2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Not great in a cold

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Review

Not great in a cold climate
By EyeOnAlaska on

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my used 08 FEH awd for my move back to Alaska. Very disappointed with the mileage I'm getting in a colder climate-averaging 21mpg all- around. Granted, that's ok for an SUV, but certainly doesn't live up to its billing. It very rarely goes into EV mode, and even when it does, the engine won't stay off sitting at a stoplight. This is in temperatures anytime below 20 F. Below 0 F, mpg drops into the mid teens and it sounds like a coffee grinder on steroids until it finally warms up. Almost a must to keep it in a heated garage. You have to be incredibly careful with the gas pedal to not kick it out of EV mode leaving a stoplight.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, decent radio, good traction. Still decent mileage for an AWD SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is cheap, even with leather. Engine is loud and tinny if you're having to use any power. Gas pedal is much too touchy for EV mode and I wish it had a switch that would let the driver select EV mode.