Pleased with 2008 Escape Hybrid
By George S on
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I bought this for the boss to replace a mini-van we outgrew. We wanted to downsize but not give up comfort and the ability to haul stuff from time to time. Oh yes, we wanted to use less gas as well. The Escape Hybrid did all these things for us. It gets a consistent 30MPG which certainly meets our expectations. We have not had any trouble with it whatsoever. Frankly, I didn't expect it to be this good but Ford, so far, has exceeded my expectations with regard to reliability. As an engineer, I appreciate and respect this as a technological achievement. The shop manuals for it have been enlightening and entertaining. To the boss it's "push this to go; this to stop". It works for both of us.
Favorite Features
Seamless hybrid operation; comfortable on trips; flat screen display and representation of the power functions;
Suggested Improvements
HVAC should be simpler, it appears to have too many confusing functions. I prefer to dial in the temp and let it decide how to achieve same. Use the graphical display to incorporate engine diagnostic functions (i.e. OBDII and Ford specific). Dopey-but how about a single swipe feature for the wipers?