2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
Hybrid
By David on 02/15/09 21:18 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great power from a 2.5L engine, but when I saw rear drum brakes in a 2009 I thought I was seeing things. I wasn't. This car is under-braked. It is hard to stop in hard braking. It is also a little squirrely in handling turns, the Escape tends to wallow in mountain turns at freeway speeds. Overall a peppy car to drive around town but I find it difficult to get the electric motor to turn on at low speeds, even using a very light touch.

Amazing Vehicle
By Matt on 02/10/09 13:47 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the FEH for about 4 months now and driven over 7000 miles. The FEH has been a dream come true! My only complaint is the extreme drop in mileage during a cold Wisconsin winter - which is to be expected (and I've seen) with any vehicle. But overall the excitement of driving the 09 FEH is something unmatched. The AWD kicks in without any change in how the ride feels. Great handling overall for the vehicle. My wife who has a Civic loves to drive it and feels that the car is a decent size.

Technology Dream
By First Ford on 12/30/08 13:05 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My first impression of our new FEH is that the technology surrounding the car is wonderful! The EV drive train, the CVT transmission, SYNC, Blue Tooth, Sirius all work together flawlessly and make the car a lot of fun to drive. It handles pretty well and for an EUV, it's even fun on a narrow winding road. Our one complaint is that the new recycled material seats are as hard as cement and will make driving long distances (one of the reasons we went with the FEH) a bit of a challenge.

What a thing of beauty and drive!
By Mike on 12/02/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered my 09 Escape Hybrid back in June and just recieved it on 11/26. The inside is gorgeous (love the light blue hue) and if I ever get stranded, I can eat my seats! I love Sync and I finally can listen to Howard Stern in the mornings now on Sirrius. I drive back and fourth into Queens (31 miles from home to work and back). Right now, I've done 200 miles and the gas gauge is just now showing a half a tank..not bad! The car looks bigger; but slightly compared to my 05 EH that I traded in for this one. The hood has been flattened out to make it seem that the car is wider. The acceleration is better and I in fact go electric at 40mph or lower.

So Far the Best
By freeandfighting on 11/30/08 14:13 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yes, the best vehicle I've purchased in my 45 years buying new and used cars. Zero defects, outstanding mileage. I think it combines the best combination of mileage, safety, capacity, and price of any vehicle in the U.S. market today. Its $3,000 income tax rebate made it a $25,600 purchase price for me plus tax and tag. Noticeable improvements over the 2008 model I test drove early in the year. You could coast for a long time between 35 and 40 mph on electric alone! Mine is still on break-in and the average mileage with AC on half of the time (Miami,FL) is 33.6 mpg. This is on a mix 50% suburban, 30% city, 20% highway; and American made to boot.

Great SUV
By Ken on 11/19/08 11:00 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a very nice SUV for the money. It's comfortable, has a great ride and has some pretty neat features, too. The Sync System connects to your cell phone, Ipod, etc. and allows you to communicate with voice commands. The interior looks very good, as well. All this and the mileage is fantastic! The transition that occurs from the electric motor to the gas engine is very smooth. It's a fun vehicle to drive. Ford really did a good job.

Best Vehicle Ever Driven
By Jim on 11/18/08 12:24 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am a ex-professional long haul trucker. The best kept secret. The Ford Hybrid is the best car I ever owned. Peppy, great MPG, sporty.

2009 The Best Hybrid on Earth.
By Jim F. on 11/10/08 18:33 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive it like a Mustang. I put 20" chrome wheels on. I drive 60 miles per day, half highway at about 80 mph. City driving is fantastic, electric motor up to 40mph 4 wheeel drive cuts mpg but I average 28 mpg for the 600 miles driven

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited
By marksp on 10/22/08 09:53 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Best compliment of fuel efficiency, utility and lowered environmental impact of any vehicle made in the USA. Proud to drive; happy to own! Feels well made and the "Limited" is well equipped. Great design!

New to the World of Hybrids
By Chuckles on 10/16/08 19:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just passed one month and 1000 miles. Averaging 33mpg in mostly small town driving. Previously had a 05 Escape XLT and the FEH is a marked improvement in ride and amenities.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid in VA is:

$111 per month*