Used 2001 Ford Escape Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

234,000 miles and still going strong!
By Sarah

2001 Ford Escape XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Escape has run like a dream since day one. I live on 3 miles of dirt road and use the 4 wheel drive several times per year. I've never gotten stuck. The engine runs smoothly and it really is fun to drive. Road noise is a little much, and seats are hard as well. I'm gonna keep it til it dies, so far so good.

A get around town car. Not one for a long journey.
By ilovedodge

2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Ford Escape is a great car for getting around town its not great for going over 50 miles in one way. Maybe if your under 6 foot tall this car would be more comfortable, but for me, its not. Seat are kind of hard and don't provide much support. The front wheel drive makes it hard to handle. And its a bitch to control on windy days. The body is too narrow in comparison with its height.

The engine is good. A bit slow for my taste and not the most fuel efficient V6 either. It never falls to start even on days well below zero. Last winter it was -10 with a wind chill of -30 one day and on that day I cranked the engine about a second longer than I normally do. The car maneuvers well in tight areas and can parallel park easily.

Needs more interior space. Vehicle should be wider or sit lower to the ground. On windy days, the car gets hooked by the wind easily. Make the car rear wheel drive. The front drive makes steering [non-permissible content removed] on windy and rainy days. Headlights are positioned too low. I outdrive my headlights. They need to be higher. I would love a V8 options or maybe a diesel 4 or 6 cylinder. Needs a larger gas tank. My Escape gets about 22mpg on the highway and a 15 gallon tank doesn't make me feel too good about taking a long drive.

Killer Hotboxer
By nick152

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Decent car that gets you from A to B. There are better options in the same price range but this car is fine. Great car to light it up in.

AM/FM radio

If I had only known
By transyamber

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wish I had know that when I bought my 2001 Escape used in 2006 that the transmissions were so bad. I had to have the transmission rebuilt last year and am still paying for it. The bad part is it left me sitting beside the road last week. These are horrible transmissions to get worked on. Then they just break again. After $2000 and a complete rebuild the transmission died before there was 4000 miles on it! I do like it when it's working right.

Build a transmission for it that's easier and cheaper to get worked on!!!!!

Fun to drive! But not exactly the best built
By candybandy

2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love to drive our fun Escape! I love it sooo much! The problem is, it hasnt even reached 150K and it's already causing more problems more than it's worth. Around 70k one of the back door locks broke, and ever since then it's been a downhill of brakes, tires, lights going out, fan belts, you name it. Right now our transmission is going out and I'm very sad. It's parts act like it's well over 200k but it looks almost brand new! I love the smooth ride of this and the quick turns it does. It's a great small SUV. Since this is a first year, I think if you bought a later model you would be better because they probably would have all the kinks out.

Sound is AMAZING, good hatchback trunk area

Higher tilt on the wheel. I'm 6' and it's pretty low.