Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Got a great deal - cash for my clunker
By George

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Wow, with a Cash-for-Clunker deal already from the dealer for $4500 (my 1991 Ford Explorer), and $958 tax credit Federal and $3,906 tax credit (yes!) Colorado, I got a great deal, so this Hybrid wasn't so expensive for us. Being a "Full Hybrid", both the Electric Motor and gas Engine drive the wheels at the same time, and usually electric-only under 40 mph unless you step on it. When coasting downhill over 40 mph, the gas engine is on, but not using gas, as the fuel injectors close. Amazinghow it all works. Great gas milage so far - 32 mpg mostly city so far and have driven less than 1,000 miles.

Large wide center console for both our elbows. Smoothness of ride and a very solid car, inside and out. Like sitting high. Great radio/CD sound and dash layout. Michelin Latitude Tour tires are specially made for hybrid, giving 1 more mpg.

Rear disc brakes would be better than the drums, but have no braking complaints.

Great Car
By amtravco

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love this car. In the summer we're averaging 38 mpg in city driving (with some stretches of county roads mixed in). On the highway, it's closer to 32 mpg. My major complaints are a) the engine is very noisy, and b) the Sync system from Microsoft stinks. I'll elaborate on the latter. #1 complaint: Can't set Nav system while you're driving. If we want to find an upcoming restaurant while on the freeway, I guess we need to pull over to the side of the road? The fonts are hard to read (orange on light blue??) The LCD is polarized such that when wearing polarized sunglasses it's very dim. Basically, when we use our cheap Garmin it's easy and reliable to find locations; with Sync it's frustrati

Mileage. Overall package is nice. Styling, color, seating, all are good. Sync radio and satellite radio are fine. It's the nav that stinks.

Tone down engine noise. I wish we could have Garmin do the nav. We'll probably buy a separate Garmin for use in this car.

No wonder Ford leads the Big 3
By detroit ex-pat

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been looking at the FEH for a while and happened to find the one I wanted a dealer nearby, so I went to check it out. Anyway two hours later I had traded in my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx for my new FEH. So far I have put about 8600 miles on it in the 4 months I have had the car and I love driving it. I've got a 35 mile commute from the north side of Chicago to the western suburbs (a mix of city, freeway and horrendous traffic), and I feel as though the FEH must have been designed to drive my commute. Long haul trips are a breeze as well with the sync system to entertain (or distract) during long hours behind the wheel.

Love the sync system and drivers cockpit layout (wish the seat had a lumbar support). Living in Illinois I love the integrated speaker phone, so that I don't have to be one of those people wearing the stupid BT earpiece.

There aren't any hooks to hang dry cleaning in the back seat, the one hook is in the cargo area and can barely hold two hangers. Allow the nav to do more things while it is in motion (especially if there is someone in the passenger seat). Allow sync to load mp3 from usb thumb drives, vs cd only.

Great design by Ford
By Meatwaggon

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this vehicle back in June of '08, and picked it up in October. I have to say this vehicle is a blast to drive once you learn how to coax the electric drive into action. I really like how this car can sneak up on people in electric mode and make them turn heads as you drive past them at 30-40 mph with only the sound of the wind and the tires on the ground to cue them in to the fact that there's a car nearby. So far I haven't had any reliability issues, the car delivers the promised mileage, and the features that I got on this vehicle have all been very satisfactory and helpful (Nav system, step bars, cargo rack bars). The interior design is however a bit clunky.

The Nav screen and its features. The ability to use electric drive all the way up to 40mph. The adjustable driver's seat. The night lighting. The exterior design (much more muscular/beefier than the earlier FEH model years).

Decrease engine noise; it's too high at both street & highway speeds when accelerating. Move the Nav screen up higher to be above the vents so that you don't have to look down so far to read the screen while driving. Modify the back seat design to make it easier to fold down for extra cargo space.

2009 Escape Hybrid 4WD
By BrionL

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1,000 miles and very pleased with the vehicle. Getting an honest 32mpg with mixed hwy/city driving which is great for an AWD vehicle. Excellent regular performance when needed.

Excellent mileage. Interior comfort. Lots of gadgets. All-wheel drive.

1. Road noise is high on rough roads. 2. The Microsoft Synch system is like all things MS, great and maddeningly frustrating. Navigation can't use the Bluetooth phones address book for nav.