and wanted to keep the 4 Wheel drive without spending alot of money. I should have kept the subaru. From the time i got it things were happening, the front end was clunking, back end is severely cracked, transmission is gone, sealant around the doors comes off, doors are impossible to open, and only 2 out of the 6 cylinders work. While the interior is nice it is not worth the payments i am making, i am taking my chances on a FWD Toyota which is more reliable. I would not recommend this car unless you know a ford mechanic.

Great SUV
By jessibarn on 07/22/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought my Escape a week ago and I LOVE it! Luckily it was well taken care of so I've got no problems. Proz: Decent mpg for SUV, Looks sharp in/out, turns well, easy to manuever, and drives great. Cons: Sunroof slow to open now, set up of shifter, igniton, and windshield wipers is tricky. Needs rear air vents other than the floor. I moved from a Corolla and I feel safe and secure driving it. So far I am very happy.

2 transmissions in 114k miles
By t collins on 04/21/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced transmission at 83k miles with rebuilt ford trans which went out at 114k miles. That was about 2 weeks ago and service writer says he is waiting to put it on a lift because they are all full. I have put approx. $15,000 into various repairs on this vehicle despite extended coverage nothing is ever under warranty.

Good SUV
By Michelle M on 01/06/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Escape in 2003 with 8,000 mi on it. It's now 2009 with only 70,000 mi on it. I keep up great maintaince on it. I have made several minor repairs on it until recently. The spring broke in the gear shift, so you have to mess with the gear shift when you put in park so you can get the key out. I had to replace the IAC motor, new spark plugs, stabilizer bar and link. Replace a lifter and cam shaft. This was very expensive. I still like it though. I'm thinking on buying a new one. I just hope they have improved.

Fun, Reliable, Versatile, Great on Gas
By Geoff on 12/02/08 01:15 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Excellent sound system, huge sunroof, very versatile. Great on gas for an SUV with 4x4 and V6 engine. On a long trip with the A/C on I averaged 24-25MPG! With the A/C I got 28MPG! The engine is very powerful making passing or merging effortless. Handles great in the snow. Never have I felt out of control, all handling is predictable. Very fun to drive! You will not regret purchasing an Escape!

Not what I signed up for
By SMIverson on 11/20/08 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car recently because it looked good - inside and out - and thought it would make for a reliable second car. Not hardly, and I only have myself to blame, because I didn't have it inspected before handing over my money. The vehicle leaks oil and the transmission is definitely on its way out. The fog lights didn't work when I took delivery and all four tires leak like it's the middle of January! Truth be told, I probably just got a bad one because I did read good things about this vehicle prior to my purchase decision. It doesn't ease my trepidation, but suffice it to say I won't be keeping this car long; someone else can foot the bill to keep it running.