2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Killer Hotboxer
By nick152 on 05/29/14 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent car that gets you from A to B. There are better options in the same price range but this car is fine. Great car to light it up in.

Tough little truck
By Cindy williams on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Right now I have 202,000 miles on my 2001 Escape. I bought it used a year ago. It is a 4 cylinder stick shift. Fuel mileage is pretty good, ride and handling are good, and reliability is great. Plenty of interior room and comfortable. Handles well in snow and driving around the farm. I bought it as a work vehicle and it has been great. The engine is what I like best. This is the first stick shift I have owned and learning has been very easy. The engine has plenty of power, to my surprise it can actually burn rubber quite easily! The only times I have had trouble in the snow are when it needed new tires and when I try to start up too hard the front tires spin, but it's fun.

Great Ride!
By RobinM on 01/23/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the Escape. I will buy another one if this one gives out. I have had very little trouble. Take care of it and it will last. My only complant; can be tricky to work on. Have to remove air intake to replace spark plugs. Have to remove exhaust to replace oil pan gasket. Drive belt hard to get to with the side engine.

Fun to Drive lots of small problems
By PeteNc on 04/21/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like the escape well designed easy to see good size good mpg. It is definitely noisy. My main complaint is numerous $300-$500 problems. The antitheft starter went out $500 plus took forever to figure it out, it would crank but not start then battery would die. Lock broke $300 and forever. Valves broke $600. A/c out $900 so definitely getting into repairs.

OK, but
By Ron on 06/14/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has been very reliable. With over 120000 miles, it's also had its challenges. It's thrown two belt pulleys, and three belts. It goes everywhere and starts all the time. Have the xls, 5-speed. Mileage is not that great, 22-23. Last year, replaced the clutch, let my son learn to drive it, and shocks.

Escape Now In Panama
By Ric on 09/27/07 02:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Escape Rocks! I purchased it new the first year it came out. My reason purchasing the Escape was for the ease of placing my windsurfing boards and equipment on top. I have taken this SUV on many of windsurfing trips with a lot of gear inside and on the top. I have had only slight issues with the Escape. Clutch master went out on a road trip to New Orleans. Went to the auto parts store and fixed it myself. Steel trending came off of the rear tire and broke of some of the trim. Problem was the tire not the Escape. I have now retired to Panama and have taken my Escape with me. We have great roads down here but the gas is a little high down here, the highway mileage is great

Great Escape
By Gr8Escape on 12/10/06 16:41 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Escape when they came out in 2001. We were drawn to the body style and took one for a test drive. We bought an XLS with a 4 cylinder engine. My wife likes the fact that it has a low-emissions rating. She averages 28 MPG in the summer. It drops to 25 in the winter. This was something we could not find in any other SUV, foreign or domestic. Since the purchase the Escape has been excellent. Nothing more that routine maintenance has been required. We now have 80,000 miles on ours and will buy a new one when Ford comes out with a new body style

Enjoyed every mile of it
By Christianne Nunez on 02/12/06 13:59 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

From the moment I saw it I fell in love with the looks (both exterior and interior). When I bought it and had the chance to drive it, I loved it even more. It has been reliable (great engine power when street lights turn green, and when having to advance slow moving vehicles, which I attribute to the combination of its light body and 6v engine) and it has been fun, making me look and feel younger. Great for outdoor activities (going up the mountains or the beach). Huge trunk capacity.

Good SUV for the money
By Sqoug on 10/19/05 00:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has about 43,000 miles right now. I have had it since April '01. During that time it broke only once - DPFE sensor stopped working at about 20,000 miles and was fixed on warranty. (I noticed no problem driving with broken DPFE sensor. It is probably important only for some emissions stuff.) The only other visit to the dealer was for the seat buckle recall. With that record I would say that this is a very reliable car. Average gas mileage on a 6000+ mile trip from CA to MN and back was about 23MPG. I do maintenance on my own - engine oil, ATF, radiator fluid, brakes, filters. I think I will keep my Escape for a few more years. No real reason to upgrade.

Problems
By buckeyebic on 06/22/05 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With 47555 miles, the V6 4WD has lost the torque converter says the dealer. Also the sun roof quit working and the dealer quoted over $1600 to fix it because the factory sun roof is the only option available. The left front wheel bearing is gone and the front right idler arm needs replaced. Seems too soon for these types of failures for a SUV that has never been off road and used on the freeway mostly.