Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Ford Got This One Right
By Ed

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this vehicle back in June and finally received it January 19, seven months later. It was worth the wait. I have bought many of Fordís trucks, thunderbirds and other models in the last 30 plus years, but this is the most fun to drive. I have about 4000 miles on this so far and by learning to hyper-mile, I have been able to get up to 35 mpg per tank, driving in the foothills of SC. The technology in this SUV is great.

Favorite Features

Mileage, Sync & navigation system, Sirius radio, 120 volt electrical outlet, heated leather seats, moon roof, ambient lighting in 7 different colors, handling, back-up sensors, 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Wish it would go faster than 40 MPH in full electric mode.

Good SUV. Great Hybrid.
By CaesarTheDay

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Two days of driving - so this is a first impression. The car is well designed inside and out. Microsoft SYNC is very impressive and I find this feature the best of all in the car. Acceleration is sluggish - but the car does fine on the highway. I'm still in the burn in stage - so the MPG is around 27 but I'm hoping it'll improve with time and driving. The car is surprisingly roomy for the over 6' driver and is accommodating for kids in the back including a car-seat. Rear cargo room is ample, but there is no cargo net, or tie-down hooks to install one.

Favorite Features

Microsoft SYNC with voice commands, DVD player and music integration. Fuel economy On the road quietness

Suggested Improvements

Homelink garage door opener. Cargo nets or at least loops for after-market nets. Single-motion fold down rear seats.

traded my honda fit for this :)
By rob

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my honda fit 2008 for mpg savings after my toyota highlander. However, the gas savings on the fit werent there. I started to investigate the ford escape hybird and I was impressed. FORD is back ! I had soooo many more features with the hybird. I bought a 20009 escape hybird (pre-owned) with about 6k miles on it. Its been really good to drive the car and the gas savings are great.

Favorite Features

1)MPG and the ecogauge 2)Sync 3)Handling 4) more room and space 5) huge center console 6) Lighting

Suggested Improvements

1) Make improvements to fold the back seat easier instead of a two step process. My 2003 highlander was able to fold down in 1 easy step!. 2) Cupholders on the side on the door panel.

09 escape hybrid--what an improvement
By jrs3

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just traded in a 4WD 07 escape hybrid for a 4WD 09 hybrid--what a huge difference--the driving experience, quality and comfort much improved. The vehicle has become a class act rather than a noisy bare bones 4X4. Other improvements include a much better tuned switch from gas to electric and the mileage is better (31 average in mixed driving and it is not yet broken in).

Favorite Features

drive smooth, mileage, solid feel

Suggested Improvements

Minor complaints include chunky exterior styling (go European for god's sake) and the shift lever which is a tacky square silver plastic thing with a sharp edge that catches your finger in the front--Ford just put the fusion shift lever in and make the interior the same.

Fantastic, luxurious, fun to drive
By SMB

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I couldn't be happier with my new Escape Hybrid. Even during the break-in period, during which MPG is slightly less, the efficiency is stunning. As a city driver, getting 34 mpg in the city in a beautiful, luxurious, peppy SUV is a dream come true. The pick up makes it feel more like a V6 than a 4-cylinder. The interior of the Limited edition is second-to-none, and the Sync feature is incredibly convenient. The car handles wonderfully, the steering and braking are responsive (which is an improvement from 2008, where braking was somewhat problematic, I understand). Could not be happier.

Favorite Features

Sync, heated leather seats, moonroof, ambient floor lighting (in 7 different colors - it's just fun), handling, back-up sensors - love it all!

Suggested Improvements

... wouldn't change a thing.