Used 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

My Millennium Falcon
By William Blake

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Very reliable and comfortable with traction in deep snow as good or better than my explorer. Around town, less than 40 mph, the electric motors give smooth, quiet, gas free acceleration and all braking refills the battery. Room for the skis, snowboards and boots in the vehicle while seating 4, or on top with room for 5. In 118,000 miles the driver's front wheel bearing has failed twice and the lower ball joints have been replaced once. Other than that the engine/motors and "Continuously Variable Transmission" and body and drive train have been flawless.

No problem automobile
By Tom

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have driven 14 months 23,000 miles. No mechanical problem, gas mileage is as they claim. Quick pik up when need power to take over other car on the highway. My older Honda Accord has 2 second delay when need the power. Dealer adjusted power steering as tight as possible, but need little more tighten for more control at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed.

Navigation System, Gas mileage

Need more tight powering for safer drive at high speed. Need improve wind noise at high speed

Update after 33,000 miles
By Ken

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like my Escape less now than when I first purchased it. I don't know if my problems are isolated or if other vehicles have the same issues. The heated seats stay warm only minutes after being turned on. The seats warm quickly but then fade to cool within about 5 minutes. The air conditioning system is a joke. When both driver and passenger sides are set to the same temperature, the passenger side, will blow 8 degrees warmer than the drivers side...but only sometimes. Also, the system can be set at 72 degrees and blow hot but can also blow cold when set to 76. It's frustrating. I think the a/c system may be bipolar. The dealer says the technology is in the motor...he's right.

Mileage

A/C, Power passenger seat, Heating element in seats and the occasional noise coming from the passenger side of the dash that sounds like a squirrel is trapped inside.

Great SUV
By jgimp123

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first SUV, but I LOVE it! It is roomy inside and has a lot of neat gadgets. The ride is smooth, although the gas engine is a little loud. The sync feature is nice, except when it doesn't understand your commands. MPG is pretty good. I've had mine for a few weeks and average 30 mpg. The faster you drive, the more it decreases. It is a bit touchy at first and takes some getting used to transitioning from gas to electric. The more I drive it, the easier it is to use the electric motor under 40 vs the gas. If you run the AC, it is difficult to get the electric motor to kick in. Overall, great car and highly recommend it! One nice thing is that maintenance is not required often.

Not much maintenance. It only requires an oil change every 10,000 miles or every 12 month. 0-40 on electric motor.

Getting sync feature to better recognize voice commands. Making it so AC does not affect electric motor.

Great Car
By amtravco

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love this car. In the summer we're averaging 38 mpg in city driving (with some stretches of county roads mixed in). On the highway, it's closer to 32 mpg. My major complaints are a) the engine is very noisy, and b) the Sync system from Microsoft stinks. I'll elaborate on the latter. #1 complaint: Can't set Nav system while you're driving. If we want to find an upcoming restaurant while on the freeway, I guess we need to pull over to the side of the road? The fonts are hard to read (orange on light blue??) The LCD is polarized such that when wearing polarized sunglasses it's very dim. Basically, when we use our cheap Garmin it's easy and reliable to find locations; with Sync it's frustrati

Mileage. Overall package is nice. Styling, color, seating, all are good. Sync radio and satellite radio are fine. It's the nav that stinks.

Tone down engine noise. I wish we could have Garmin do the nav. We'll probably buy a separate Garmin for use in this car.