Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

108K and Still going strong
By jas74

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2009 escape hybrid from my company fleet department. It was driven by a colleague of mine for 99K. I took it to Ford for the 100k service, all it needed was spark plugs, cabin filters and Oil Change! Are you kidding me? She said the hybrids have less wear and tear than a normal ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). Yeah the handling and performance is not of a BMW X5, but how about that reliability! and 33-35MPG that I get consistently. Oh and the 100k service $400 bucks at the dealer. Not bad

37 MPG! & Great for Tall Drivers
By phatcat73

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchase mine used in Nov 2010 and it had 32k miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle which probably means car rental which concerned me a bit, however aside from buying new, used versions are difficult to find. I'm 6'6"and few cars/trucks fit me. For being a compact SUV, this one is just right! At temperatures above 50 deg, I'm averaging around 37mpg in mixed driving. To get to the level I learned to maximize the battery when driving under 40mph as the engine can shutoff and drive under all electric power for a short time. You really have to learn the thresholds as to when the engine will kick in driving under 40 then try to maximize the battery. This will yield higher MPGs.

Great for tall drivers. Sync system with ipod/bluetooth/sirius support is great. Once you go hybrid, it's difficult to go back to conventional engines. It's like taking a step back in technology. Reliability - Rental purchased with 32k miles and I now have 62k with ZERO problems. I've read these hybrids are overbuilt and have many heavy duty components installed vs conventional Escapes. Battery Longetivity - I read an article about a fleet of CA Escape Hybrid taxis being put in retirement after 300k miles. They were still running solid and the batteries held a greater than 80% charge. Wow! Maintenance - Oil changes every 10k, low stress on the engine due to battery,

Convert to lithium ion batteries and make it a plug-in! It's no wonder major car manufacturers are slow to roll out hybrids/plugins. With their low maintenance, and longetivity, people will be visiting their dealers less often for maintenance and car purchases. I'm looking forward to startups such as Tesla, to help motivate the competition.

why is my gas mileage so poor?
By sladams

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a used 2009 escape hybrid 2wd with 42000 miles on it. I think it was probably a fleet car. It's in good shape but I'm only getting 25 miles to the gallon with combined city/hwy driving. And, the gas tank only seems to take 11 gallons when I believe it has a 15 gallon tank. I know it's hot and the aircon has to be on but isn't that still pretty low mileage? Kind of wishing I had bought a new non-hybrid for the same money now. Any info/suggestions would be helpful in making me feel like I made a decent purchase. thanks

Love it! (even after 2 warranty repairs)
By Kyle

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my FEH for 4 months now. I love it, it makes my daily commutes in traffic so much better. The sync system is awesome, same with the hands-free phoning, and the satellite radio. I've been getting about 36 mpg - plus it's kinda fun try to keep the tach in the green (battery mode) while driving, it takes a little practice to get good at it - sometimes I even find myself hoping traffic will slow down so I can recharge! On the downside, I have had to take it back to the dealership for two different repairs, will go into more detail below. Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase and would recommend the FEH to anyone (as long as it's still under warranty). It's a great vehicle!

Unbeatable gas mileage for an SUV, especially in traffic (~36 mpg). Unexpectedly powerful when you really need it (will use gas and electric at same time if you floor it). Sync system (you can control your iPod with voice commands). Blue-tooth (hands free phone ability). Satellite radio. Rides high.

There was a leak in the exhaust manifold that was fixed under warranty (would've been $1600 though). Also a warranty repair to stop a loud creaking noise(parts in the subframe were rubbing against each other). Both had TSBs so Ford knows about them. The fabric seats stain from small amounts of water.

Great design by Ford
By Meatwaggon

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this vehicle back in June of '08, and picked it up in October. I have to say this vehicle is a blast to drive once you learn how to coax the electric drive into action. I really like how this car can sneak up on people in electric mode and make them turn heads as you drive past them at 30-40 mph with only the sound of the wind and the tires on the ground to cue them in to the fact that there's a car nearby. So far I haven't had any reliability issues, the car delivers the promised mileage, and the features that I got on this vehicle have all been very satisfactory and helpful (Nav system, step bars, cargo rack bars). The interior design is however a bit clunky.

The Nav screen and its features. The ability to use electric drive all the way up to 40mph. The adjustable driver's seat. The night lighting. The exterior design (much more muscular/beefier than the earlier FEH model years).

Decrease engine noise; it's too high at both street & highway speeds when accelerating. Move the Nav screen up higher to be above the vents so that you don't have to look down so far to read the screen while driving. Modify the back seat design to make it easier to fold down for extra cargo space.