Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

A great vehicle for the value
By Mark

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was handed down this car from my cousin who wasn't big on maintenance such as oil changes that went unperformed to the point of dipstick scorching and driving on dry rotted tires, the original clutch still grabs great, cold starts are a snap and idle speed is nice and low at 500rpm. No major repairs needed after 180k miles just tires and minor rust repair. The thing handles great and shifts while not as precise as a sports car can still be executed swiftly. If noise isn't your thing the 4 cylinder is much more pronounced than the more loaded v6 XLT. For great performance and dependability you can't beat these first gen Escapes.

Have always wanted an Escape, but now I have one..
By Ashley

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a Ford Escape! I wanted one because its the perfect size for me(I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 110 lb.) and it looks great. I got my 2001 Escape 7 months ago with 135k on it. I am the third owner. I have the V6 version with 4WD and I love the power it brings to vehicle! I am proud to own my Escape, but there are a few things I would like to mention. First we will start with the interior. The paneling on the front doors are both peeling of, and I have seen this in many other 2001 Escapes as well. Also, the interior is very cheap feeling on the dash. My Escape has leather interior and the leather is great, but the plastic just ins't. Another thing I am disappointed with is the backlight behind the odometer. The light blew out and its very labor intensive to replace. Moving to the exterior, the paint on the 01 models isn't very scratch resistant, but thats just a minor thing. Next lets talk about any mechanical problems I've had. My engine light came on and I had to replace a spark plug at 150k, but thats routine work for any car. When replacing the spark plugs, I also had to replace a coil pack. The mechanic said that two of the other coil packs had been replaced by the previous owner. When working on the coils packs, the mechanic also replaced something for the exhaust. Now I am currently having another problem. My oil light keeps flickering on when I'm idling or coasting. I have replaced the oil every 4k so I was unsure what it was. I've researched it and I found that many 01 Escapes' oil pressure sensor goes bad after years on the road. I'm scared to take it in though because I'm scared that it won't be the sensor. Despite these few problems I've had with this car, I am still in love with it! I think my favorite thing about this car is how it's 4WD preforms in the snow. This car is amazing in the snow. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is interested. I plan to upgrade to the 2013 SE Escape in the next year just for better quality and reliability reasons.

217k and still going
By JCR

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

3.0 V6 XLT. Bought it new with leather and towing pkg. Has 3500 lbs towing capacity which was best in class then. Still getting 20 mpg city and 25-27 mpg hwy. Great suv even by today's standards. Heard some horror stories with the transmissions on this vehicles; I serviced my transmission every 50k no problem!

238,000 miles and going strong
By Steven

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My parents gave me this vehicle for free when they got a new lincoln mxX, ive had zero issues with it other than A/C and a rear door lock, other than that no engine troubles whatsoever they're was an accident with someone standing still and me hitting them 10-15 mph and the bumper bar saved the radiator, otherwise zero damage other than bumper cover, this car is 11-12 years old of constant transportation whether its a 2 hour trip or to work everyday, i love this car and am gonna use it till it rots.

234,000 miles and still going strong!
By Sarah

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has run like a dream since day one. I live on 3 miles of dirt road and use the 4 wheel drive several times per year. I've never gotten stuck. The engine runs smoothly and it really is fun to drive. Road noise is a little much, and seats are hard as well. I'm gonna keep it til it dies, so far so good.