2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:
108K and Still going strong
By jas74 on 07/13/12 06:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2009 escape hybrid from my company fleet department. It was driven by a colleague of mine for 99K. I took it to Ford for the 100k service, all it needed was spark plugs, cabin filters and Oil Change! Are you kidding me? She said the hybrids have less wear and tear than a normal ICE (Internal Combustion Engine). Yeah the handling and performance is not of a BMW X5, but how about that reliability! and 33-35MPG that I get consistently. Oh and the 100k service $400 bucks at the dealer. Not bad

37 MPG! & Great for Tall Drivers
By phatcat73 on 06/01/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchase mine used in Nov 2010 and it had 32k miles on it. It was a fleet vehicle which probably means car rental which concerned me a bit, however aside from buying new, used versions are difficult to find. I'm 6'6"and few cars/trucks fit me. For being a compact SUV, this one is just right! At temperatures above 50 deg, I'm averaging around 37mpg in mixed driving. To get to the level I learned to maximize the battery when driving under 40mph as the engine can shutoff and drive under all electric power for a short time. You really have to learn the thresholds as to when the engine will kick in driving under 40 then try to maximize the battery. This will yield higher MPGs.

why is my gas mileage so poor?
By sladams on 08/01/11 12:09 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a used 2009 escape hybrid 2wd with 42000 miles on it. I think it was probably a fleet car. It's in good shape but I'm only getting 25 miles to the gallon with combined city/hwy driving. And, the gas tank only seems to take 11 gallons when I believe it has a 15 gallon tank. I know it's hot and the aircon has to be on but isn't that still pretty low mileage? Kind of wishing I had bought a new non-hybrid for the same money now. Any info/suggestions would be helpful in making me feel like I made a decent purchase. thanks

Love it! (even after 2 warranty repairs)
By Kyle on 06/13/10 09:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my FEH for 4 months now. I love it, it makes my daily commutes in traffic so much better. The sync system is awesome, same with the hands-free phoning, and the satellite radio. I've been getting about 36 mpg - plus it's kinda fun try to keep the tach in the green (battery mode) while driving, it takes a little practice to get good at it - sometimes I even find myself hoping traffic will slow down so I can recharge! On the downside, I have had to take it back to the dealership for two different repairs, will go into more detail below. Overall I am extremely happy with the purchase and would recommend the FEH to anyone (as long as it's still under warranty). It's a great vehicle!

Great design by Ford
By Meatwaggon on 06/21/09 10:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered this vehicle back in June of '08, and picked it up in October. I have to say this vehicle is a blast to drive once you learn how to coax the electric drive into action. I really like how this car can sneak up on people in electric mode and make them turn heads as you drive past them at 30-40 mph with only the sound of the wind and the tires on the ground to cue them in to the fact that there's a car nearby. So far I haven't had any reliability issues, the car delivers the promised mileage, and the features that I got on this vehicle have all been very satisfactory and helpful (Nav system, step bars, cargo rack bars). The interior design is however a bit clunky.

traded my honda fit for this :)
By rob on 04/29/09 17:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had my honda fit 2008 for mpg savings after my toyota highlander. However, the gas savings on the fit werent there. I started to investigate the ford escape hybird and I was impressed. FORD is back ! I had soooo many more features with the hybird. I bought a 20009 escape hybird (pre-owned) with about 6k miles on it. Its been really good to drive the car and the gas savings are great.

Hybrid
By David on 02/15/09 21:18 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great power from a 2.5L engine, but when I saw rear drum brakes in a 2009 I thought I was seeing things. I wasn't. This car is under-braked. It is hard to stop in hard braking. It is also a little squirrely in handling turns, the Escape tends to wallow in mountain turns at freeway speeds. Overall a peppy car to drive around town but I find it difficult to get the electric motor to turn on at low speeds, even using a very light touch.

Technology Dream
By First Ford on 12/30/08 13:05 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My first impression of our new FEH is that the technology surrounding the car is wonderful! The EV drive train, the CVT transmission, SYNC, Blue Tooth, Sirius all work together flawlessly and make the car a lot of fun to drive. It handles pretty well and for an EUV, it's even fun on a narrow winding road. Our one complaint is that the new recycled material seats are as hard as cement and will make driving long distances (one of the reasons we went with the FEH) a bit of a challenge.

What a thing of beauty and drive!
By Mike on 12/02/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I ordered my 09 Escape Hybrid back in June and just recieved it on 11/26. The inside is gorgeous (love the light blue hue) and if I ever get stranded, I can eat my seats! I love Sync and I finally can listen to Howard Stern in the mornings now on Sirrius. I drive back and fourth into Queens (31 miles from home to work and back). Right now, I've done 200 miles and the gas gauge is just now showing a half a tank..not bad! The car looks bigger; but slightly compared to my 05 EH that I traded in for this one. The hood has been flattened out to make it seem that the car is wider. The acceleration is better and I in fact go electric at 40mph or lower.

So Far the Best
By freeandfighting on 11/30/08 14:13 PM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yes, the best vehicle I've purchased in my 45 years buying new and used cars. Zero defects, outstanding mileage. I think it combines the best combination of mileage, safety, capacity, and price of any vehicle in the U.S. market today. Its $3,000 income tax rebate made it a $25,600 purchase price for me plus tax and tag. Noticeable improvements over the 2008 model I test drove early in the year. You could coast for a long time between 35 and 40 mph on electric alone! Mine is still on break-in and the average mileage with AC on half of the time (Miami,FL) is 33.6 mpg. This is on a mix 50% suburban, 30% city, 20% highway; and American made to boot.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Suv in VA is:

$118 per month*