2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
No problem automobile
By Tom on 08/15/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven 14 months 23,000 miles. No mechanical problem, gas mileage is as they claim. Quick pik up when need power to take over other car on the highway. My older Honda Accord has 2 second delay when need the power. Dealer adjusted power steering as tight as possible, but need little more tighten for more control at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed.

Update after 33,000 miles
By Ken on 11/05/09 09:53 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like my Escape less now than when I first purchased it. I don't know if my problems are isolated or if other vehicles have the same issues. The heated seats stay warm only minutes after being turned on. The seats warm quickly but then fade to cool within about 5 minutes. The air conditioning system is a joke. When both driver and passenger sides are set to the same temperature, the passenger side, will blow 8 degrees warmer than the drivers side...but only sometimes. Also, the system can be set at 72 degrees and blow hot but can also blow cold when set to 76. It's frustrating. I think the a/c system may be bipolar. The dealer says the technology is in the motor...he's right.

Great SUV
By jgimp123 on 08/04/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first SUV, but I LOVE it! It is roomy inside and has a lot of neat gadgets. The ride is smooth, although the gas engine is a little loud. The sync feature is nice, except when it doesn't understand your commands. MPG is pretty good. I've had mine for a few weeks and average 30 mpg. The faster you drive, the more it decreases. It is a bit touchy at first and takes some getting used to transitioning from gas to electric. The more I drive it, the easier it is to use the electric motor under 40 vs the gas. If you run the AC, it is difficult to get the electric motor to kick in. Overall, great car and highly recommend it! One nice thing is that maintenance is not required often.

Great Car
By amtravco on 06/26/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love this car. In the summer we're averaging 38 mpg in city driving (with some stretches of county roads mixed in). On the highway, it's closer to 32 mpg. My major complaints are a) the engine is very noisy, and b) the Sync system from Microsoft stinks. I'll elaborate on the latter. #1 complaint: Can't set Nav system while you're driving. If we want to find an upcoming restaurant while on the freeway, I guess we need to pull over to the side of the road? The fonts are hard to read (orange on light blue??) The LCD is polarized such that when wearing polarized sunglasses it's very dim. Basically, when we use our cheap Garmin it's easy and reliable to find locations; with Sync it's frustrati

No wonder Ford leads the Big 3
By detroit ex-pat on 06/23/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had been looking at the FEH for a while and happened to find the one I wanted a dealer nearby, so I went to check it out. Anyway two hours later I had traded in my 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx for my new FEH. So far I have put about 8600 miles on it in the 4 months I have had the car and I love driving it. I've got a 35 mile commute from the north side of Chicago to the western suburbs (a mix of city, freeway and horrendous traffic), and I feel as though the FEH must have been designed to drive my commute. Long haul trips are a breeze as well with the sync system to entertain (or distract) during long hours behind the wheel.

Good SUV. Great Hybrid.
By CaesarTheDay on 05/04/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Two days of driving - so this is a first impression. The car is well designed inside and out. Microsoft SYNC is very impressive and I find this feature the best of all in the car. Acceleration is sluggish - but the car does fine on the highway. I'm still in the burn in stage - so the MPG is around 27 but I'm hoping it'll improve with time and driving. The car is surprisingly roomy for the over 6' driver and is accommodating for kids in the back including a car-seat. Rear cargo room is ample, but there is no cargo net, or tie-down hooks to install one.

Fantastic, luxurious, fun to drive
By SMB on 03/31/09 07:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I couldn't be happier with my new Escape Hybrid. Even during the break-in period, during which MPG is slightly less, the efficiency is stunning. As a city driver, getting 34 mpg in the city in a beautiful, luxurious, peppy SUV is a dream come true. The pick up makes it feel more like a V6 than a 4-cylinder. The interior of the Limited edition is second-to-none, and the Sync feature is incredibly convenient. The car handles wonderfully, the steering and braking are responsive (which is an improvement from 2008, where braking was somewhat problematic, I understand). Could not be happier.

Great SUV
By Ken on 11/19/08 11:00 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a very nice SUV for the money. It's comfortable, has a great ride and has some pretty neat features, too. The Sync System connects to your cell phone, Ipod, etc. and allows you to communicate with voice commands. The interior looks very good, as well. All this and the mileage is fantastic! The transition that occurs from the electric motor to the gas engine is very smooth. It's a fun vehicle to drive. Ford really did a good job.

Great Hybrid
By Hook686 on 09/18/08 16:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In this volatile economic world, I find it a real plus to have a motor vehicle that yields me 30-44 mpg of gasoline. This 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited does that for me thus far, and is just plan fun to drive I'm still on my first tank of gas and getting to know the SYNC & NAV systems, but thus far I am really pleased. An SUV that gets me 42 mpg around town. I really like that. I will update this as my time with the SUV increases, but for now I could not be happier with my choice

An awesome car overall - love it!
By csports786 on 09/15/08 21:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this car about a month ago and have been thoroughly impressed so far! I went with the limited edition one and I'm very happy I did--the navigation is one of the best in the industry, not to mention to helpful fuel economy screen and Sirius information. I believe I'm on my 4th tank of gas, and my last one got 31.5 MPG overall. You can cruise to 40 MPH on electric if you don't accelerate too hard, and the Econ AC is a huge plus. One problem is the interior design--the doors are made of cheap looking plastic material that gets scuffed easily. But don't let this fool you, the car is amazing, and if you hurry you can still get a pretty nice tax credit that helps offset the hybrid premium.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Suv in WA is:

$136 per month*