Used 2001 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Killer Hotboxer
By nick152

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent car that gets you from A to B. There are better options in the same price range but this car is fine. Great car to light it up in.

Favorite Features

AM/FM radio

Tough little truck
By Cindy williams

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Right now I have 202,000 miles on my 2001 Escape. I bought it used a year ago. It is a 4 cylinder stick shift. Fuel mileage is pretty good, ride and handling are good, and reliability is great. Plenty of interior room and comfortable. Handles well in snow and driving around the farm. I bought it as a work vehicle and it has been great. The engine is what I like best. This is the first stick shift I have owned and learning has been very easy. The engine has plenty of power, to my surprise it can actually burn rubber quite easily! The only times I have had trouble in the snow are when it needed new tires and when I try to start up too hard the front tires spin, but it's fun.

Great Ride!
By RobinM

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Escape. I will buy another one if this one gives out. I have had very little trouble. Take care of it and it will last. My only complant; can be tricky to work on. Have to remove air intake to replace spark plugs. Have to remove exhaust to replace oil pan gasket. Drive belt hard to get to with the side engine.

Favorite Features

Rides very good, roomey, looks great, holds all the things I need to transport.

Suggested Improvements

Put a light on the ignition slot. Hard to see at night to put the key in.

Fun to Drive lots of small problems
By PeteNc

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like the escape well designed easy to see good size good mpg. It is definitely noisy. My main complaint is numerous $300-$500 problems. The antitheft starter went out $500 plus took forever to figure it out, it would crank but not start then battery would die. Lock broke $300 and forever. Valves broke $600. A/c out $900 so definitely getting into repairs.

Favorite Features

Very nice to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Reliablity I don't have these problems with honda or Toyota.

OK, but
By Ron

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has been very reliable. With over 120000 miles, it's also had its challenges. It's thrown two belt pulleys, and three belts. It goes everywhere and starts all the time. Have the xls, 5-speed. Mileage is not that great, 22-23. Last year, replaced the clutch, let my son learn to drive it, and shocks.

Favorite Features

Design, comfort, roominess, reliability. Just goes and goes. Maintenance is pretty easy.

Suggested Improvements

Have the cloth interior, very cheaply built. The driver seat is cracking on the vinyl trim, the cloth is still great.