2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
A get around town car. Not one for a long journey.
By ilovedodge on 10/07/14 17:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Escape is a great car for getting around town its not great for going over 50 miles in one way. Maybe if your under 6 foot tall this car would be more comfortable, but for me, its not. Seat are kind of hard and don't provide much support. The front wheel drive makes it hard to handle. And its a bitch to control on windy days. The body is too narrow in comparison with its height.

Good only under warranty
By Rick on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my fully loaded Escape new in January 2001 and though well maintained I have had nothing but problems since the warranty expired. Repairs: washer fluid sensor, stereo display, master cylinder, cv boots, cruise control, rear hatch lock, air conditioner. Interior trim pieces fall off faster than the mechanic can put them back on. The leather trim on the door panels is peeling off. Air conditioning sprang a leak at 38K miles and is leaking again for the third time. Various problems cause check engine light to come on intermittently. By far the WORST vehicle I have ever owned.

Good for a few years
By Matt on 12/14/09 22:25 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car the first year it was introduced and really enjoyed it for the first 85,000 miles. Eventually several small things started happening; radio sounds fine but the display hasn't worked in 18 months. Interior front door fabric material has come unglued on driver and passenger's side. Factory installed tinting on driver's side window has bubbled. Have spent a couple hundred dollars 2-3 times in the last 6 months for engine related issues, and still the engine light comes on intermittently. In general I've enjoyed the car, but it's not built to last - at least the first year edition's not.

Fun and Faithful
By Faithful and fun on 09/06/09 15:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it 3 years old with 47k miles on it. It now has 206k miles (!!!) and is still going strong. I use it to commute, for beach runs, and to haul stuff around, and it runs great. Over the years I've fixed the suspension and brakes a few times, and it ate a tranny at 90k, but otherwise it's been very reliable. It's fun to drive as well. I paid $15k for it and I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. Fuel economy isn't bad, by the way (23k highway). Front seats are more comfortable than in my wife's Mercedes (yes, believe it -- I have a bad back). Worst part of the experience was the selling dealer; I will never return there except to buy a car under invoice.

Would buy one again!
By David on 08/18/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased the Escape new. It was our first Ford and we have had a terrific experience. For me, it rides a little rough but hey! it's a SUV. We replaced the tires at 35,000; that seemed a little low for me. We have replaced the master cylinder, cruise control switch, ball joints, along with normal maintenance. It seems like normal stuff. We were rear-ended at 90,000 miles and, after $5000 in repairs it looked terrific again. No plans to replace. Definitely recommend the V6. great pick up.

Nice SUV
By Jim on 07/03/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with 60,000 miles a couple of years ago ... been a GREAT little SUV. Had a master cylinder replaced and new tires and that's it. Starts EVERY time and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned in the last 30 years. Good storage and rides pretty well for a smaller SUV. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Bought used, but still great.
By Kevin on 07/30/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 116K miles. Vehicle is now seven years old now and looks and drives great. The interior is still in perfect condition. Leather seats are barely worn. Went up from sedan to this due to having a child. Great room and car seats are a breeze now.

Love it
By la1528 on 01/28/08 17:47 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the Escape. The gas mileage is great. I usually pull about 36mpg on highway and 32 in the city(non-hybrid) The 5 speed is a great option, currently at 114 thou miles.

Excellent choice
By Deanna Barker on 01/10/08 13:17 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the Ford Escape in October 2001. Had been a loyal GM buyer for years. Will be trading my 2001 Escape for a 2008 in the spring. Would not think of buying anything else. Vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it and has only been in the shop once for repairs and a couple times for recalls. The most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

It's falling apart on me
By runnergirl on 05/07/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car looks and the way it drives. The problem I have it that it's falling apart, literally. I've replaced 2 stereos, 4 sensors, 1 sunroof motor and still need work done. The leather is peeling off 3 of 4 doors, my sunroof now has a leak, the motor is dying on the sunroof again, the front passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the tailgate only opens when it feels like it. Very frustrating when I've got a load of groceries and the tailgate won't open.

1 2 3 4 5 next »