Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

No problem automobile
By Tom

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven 14 months 23,000 miles. No mechanical problem, gas mileage is as they claim. Quick pik up when need power to take over other car on the highway. My older Honda Accord has 2 second delay when need the power. Dealer adjusted power steering as tight as possible, but need little more tighten for more control at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed.

Navigation System, Gas mileage

Need more tight powering for safer drive at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed

Update after 33,000 miles
By Ken

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like my Escape less now than when I first purchased it. I don't know if my problems are isolated or if other vehicles have the same issues. The heated seats stay warm only minutes after being turned on. The seats warm quickly but then fade to cool within about 5 minutes. The air conditioning system is a joke. When both driver and passenger sides are set to the same temperature, the passenger side, will blow 8 degrees warmer than the drivers side...but only sometimes. Also, the system can be set at 72 degrees and blow hot but can also blow cold when set to 76. It's frustrating. I think the a/c system may be bipolar. The dealer says the technology is in the motor...he's right.

Mileage

A/C, Power passenger seat, Heating element in seats and the occasional noise coming from the passenger side of the dash that sounds like a squirrel is trapped inside.

Great SUV
By jgimp123

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first SUV, but I LOVE it! It is roomy inside and has a lot of neat gadgets. The ride is smooth, although the gas engine is a little loud. The sync feature is nice, except when it doesn't understand your commands. MPG is pretty good. I've had mine for a few weeks and average 30 mpg. The faster you drive, the more it decreases. It is a bit touchy at first and takes some getting used to transitioning from gas to electric. The more I drive it, the easier it is to use the electric motor under 40 vs the gas. If you run the AC, it is difficult to get the electric motor to kick in. Overall, great car and highly recommend it! One nice thing is that maintenance is not required often.

Not much maintenance. It only requires an oil change every 10,000 miles or every 12 month. 0-40 on electric motor.

Getting sync feature to better recognize voice commands. Making it so AC does not affect electric motor.

Great Car
By amtravco

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love this car. In the summer we're averaging 38 mpg in city driving (with some stretches of county roads mixed in). On the highway, it's closer to 32 mpg. My major complaints are a) the engine is very noisy, and b) the Sync system from Microsoft stinks. I'll elaborate on the latter. #1 complaint: Can't set Nav system while you're driving. If we want to find an upcoming restaurant while on the freeway, I guess we need to pull over to the side of the road? The fonts are hard to read (orange on light blue??) The LCD is polarized such that when wearing polarized sunglasses it's very dim. Basically, when we use our cheap Garmin it's easy and reliable to find locations; with Sync it's frustrati

Mileage. Overall package is nice. Styling, color, seating, all are good. Sync radio and satellite radio are fine. It's the nav that stinks.

Tone down engine noise. I wish we could have Garmin do the nav. We'll probably buy a separate Garmin for use in this car.

No wonder Ford leads the Big 3
By detroit ex-pat

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been looking at the FEH for a while and happened to find the one I wanted a dealer nearby, so I went to check it out. Anyway two hours later I had traded in my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx for my new FEH. So far I have put about 8600 miles on it in the 4 months I have had the car and I love driving it. I've got a 35 mile commute from the north side of Chicago to the western suburbs (a mix of city, freeway and horrendous traffic), and I feel as though the FEH must have been designed to drive my commute. Long haul trips are a breeze as well with the sync system to entertain (or distract) during long hours behind the wheel.

Love the sync system and drivers cockpit layout (wish the seat had a lumbar support). Living in Illinois I love the integrated speaker phone, so that I don't have to be one of those people wearing the stupid BT earpiece.

There aren't any hooks to hang dry cleaning in the back seat, the one hook is in the cargo area and can barely hold two hangers. Allow the nav to do more things while it is in motion (especially if there is someone in the passenger seat). Allow sync to load mp3 from usb thumb drives, vs cd only.