2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Review: New England Ownership after 1

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

New England Ownership after 1 year, 2 Mo
By GuzziAlfa on

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I will echo much of the positive remarks about this vehicle although the one thing that is inconsistent between reviewers is mileage. In New England the weather is so variable by season that I actually charted my mileage for each fill up. In winter months with heat and electric seat heaters I could get 22 - 24 mpg. In the spring I shot back up to 30 mpg. Max mileage reached was 31.5 and that was only 3 times. The economy mode button helps by cutting out the engine at traffic lights so blowers will still work but not AC or heat. That's ok for short pauses. The one thing inconsistent is the HEV or hybrid display of mileage - it is always higher than reality by 1.5 - 2.5 miles.

Favorite Features

Hybrid - why else buy it, right? Navigation, upgraded stereo, handling, mileage for a 4 wheel drive, albeit all wheel drive vehicle. Pickup from stop for such a small motor/hybrid vehicle. I can pull away from a light on battery if I want or step on it in a hurry.

Suggested Improvements

Cargo space. The Sable wagon has more! H/L 4 wheel drive and a 2 wheel/4 wheel option. That would improve mileage. Worst feature is the warranty. Better battery life for running on motor only. Ford still has 3 year warranty for this vehicle. Sad, very sad. Hybrid battery has 8 year.